***Official Iowa State Golf NCAA Championship***

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This is a reminder (or notice for the half-in ISU fans) that Iowa State plays at Nationals starting Friday. I've mentioned it to a few ISU fans that were golf fans and they had no idea so I thought I'd throw a thread out there.

Historically, our golf program has hovered maybe right above our football program and that may be a stretch. We made it to the NCAA Finals in 2014, but prior to that it had been about 60 years. Since they had been there since. If you look at the 30 teams competing and the teams that usually make it, it's pretty impressive just to make it when you're this far north mostly because you can imagine recruiting a golfer to Iowa would be difficult.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Here's the ISU recap of last week and preview of the play Friday:

http://www.cyclones.com/news/2017/5/22/mens-golf-isu-among-the-nations-elite.aspx

All 30 teams and six individuals (156 total golfers) competing will play 54 holes of stroke play on May 26-28, after which the top 15 teams and nine individuals not on an advancing team will be determined. That is followed by a final day of stroke play on May 29 to determine the top eight teams that will advance to match play as well as the 72-hole individual champion.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Top finisher not on a team advancing from each of the regionals. If ISU had not advanced Voke would have been there (obviously, as the medalist at the regional).

Seems like an awfully small number. And makes it even more impressive that ISU is getting recruits. Basically, if your team doesn't make it, you don't. So, why would a really good golfer chance it at a northern school? One bad day/hole at regionals and you're done.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
the men's golf team performance is amazing - what a great coach too.

i actually think the ncaa championship is awesome golf to watch on tv - team match play is really fun, and watching the young kids bomb it is awesome.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
the men's golf team performance is amazing - what a great coach too.

i actually think the ncaa championship is awesome golf to watch on tv - team match play is really fun, and watching the young kids bomb it is awesome.

I played HS golf against Coach Tank. He wasn't that good (which of these limited moji is the closes to jimlad? Bring that ****** back please).

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Rich Harvest Farms looks pretty sweet. If they can continue to play like they did in Austin, then making the top 15 should be a real possibility. Good job by Tank over the years realizing that ISU needed international players to compete in golf.

Men's golf, women's golf and women's tennis were all pretty bad when I was in school. All have brought in a lot more international players and are much better now.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Rich Harvest Farms looks pretty sweet. If they can continue to play like they did in Austin, then making the top 15 should be a real possibility. Good job by Tank over the years realizing that ISU needed international players to compete in golf.

Men's golf, women's golf and women's tennis were all pretty bad when I was in school. All have brought in a lot more international players and are much better now.
Rich Harvest Farms is a beast of a course. It was about 20 miles from my house and pops up out of nowhere. Beautiful, and everything you hope for in a tournament style of course. But goddamn did it look difficult.

I went to watch the Solheim Cup there in 2009, and I was in awe of some of the shots those ladies were putting up. But with the shape of the fairways and trees/bunker placement, even great shots would go begging.

Very curious as to how the course plays because it has been pretty wet in Illinois and I wonder if that softness will help the players.

I will certainly be tuning in.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Is there anywhere to watch the action today? I for some reason was under the impression it'd be on the WatchESPN App, but I don't think that is right.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Our guys are holding strong!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Our guys are holding strong!

Actually I think this just an "okay" start although we are holding our own with the lower 2/3's of the ranked teams. The best teams have not teed off yet. Hopefully we can have a better 2nd nine. Lot of golf yet to be played.

* Just an observation, we are ranked near the bottom of the 30 teams and I DO want us to do well.

EDIT: Just did a refresh and we are back to even! :D
Go Cyclones!