RECRUITING: Zachary Ross has committed

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Stop trying to use your facts and sound reasoning in what is the forum equivalent of /r/The_Donald for Cyclone athletics, particularly recruiting stories. :p
Ha ha. Typically I try to fact check stuff, say my piece if I can add anything and then escape when the 2nd grade level arguing between the likes of CyTwins and Yeah Buddy or the bluster of others inevitably starts.

Reactions: bozclone

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
To my untrained eye, Zach looks like a kid that needs to get stronger. To me, that's the thing that stuck out the most. Otherwise, he plays tough and with intensity. He's pretty quick, too.
Much easier to fix strength than it is those other things.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Exactly. We need to stop worrying about those losers. They are a sinking ship. We are going to rise far above them very soon. To worry about whether or not they offered him is beneath us at this point.
Looks like I stuck around too long.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Gent

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm not worried about Ross's strength at this point, our staff has all of the needed tools to make that happen. This did get me thinking though and it's amazing how differently Iowa State is recruiting the o-line comparded to the prior staff. Below are the average weights of o-line recruits for CMC's first 2 classes and the 2018 class to date, as well as CPR's last 7 classes. We all knew that the prior staff put a huge emphasis on frame type/potential but it's pretty obvious that the current staff is recruiting both size and potential. I was never a fan of CPR's approach to the o-line and I would like to think that going after bigger guys who's bodies are used to carrying the weight will have a much higher success rate as far as development goes vs. smaller guys that are packing on both good and bad weight to get to a serviceable playing size.

CMC
2018 290
2017 293
2016 295

CPR
2015 290
2014 312
2013 260
2012 280
2011 268
2010 274
This is all true, but you left out one trait that Rhoads was looking for. He wanted a large frame, potential and mobility. He thought it a lot tougher to get an already large kid to increase his mobility appreciably than to take a large framed kid who already moved very well and put muscle on his frame. I don't think it is necessarily a bad philosophy when playing in the Big 12 where speed on defense is supreme. But if Campbell can recruit size with mobility that is better still. If, as you say, he gets guys that are already accustomed to carrying that weight we might see a small decrease in O-line injuries. Any help in that area will be welcomed.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I imagine that where teams stand with Waggoner will be more clear after all his summer visits. I do think Iowa is in a pretty good spot with him. I believe both his parents went to Iowa.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
How can he go to Iowa without an offer?

Let me explain recruiting 101. Some schools tell recruits they are probably going to offer them a scholarship and they want to keep an eye on them a few more games. So basically another school has offered them and they accept that. Here is what that means. It means I thought he was going to wait and take an Iowa Offer once it came. Which I still believe will come. So in child like terms since everyone on here plays stupid half the time. I thought the kid would wait to receive that Iowa offer and if he didn't I expected him to go elsewhere. Much like Monte Morris. He accepted our offer and then finally got an offer from a Michigan school. Many people thought he would wait to see if one of the two Michigan schools would offer. See that is how I thought he would go to Iowa, Without an Offer.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Let me explain recruiting 101. Some schools tell recruits they are probably going to offer them a scholarship and they want to keep an eye on them a few more games. So basically another school has offered them and they accept that. Here is what that means. It means I thought he was going to wait and take an Iowa Offer once it came. Which I still believe will come. So in child like terms since everyone on here plays stupid half the time. I thought the kid would wait to receive that Iowa offer and if he didn't I expected him to go elsewhere. Much like Monte Morris. He accepted our offer and then finally got an offer from a Michigan school. Many people thought he would wait to see if one of the two Michigan schools would offer. See that is how I thought he would go to Iowa, Without an Offer.

Well I would be shocked if Iowa offers Ross.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah, depends on who we're playing. It's tough sledding against B1G defenses for sure.

And those bowl games. Tough to get the points on the board in those darn bowl games. I guess I would expect an elite offensive line to make it possible in the B1G or against any opponent but that's just me.....

Has to be frustrating to have the nations best offensive line while watching much less than average offensive performance?!

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
If he was a sure thing to Iowa if they offered why would he commit to the good guys now? If he really wanted to be a Hawkeye and Iowa State was nothing but plan B I would think that he would have let the process play out. Maybe he likes what he is seeing/hearing up in Ames and wants to be part of it.

Are you suggesting he actually might want to play for an offense that moves the ball?