Summer Concert Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Anyone else go to the Chili Peppers? Holy cow, that was a show! I took my brother who has been to several concerts, but never a "rock" concert. Did not disappoint.

• Agree
Reactions: DeftOne

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Anyone else go to the Chili Peppers? Holy cow, that was a show! I took my brother who has been to several concerts, but never a "rock" concert. Did not disappoint.
Yeah, it was a great show. My seats were terrible (partially obstructed view -- thanks for NOT pointing that out Iowa Events Center...sigh), but I still had a good time.

Reactions: Cybyassociation

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
The Everclear show at Brenton Skating Plaza was...OK, I guess.

I'm no sound engineer, but the audio mix was terrible in my opinion -- especially during the Vertical Horizon set. Waaaay too much bass. The bass drum and bass guitar were completely muddled and overpowered everything. It wasn't as bad during the Fastball and Everclear sets, so I guess it must have been a Vertical Horizon preference.

Brenton Skating Plaza is a neat outdoor-ish venue. I'd go back.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Anyone going to Tom Petty tonight?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Nope but turnpike troubadours on Friday....

I'm bummed to be missing that. And Electric Six is Wednesday, and I'm also missing that.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yes, been a long time fan but this is my first time seeing him and the Heartbreakers. Also looking forward to seeing Joe Walsh open the show!

My first time, too! He's been on my bucket list, so I'm really glad to go!

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
Son Volt tomorrow night. Drive By Truckers and Govt. Mule for Nitefall on the River this year. Going to Peoria in July for Tailgate and Tallboy's Series, which will have Turnpike Troubadours, Cody Canada, Lucero and Nikki Lane. Kenny Wayne Sheppard at Hoyt later this year.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Tom Petty was great last night 2 hour show and what a bonus with Joe Walsh for an opener.

I was impressed with Joe Walsh. I wasn't expecting much, but he's definitely still got it. He had some really impressive solos.

Petty was great as well. I thought Don't Come Around Here No More was the best song they did, but that's really splitting hairs, because it was all good.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Tom Petty was great last night 2 hour show and what a bonus with Joe Walsh for an opener.

It's insane to think that those dudes, combined, are like 135 years old. But they were up there just rocking for almost four hours. I thought the show was really, really good. Joe Walsh can still shred - and there wasn't a down minute, really, in Petty's entire set. I couldn't believe how long they played. LOVED that there were so many songs from Wildflowers.

johnstoncy

Oct 18, 2006
Johnston
www.rtsports.com
I was impressed with Joe Walsh. I wasn't expecting much, but he's definitely still got it. He had some really impressive solos.

Petty was great as well. I thought Don't Come Around Here No More was the best song they did, but that's really splitting hairs, because it was all good.

Yes, that whole sequence from Don't Come Around Here through the Wildfire songs and ending with Learning To Fly was the highlight for me. Especially when he sings a little backup to the crowd during Learning to Fly.

• Agree

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Saw Boston on Sunday night. Played for 2 & 1/2 hours. Sounded great although at times the instruments overpowered the vocals. Band leader Tom Scholz has an electrical engineering degree from MIT and he designs and builds their amplifiers and other electronic equipment that gives Boston their unique sound. Not sure where their tour is headed after Grand Island, NE, but it is just getting started.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
What sold me was Avenged Sevenfold. It'll be cool to see Metallica in concert but A7X is one of my favorite bands.

Have you heard what order the opening bands will play? The way it's listed I'm thinking Volbeat will be first but was hoping the other way around.