RECRUITING: Zachary Ross has committed

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Let me explain recruiting 101. Some schools tell recruits they are probably going to offer them a scholarship and they want to keep an eye on them a few more games. So basically another school has offered them and they accept that. Here is what that means. It means I thought he was going to wait and take an Iowa Offer once it came. Which I still believe will come. So in child like terms since everyone on here plays stupid half the time. I thought the kid would wait to receive that Iowa offer and if he didn't I expected him to go elsewhere. Much like Monte Morris. He accepted our offer and then finally got an offer from a Michigan school. Many people thought he would wait to see if one of the two Michigan schools would offer. See that is how I thought he would go to Iowa, Without an Offer.

Technically Michigan did offer but gave him 24 hours to decide and then pulled the offer when he wouldn't decide at 15 to commit essentially on the spot.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
It's not like Iowa State has never gotten in-state linemen before Campbell. In the 8 years prior to Campbell's arrival, so approximately the Rhodes era, we had at least 1 OL from Iowa every year except 2014. 2011, 2013 and 2015 all had two. I doubt Iowa's staff is losing a lot of sleep over us taking all of the good OL.

But, were they 270 lb small frame guys or 295 lb men?????

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Exactly, under Rhodes we seemed to get the 260-270 lbs guys with the plan to put weight on them.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
But, were they 270 lb small frame guys or 295 lb men?????
I can do more research and let you know. But don't act like Iowa State was playing with high school guys until the last couple years. My concern if any with Ross is whether he's already fully developed. Valley and Dowling guys have been really well coached and trained. Not many have become good D1 players.

Apr 19, 2006
I've been told it's down to Iowa and Ohio State...and if ND offers they would be in the mix also.

I'm not so sure about ND as it sounds like Kelly had a Kelly moment while the family was on a visit and his parents were pretty turned off by his antics. I think if Kelly wasn't there ND would be in a pretty good position to land him.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I'm not so sure about ND as it sounds like Kelly had a Kelly moment while the family was on a visit and his parents were pretty turned off by his antics. I think if Kelly wasn't there ND would be in a pretty good position to land him.

Had not heard that but I like it.

• Informative
Reactions: Thefullmonte

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Waggoner can do so much better than Iowa, but if he grew up a Hawkeye fan then sometimes that's hard to turn down.

If I had a ton of offers out of HS, I know it would have been really hard for me to go anywhere but ISU.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Does CMC have much of a track record with kids that are verballed and get injured? If this was an SEC commit, his scholly would most likely be gone.

Hate seeing a kid get hurt.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Does CMC have much of a track record with kids that are verballed and get injured? If this was an SEC commit, his scholly would most likely be gone.

Yeah. Usually he burns the family's house down, kicks the family dog, and gets the parents fired from their jobs so they have literally nothing left. He hates kids that get hurt.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Yeah. Usually he burns the family's house down, kicks the family dog, and gets the parents fired from their jobs so they have literally nothing left. He hates kids that get hurt.
I find this hard to believe. Seems out of character, not to mention illegal and surely JPs background check would've revealed previous arson charges. Do you have a link?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

Only one at Iowa State that I know of is Angel Dominguez. He tore his ACL at the beginning of last football season(end of August, I believe) and he is now on campus. Other than that I have no idea. Doubt he'd do much of that at Toledo, as they were probably the ones trying to swoop in on the kids who got hurt.

• Informative
Reactions: YeahBuddy

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Only one at Iowa State that I know of is Angel Dominguez. He tore his ACL at the beginning of last football season(end of August, I believe) and he is now on campus. Other than that I have no idea. Doubt he'd do much of that at Toledo, as they were probably the ones trying to swoop in on the kids who got hurt.

Thanks for the good discussion.

• Friendly
Reactions: srjclone