McGregor - Mayweather

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
What a lot of people don't realize about McGregor is that his two strengths when it comes to his boxing ability is his accuracy (probably the most accurate I've ever seen in MMA) and his length/reach. So, whatever anyone says, both of those translate over into a boxing match and are probably the two most needed things to beat Floyd. I've yet to see someone facing Mayweather who utilizes length like McGregor does, and if anything, distance is what Mayweather has utilized well and preyed on opponents with. Take that away and who knows. Reach CAN be everything when you've got someone like Mayweather who totally relies on staying JUST out of his opponents reach. Jon Jones is a perfect example of someone who relied on that. Then, enter in Gustafsson, and someone can get exposed QUICKLY. Also, if they fight at 145, McGregor is the biggest looking 145 pounder I've ever seen, which will help him in earlier rounds, but at the same time, raise to question his later rounds.

Truthfully, my two biggest question marks for McGregor are his stamina and how he'll have to alter his fight style. In MMA, he has been able to get away with the taunting (ego getting the best of him), opening himself up and not playing good defense. That crap won't fly during a Mayweather fight. Also, if I've got to name McGregor's biggest weaknesses, it is probably those things as well as his take down defense. Obviously, I said he needs to work on the former, but in boxing, he won't have to worry about the latter.

With all this said, anybody saying Mayweather will knock McGregor out immediately are straight up stupid and haven't watched Mayweather lately or McGregor probably at all. Truthfully, if we are just talking knock-outs, McGregor is probably the more likely to knock Mayweather out, even though I doubt either gets knocked out early.

Oh yeah, and no, I'm not a dumb dumb. I'll flip it around and say those dismissing McGregor so quickly are treading in that territory.

I think Canelo Alvarez would like to call you down to the altar on the length factor.

Reactions: Knownothing and GTO

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
The idea that people think this will even be a competitive boxing match shows how far boxing has fallen in many ways and how MMA will never have any credibility.

The sad part is the best fight out there coming up is one many folks aren't talking about Canelo vs. GGG

I get why 100% because both sports are having a hard time sustaining stars

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I think Canelo Alvarez would like to call you down to the altar on the length factor.

Mcgegor and Alvarez: Same height (yes, height plays factor too)

Reach:
McGregor: 74 inches
Alvarez: 70 1/2 inches

Yes, 3 1/2 inches is a lot and it isn't solely about pure stats, its also how you utilize it.

Having a hard time finding leg reach for Alvarez, but based on builds, I'd say McGregors is larger in that as well.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So actual pro boxers can't hurt Floyd (let alone knock him out) but McGregor can? Give me a freaking break. Hey, remember when Rhonda Rousey could beat a bunch of male fighters?

UFC fans just eat up whatever Dana White sells them.

But Rousey wasn't that good. She came up in a new division with people who weren't that good. She beat a bunch of amateurs. Once she fought any sort of striker, she got flattened. Joanna would kill her and shes way smaller. The Rousey thing never would have been such a huge deal had Jones not had trouble and McGregor not established. The UFC was in a time where they didn't have much for stars, no one was challenging Aldo, and the other weight classes were switching the belt every fight. They needed a star and she was at the right place at the right time. I don't remember people saying she'd beat males in her weight class. I do remember DW saying she'd ragdoll Floyd, which, she probably would in a judo match.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL

Reach:

Yes, 3 1/2 inches is a lot and it isn't solely about pure stats, its also how you utilize it.

Having a hard time finding leg reach for Alvarez, but based on builds, I'd say McGregors is larger in that as well.

But you said that no opponent had a reach factor that has fought Floyd when thats not true. I agree with all your other points I'm just frustrated by some people who really believe this is going to be a contest

Reactions: Knownothing

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Reach:

The thing people don't realize is that length doesn't matter if you can't use it. I think you missed on that being CMs best skill. His judgement of distance and knowing exactly where he can hit you bit you can't hit him is phenomenal.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
But you said that no opponent had a reach factor that has fought Floyd when thats not true. I agree with all your other points I'm just frustrated by some people who really believe this is going to be a contest

Isn't Floyd's reach 72 inches?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

So how is that still not true? I just showed you with statistics how that is true. He hasn't fought someone with the length factor of McGregor.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The thing people don't realize is that length doesn't matter if you can't use it. I think you missed on that being CMs best skill. His judgement of distance and knowing exactly where he can hit you bit you can't hit him is phenomenal.

Little confused by this response as maybe you have a typo or something. With that said, I still hold McGregor's accuracy AND length are his two greatest assets. An yes, it isn't just about length, but how you utilize it and McGregor utilizes is up there with the best of them. Plus, accuracy and length are a deadly combo, which is why McGregor has the knockouts he does. I know it has been a bit since McGregor has fought at 145, but the dude looked like Goliath out there fighting David in every single fight. The dude is huge for that weight class. He cuts weight to his benefit probably as well as anyone I've ever seen. He has to though because if he wasn't elite at how he cuts weight, any other dude out there with his body would be forced to fight at 155. Again, this is why if anything, McGregor will be at a disadvantage in the later rounds and why he won't get knocked out early by Floyd.

Last edited:

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It goes way beyond reach advantages and fighting styles. There's a 4 oz difference between boxing gloves and mma gloves. The shoes are different, the stances are different, the fighting distance is different, the types of punches are different.

All of these things Floyd has practiced and fought with his entire adult life. Conner is going to master it in a few months?

Reactions: Knownothing

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It goes way beyond reach advantages and fighting styles. There's a 4 oz difference between boxing gloves and mma gloves. The shoes are different, the stances are different, the fighting distance is different, the types of punches are different.

All of these things Floyd has practiced and fought with his entire adult life. Conner is going to master it in a few months?

I agree that those are big obstacles to cover, but it also hasn't been like McGregor has never boxed before because he has. In fact, if I had to pick a winner, I'd pick Mayweather by decision for a lot of those reasons you just stated. However, I do think that people are dismissing McGregor way too easy out there in this fight, and that it will be closer than anyone thinks. McGregor is a tremendously talented fighter AND athlete, unlike definitely the sport of MMA has seen before. Like I talked in my previous post, he truly is the new evolutionary breed of higher-level athlete that both boxing and MMA have struggled to attract away from other sports in the past. I also still stand by my statement that if anyone is getting knocked out, the greater chance will be Mayweather.

P.S. If you can't tell by now, yes, I have put a lot of emphasis on athleticism, and I recognize that. So, it is worth noting, I'm also one of those people who believe that if Lebron James decided to play tight end in the NFL right now, or any previous time in his career, he'd be the best tight end in the league at least by year 2.

Last edited:

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
This is still the biggest joke in the history of professional sports. If this fight happens, anyone that buys the PPV will have gotten taken worse than any fight I can ever remember. Even worse than the hype built up for Peter McNeeley as the "great white hype" to fight Tyson after leaving prison.

Seriously, this is a joke. Do not buy into the hype.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
The sad part is the best fight out there coming up is one many folks aren't talking about Canelo vs. GGG

I'm insanely excited for this fight. Only problem for me is these guys are my two favorite fighters, by far and I can't decide who I want to win.

GGG lost some prestige in that Jacobs fight and Alvarez is one of the best counter punchers I've ever seen. This fight could/should be an all time great. I'm surprised Canelo is such an early underdog, I can easily see him outpointing GGG if he can withstand that Kazakh power.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing and GTO

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Floyd will punch him twice and play defense for the rest of the fight and win by decision. Most boring boxer of all time

Agree.

At least Floyd didn't wait until McGregor was 5 years past his prime to step in with him like he did with virtually all of his other opponents. Guy built an undefeated record with that MO.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneGuy8

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Agree.

At least Floyd didn't wait until McGregor was 5 years past his prime to step in with him like he did with virtually all of his other opponents. Guy built an undefeated record with that MO.

You're not wrong, but IMO he's still one of the GOATs.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Agree.

That's how it seems. I wonder if Floyd has ever taken a fight unless he was absolutely sure he would win it, if he was just really that good, or if he just happened to come along at time when there were no other great boxers in his class. Maybe a combination of all three?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
That's how it seems. I wonder if Floyd has ever taken a fight unless he was absolutely sure he would win it, if he was just really that good, or if he just happened to come along at time when there were no other great boxers in his class. Maybe a combination of all three?

Floyd's a great boxer no doubt. But he ducked Pac for years for completely bogus reasons. And there's no way he should've gotten the decision in his first fight v. Castillo.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
if mcgreggor was an amazing boxer he would be a boxer. he isnt and hes not and he has no chance against floyd. The best boxers in the world cant beat floyd why the f would someone who isnt a boxer be able to. Be smart. This is a payday and everyone including connor knows it. When he loses horribly, he will simply say, ok, lets fight my style and see what happens. He loses nothing. You cant just makeup stuff saying well for an mma fighter he is pretty good and his reach is 1/10 of an inch longer and in one fight he ducked a punch once. THis is a boxing match. Floyd is an all time great boxer. Game over.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
What a lot of people don't realize about McGregor is that his two strengths when it comes to his boxing ability is his accuracy (probably the most accurate I've ever seen in MMA) and his length/reach. So, whatever anyone says, both of those translate over into a boxing match and are probably the two most needed things to beat Floyd. I've yet to see someone facing Mayweather who utilizes length like McGregor does, and if anything, distance is what Mayweather has utilized well and preyed on opponents with. Take that away and who knows. Reach CAN be everything when you've got someone like Mayweather who totally relies on staying JUST out of his opponents reach. Jon Jones is a perfect example of someone who relied on that. Then, enter in Gustafsson, and someone can get exposed QUICKLY. Also, if they fight at 145, McGregor is the biggest looking 145 pounder I've ever seen, which will help him in earlier rounds, but at the same time, raise to question his later rounds.

Truthfully, my two biggest question marks for McGregor are his stamina and how he'll have to alter his fight style. In MMA, he has been able to get away with the taunting (ego getting the best of him), opening himself up and not playing good defense. That crap won't fly during a Mayweather fight. Also, if I've got to name McGregor's biggest weaknesses, it is probably those things as well as his take down defense. Obviously, I said he needs to work on the former, but in boxing, he won't have to worry about the latter.

With all this said, anybody saying Mayweather will knock McGregor out immediately are straight up stupid and haven't watched Mayweather lately or McGregor probably at all. Truthfully, if we are just talking knock-outs, McGregor is probably the more likely to knock Mayweather out, even though I doubt either gets knocked out early.

Oh yeah, and no, I'm not a dumb dumb. I'll flip it around and say those dismissing McGregor so quickly are treading in that territory.

Actually his biggest problem will be his footwork. It takes years to master footworknin the boxing ring. Still going Floyd in 7 do to massive amounts of punches over 7 rounds

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron