CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
personally, im not against black/metallic. im also not against stuff looking awesome. what i am against is when incorporating those things means going away from a look that says 'iowa state.' the pride of school colors used to be a bigger deal apparently. might as well just let the kids pick the color of their letter jackets so they can look on trend. what i really dont understand is people arguing iowa states brand recognition nationally but then clamoring for random colors being incorporated into uniforms in the same breath. i would bet that CMC isnt getting recognized from a distance as being associated with iowa state by wearing black and silver. but hey, i bet the 'kids' think he looks super edgy!

I don't think the idea is to get away from the traditional colors. I doubt we will be seeing any Neon blue or green out there. It seems like more and more schools are going to this black/metallic look, though. Northwestern has even done it!

I also understand, though that fans want to keep a more traditional look and keep things simple (Alabama, Penn St, USC) Those schools don't need to worry about uniforms because they're constantly ranked. We have to get the recruits in the door first and I think a step towards that is getting newer, jaw-dropping uniforms.

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
Last night at the CR Tailgate tour stop, the last question from the crowd (which wasn't a question, it was a comment) an older gentlemen told Campbell "In this part of the state, if you are a Cyclone, you shouldn't wear black"

Lots of laughter after that comment. However, Campbell (wearing his usual black top with a silver ISU logo) said, at least there isn't any gold with the black. Then, he proceeded to have someone in the front stand up wearing a black ISU hat and black ISU shirt. Campbell said that was the direction they were heading for Uniform templates. Not sure what that means, if it slipped or if I drastically mis-heard him. It caught me off guard being a uniform junkie.

That is just FYI from the session last night. Wonder if we're getting black helmets as the surprise this year? I would be okay with that as long as the logo is stenciled on in a contrasting (not yellow) color. A silver or white ISU stencil logo on a matte black helmet would have potential to look pretty cool with our white or gray jerseys/pants.

McCarney years: red, yellow, navy blue
Chizik & Rhoads years: cardinal, yellow
Campbell: cardinal, yellow, black?

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
I don't think the idea is to get away from the traditional colors. I doubt we will be seeing any Neon blue or green out there. It seems like more and more schools are going to this black/metallic look, though. Northwestern has even done it!

I also understand, though that fans want to keep a more traditional look and keep things simple (Alabama, Penn St, USC) Those schools don't need to worry about uniforms because they're constantly ranked. We have to get the recruits in the door first and I think a step towards that is getting newer, jaw-dropping uniforms.

incorporating black is getting away from traditional colors. when you have nobody come to your games, you have to do whatever it takes. KU has recently gone to having like 6 helmet designs and uni combos all over the map to try and draw attention to their program. iowa state doesnt need to do this to such an extent. i will continue to try and show a billion options this program could embrace in order to have uniforms that are relevant, new, and accepted by fans yet still embody school colors. i would like to think that some of these options would be just as jaw-dropping to recruits if executed correctly.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
tnoah, i hope you do whatever the hell you want. if you enjoy it, dont let a few people discourage you.
The whole uniform thing has me a bit wore out. You, many others, Kagavi, etc. have come up w/ many good suggestions/ideas. I don't want to be doing 'uniforms' next year or 10 years from now. Black would be a step in the wrong direction, for the most part, IMO.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
yep, forgot i was going to change that.
This looks good (pic isu_tripleview_football_concept_9). Put some black or dark gray mid calf socks on that and I think you'd have it. That would the extent of 'my' black. (And maybe a pant stripe to match helmet; either way, looks great). :)

Last edited:

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

I think most people here are forgetting this fact. If Coach thinks black uni's help him recruit, then **** it... lets have black uni's every now and then. The GOAL is to get better players, not make fashion people like some of you are happy. We as a fan base seem to be more worried about how a logo looks from the stands/TV/on a helmet, etc.... WHO CARES? If we get better players and win with these guys we get, i'm happy no matter what the uni's look like. I'd rather go to bowl games consistently in ugly uni's according to everybody than look sharp as hell and lose all the time because of "tradition". If Matt Campbell thinks black or grey or whatever helps him on the recruiting trail, i'd be for it. It's his job to win.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
Great example of dual logo use:

View attachment 48027

517OGNygZOL._SX355_.jpg

Yeah but I can't tell who is playing? I'm going to have to assume that is an OU vs UT game??

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I think most people here are forgetting this fact. If Coach thinks black uni's help him recruit, then **** it... lets have black uni's every now and then. The GOAL is to get better players, not make fashion people like some of you are happy. We as a fan base seem to be more worried about how a logo looks from the stands/TV/on a helmet, etc.... WHO CARES? If we get better players and win with these guys we get, i'm happy no matter what the uni's look like. I'd rather go to bowl games consistently in ugly uni's according to everybody than look sharp as hell and lose all the time because of "tradition". If Matt Campbell thinks black or grey or whatever helps him on the recruiting trail, i'd be for it. It's his job to win.

I'm not for ditching our school colors and black is about as far away from them as you can get. It just wouldn't look right, and I'd be disappointed. We can make cool jerseys without using black, but Campbell has a hard-on for Ohio State, and guess who has been using more black?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
You are right. I do want to go the BCS next year! If they will look good (or not too great, in their underwear, I mean, whatever the uniform of the day is, and win, great.

I'm not bashing you, at all. I agree. But of course we can have good unis too.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I had someone who was at the CR Tailgate Tour last night also tell me that Campbell pointed to someone wearing black and said we'll see a lot more of that to come.

Personally, I don't like that idea at all, but I will withhold total judgement until I see what it looks like I guess. One of my problems with it is someone like Campbell who has been a "Cyclone" for less than 2 years then walks in and decides black is going to be a Cyclone color now. I would think JP might have something to say about going with black, wouldn't he?

I don't have as much of a problem with white and gray because if you look at baseball, nearly every team has a white home uniform option, and a gray away option even though they aren't part of their "colors". It just works. Black does not IMO.

And I agree with whoever it was that said if you go with black then you pretty much HAVE to use only black, white, and silver with it for it to look ok when your colors are cardinal and gold. The minute you combine cardinal with black you look like TT, and don't even think about adding gold with it or I'll get sick.

If we add black and still don't have a gold helmet option I might go ballistic.

I've been concerned with all the black and silver that Campbell has been wearing lately, but didn't really think he'd go there. But it all makes sense why he's been wearing it now. Maybe if everyone who sees him with it on tells him it looks like garbage he'll change his mind?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I had someone who was at the CR Tailgate Tour last night also tell me that Campbell pointed to someone wearing black and said we'll see a lot more of that to come.

Personally, I don't like that idea at all, but I will withhold total judgement until I see what it looks like I guess. One of my problems with it is someone like Campbell who has been a "Cyclone" for less than 2 years then walks in and decides black is going to be a Cyclone color now. I would think JP might have something to say about going with black, wouldn't he?

I don't have as much of a problem with white and gray because if you look at baseball, nearly every team has a white home uniform option, and a gray away option even though they aren't part of their "colors". It just works. Black does not IMO.

And I agree with whoever it was that said if you go with black then you pretty much HAVE to use only black, white, and silver with it for it to look ok when your colors are cardinal and gold. The minute you combine cardinal with black you look like TT, and don't even think about adding gold with it or I'll get sick.

If we add black and still don't have a gold helmet option I might go ballistic.

I've been concerned with all the black and silver that Campbell has been wearing lately, but didn't really think he'd go there. But it all makes sense why he's been wearing it now. Maybe if everyone who sees him with it on tells him it looks like garbage he'll change his mind?

The problem is it doesn't look like garbage. It doesn't look like ISU at all (which is a big probem), but it doesn't look like garbage.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The problem is it doesn't look like garbage. It doesn't look like ISU at all (which is a big probem), but it doesn't look like garbage.

That's what I mean. Of course it looks pretty sharp. I love the Raiders colors and uniforms. Heck, a lot of tuxedos are black with silver ties. It's definitely a sharp, sharp look.

But as you say, it's NOT Iowa State. I have a gut feeling that CMC has no idea how upset most ISU fans would be with this? Isn't that where JP would step in though? Maybe JP has given CMC full control on this kind of stuff?

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I would be thoroughly disappointed if they went with black. Grey looks pretty good (and connects with the storm theme), but black doesn't make any sense

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I'm not for ditching our school colors and black is about as far away from them as you can get. It just wouldn't look right, and I'd be disappointed. We can make cool jerseys without using black, but Campbell has a hard-on for Ohio State, and guess who has been using more black?

But as you say, it's NOT Iowa State. I have a gut feeling that CMC has no idea how upset most ISU fans would be with this? Isn't that where JP would step in though? Maybe JP has given CMC full control on this kind of stuff?[/QUOTE]

I don't think Campbell is worried how about upset fans get if we wear black uni's. Whatever. Who cares. Some of you are talking crazy... If we'd have this color of gold or this many stripes or this logo on the helmet or this whatever we'd win. Well, he needs to do what he needs to do to win. We hired him. I don't really care what the uni's look like.

He needs players to win. It's not up to us.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

And for the record, I thought Ohio State's use of black was totally hideous. They had one of the best uniforms in all of college football and ruined it with the black. Here's a quote from Uni Watch....

"That being said — taking the uniform for what it was — it was not a bad looking game nor was it even a bad looking uniform. As far as a pure uniform goes, the stripes all matched, the numbers were big (if not the most legible, but not bad) — in short, it looked like a uniform should. But not for Ohio State. The Scarlet and Gray are just that. Not Scarlet & Gray & Black.

We’ve reached a dark and scary place in uniform watching when the men from Columbus go BFBS. And it wasn’t even Hallowe’en."

Here is the game they were referring to against PSU. Is that TT? Nope, Ohio State.....

ncaa-football-penn-state-ohio-state-850x560.jpg

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Us going BFBS about fifteen years after it was cool would the most Iowa thing ever.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
I can't believe people are advocating for black unis. We already play AC/DC...maybe we should put a tigerhawk on our helmets too.