Playstation Vue to replace satellite.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
I recently cancelled my Directv subscription. I have been researching streaming options and I am intrigued with PlayStation Vue. Does anyone have any experience with PlayStation Vue or a similar streaming service?

• Funny
Reactions: C.A.H.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Search CF for cord cutter and Vue. Everything you need to know. I went from Directv to DirectvNow.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I recently cancelled my Directv subscription. I have been researching streaming options and I am intrigued with PlayStation Vue. Does anyone have any experience with PlayStation Vue or a similar streaming service?

I have it. Picture quality has improved since I moved my Wi-Fi.

The DVR function sets it apart. I find it to be a very good value. Saving $90/mo on TV since I switched.

They have the sports I want and local channels in my market (which is huge)

CyJam

Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO

I moved from Comcast to Playstation Vue a couple weeks ago. No problem finding the same shows I used to watch for much less money. I primarily watch it using a Roku 3.

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
Vue is awesome. Same channels I like to watch for a lot less money. I would recommend it

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Once again, you didn't cut the cord - you unplugged one of DirecTV's cords and plugged in another one of theirs. It might be less expensive, but it's still one of DirecTV's cords.

Did I say I cut the cord or did I say to search on that? You need a reading comprehension remedial class or are you just having a bad day?

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Going to do the free trial of Vue over this holiday weekend. Right now I have DirecTV and am paying an insane $150/month for a relatively light package of 2 TV's and the "Genie" DVR setup. I got the outside antenna positioned and hooked up, ready for the trial this weekend and will be disconnecting the DirecTV to make sure we get what we need without it.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Similar to VUE, I'm on Sling. Couldn't be happier. Whole home antenna setup for locals and netflix.

Just make sure your internet has some horsepower. Get that squared away and you're set.

I'm saving roughly $75 bucks a month by jumping to antenna and Sling vs Dish

• Dislike
Reactions: LivntheCyLife

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
There are a ton of other threads on this on CF (and I used many of them myself when I cut the cord) but in a short answer, yes PS Vue is definitely worth it. I'm paying $34.99 a month for all the channels I need, plus with DVR and on demand service. Took the DirecTV dish off the roof of my house and replaced it with an antenna for OTA channels, and I've got everything I need for about $80 less per month (would have been more but I upgraded my internet speed as well).

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I moved from Comcast to Playstation Vue a couple weeks ago. No problem finding the same shows I used to watch for much less money. I primarily watch it using a Roku 3.
Did they finally fix the horrible Roku UI?

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Once again, you didn't cut the cord - you unplugged one of DirecTV's cords and plugged in another one of theirs. It might be less expensive, but it's still one of DirecTV's cords.

What is your definition of cutting the cord? Most people consider cancelling traditional cable or satellite TV services and switching to streaming video TV/media services to be cutting the cord. It puts the power in your hand as a consumer by eliminating the 1-2 year contracts and allows you to competitively shop multiple services and change providers at any time.

Using DirecTV Now is cutting the cord. It's a fundamentally different service from DirecTV's satellite service. If it isn't, then PS Vue and Sling TV are also not cutting the cord, they are the exact same type of service as DirecTV Now.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I switched to Vue from Dish. The only channels I miss are History and A&E. I'm sure eventually they'll come. Save $105/mo. I did have 4 TV's on Dish.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I'm on Vue as well with an OTA for live network tv. It's not perfect, but it's very good.

I had Directv Now with their intro pricing, was not good and couldn't sign in to most apps with the login. I didn't try sling as Vue matched what I wanted more, but it seems very well reviewed also.

bld1942

Apr 7, 2006
Cancelled Directv over $100 month. Have 2 Apple tv gen 4 with VUE $34.99 month package, get all the sports and other channels we watch live streaming, no contract. You can go to VUES website and see packages and costs. Right now channel 8 in Des Moines is the only live station. Did a free 7 day trial before I cancelled Directv. Works great with only a few pauses while streaming.

• Informative
Reactions: 3GenClone

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I switched from Dish to Vue in February. I used the Roku stick. My biggest complaint with using Roku is they do not have a guide, as well as local channels in the Quad Cities. If they could eventually get one I would probably go back. I switched back to Dish with their flexpack, as they offered no price increase for 2 years (the length of the contract). Pay about $12 more than I did with Vue/Hulu. Happy for now but if prices jump decidedly when the 24 months are up I will probably switch back to Vue or something similiar.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
What is your definition of cutting the cord? Most people consider cancelling traditional cable or satellite TV services and switching to streaming video TV/media services to be cutting the cord. It puts the power in your hand as a consumer by eliminating the 1-2 year contracts and allows you to competitively shop multiple services and change providers at any time.

Using DirecTV Now is cutting the cord. It's a fundamentally different service from DirecTV's satellite service. If it isn't, then PS Vue and Sling TV are also not cutting the cord, they are the exact same type of service as DirecTV Now.

What's funny is that switching from satellite, which doesn't rely on a physical connection until the signal reaches the house, to some kind of streaming service is actually more reliant on cords.

Help Support Us

Become a patron