Apr 21, 2006
Newton
  • Agree
Reactions: srjclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ned Stark isn't Jaqen. Ned is Dead. Poor old dead Ned.

b0b9b2aed00ba4cfb320064f6257986d.jpg

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well the theory I read said that Ned put a Ned face on someone else who got executed. And then Ned put a Jaqen face on. Makes sense why Jaqen took such a shine to Arya so long ago.

Not saying I buy it, but like any conspiracy theory, there's a shred of believability behind it.

I thought a person had to be dead before a faceless one could use that person's face.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So what do people think of the new Arya theory that is gaining a lot of steam? I think it's very unlikely but it states that the Waif actually killed Arya and is now going through her list. Would be a sad and interesting twist and restore more legitimacy to the house of black and white.

Wasn't one of the big theories that the Waif was actually one of Walder Frey's bastards? Personally I like that theory more as it explains the outright animosity the Waif has for Arya. If it so happens that the Waif is a Frey (or a Rivers), why would she bother to complete a Stark hitlist? In fact, even if the Waif isn't a Frey, what would be her motivation to complete that hit list anyway?

The other reason I don't like the theory is the latter parts of the series seem to be playing out like an outright Stark redemption story for all the **** they went through basically from the time Joeffry took Ned's head through when the Night's Watch betrayed Jon Snow. Look at them now - Jon Snow is actually insert Valyrianesque name here "Jon" Targaryen, son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, named King of the North with an at least somewhat legitimate claim to the Iron Throne (although he doesn't know most of this yet - but Bran does). Sansa Stark has grown up to become the Stark's politician that knows how to play the game of thrones. Bran for all intents and purposes is the new Three-Eyed Raven (whether that actually happens or not, we'll see). For Arya to actually be an Arya-faced Waif would be a kick to the stones of the Stark revenge tour.

Reactions: runbikeswim

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Wasn't one of the big theories that the Waif was actually one of Walder Frey's bastards? Personally I like that theory more as it explains the outright animosity the Waif has for Arya. If it so happens that the Waif is a Frey (or a Rivers), why would she bother to complete a Stark hitlist? In fact, even if the Waif isn't a Frey, what would be her motivation to complete that hit list anyway?

The other reason I don't like the theory is the latter parts of the series seem to be playing out like an outright Stark redemption story for all the **** they went through basically from the time Joeffry took Ned's head through when the Night's Watch betrayed Jon Snow. Look at them now - Jon Snow is actually insert Valyrianesque name here "Jon" Targaryen, son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, named King of the North with an at least somewhat legitimate claim to the Iron Throne (although he doesn't know most of this yet - but Bran does). Sansa Stark has grown up to become the Stark's politician that knows how to play the game of thrones. Bran for all intents and purposes is the new Three-Eyed Raven (whether that actually happens or not, we'll see). For Arya to actually be an Arya-faced Waif would be a kick to the stones of the Stark revenge tour.

It would be a major let down if the wait took Aryas face after we spent so much time on her story last season.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No, some dead dude had Arya's face on when she was in the house of black and white.

That was either a glamour (something that the Faceless Men generally don't rely on) or an existing face from someone that coincidentally happened to look like Arya (either of which intended to freak Arya out) or Arya's imagination. Otherwise, if they had the power to look like anybody at any time whether living or dead whenever they wanted, why bother keeping a cellar with walls covered with random faces, and why bother showing Jaqen carving the face off of a corpse?

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
That was either a glamour (something that the Faceless Men generally don't rely on) or an existing face from someone that coincidentally happened to look like Arya (either of which intended to freak Arya out) or Arya's imagination. Otherwise, if they had the power to look like anybody at any time whether living or dead whenever they wanted, why bother keeping a cellar with walls covered with random faces, and why bother showing Jaqen carving the face off of a corpse?
very good point

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
My wife thinks a dragon will get killed and revived by the Night King. I can't decide if I would like to see that or not. On one hand, I keep seeing what Daenerys has assembled and am having a hard time find someone to give her much of a fight. Having a dragon turn and battle the other two would level the playing field. A level battle field makes things more interesting.

On the other hand, if a dragon gets turned, I could see it dominating the story more than I'd like. They have done a good job of not overusing the dragons to this point. I like their inclusion, but I don't want them dominating the story-line or become too unstoppable either.
I agree with her. I think one of the dragons turns but as long as it isn't Drogon it won't matter. He is the biggest of the three.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
That link doesn't support the comment that Winds of Winter WON'T be released this year, where I asked for the link. That link stated its "release is uncertain." While I'm not optimistic about its release this year, that link still better supports the past articles about probably or MAYBE vs WON'T.

Not to be argumentative but you quoted me saying "won't be 2017 for sure" which is not the same as "WON'T"

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Just for convo:

Who's death surprised you the most?
Who are you surprised to see still alive?
Who's death pleased you the most?