MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That might've been Lester's best performance as a Cub, which is pretty incredible
It's only his 2nd complete game as a Cub. In both those games, he's given up 1 run and struck out 10. The game against LA last year, the one run was a HR and he threw 113 pitches, so that would probably make this start the better one. A 99 pitch complete game is impressive.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I was curious and looked up Lester's game scores. Last night was a 93, his best as a Cub.

What site do you use. Baseball Reference has it at 85, which ties the start he had against LA last year. Im assuming the site you are using factors in HRs given up and pitch count (which it should), because those factors make it his best start as a Cub.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Dumb question: What is the game score stat and how is it figuared?

Thanks
The one I have always seen...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=lestejo01&t=p&year=2017

GSc -- Game Score
Developed by Bill James
1. Start with 50 points.
2. Add 1 point for each out recorded, so 3 points for every complete inning pitched.
3. Add 2 points for each inning completed after the 4th.
4. Add 1 point for each strikeout.
5. Subtract 2 points for each hit allowed.
6. Subtract 4 points for each earned run allowed.
7. Subtract 2 points for each unearned run allowed.
8. Subtract 1 point for each walk.

• Informative
Reactions: riceville98

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
What site do you use. Baseball Reference has it at 85, which ties the start he had against LA last year. Im assuming the site you are using factors in HRs given up and pitch count (which it should), because those factors make it his best start as a Cub.

Last night's box score had 93 and then I looked through the game logs on baseball reference for Lester since 2015.

I may be wrong

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Not sure if anyone is watching the game tonight but the interference call on Heyward was terrible. I can't decide if it was the right call on a bad rule or just a bad call but either way it could end up being a huge part in the game

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Not sure if anyone is watching the game tonight but the interference call on Heyward was terrible. I can't decide if it was the right call on a bad rule or just a bad call but either way it could end up being a huge part in the game
I think right call but the throw was so crappy it would have hit him no matter where he was running.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Hahaha never mind no complaints from me. That strike three was very generous

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Doesn't he get the full width of the bag? If so, it was tough to see if he went inside the bag at all. If he did, it wasn't by much. The throw hit him in the other leg on the foul side of the bag. Was it the home plate or 1st base ump making the call? The first base ump had zero view to determine if he was an inch or two inside the bag.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Doesn't he get the full width of the bag? If so, it was tough to see if he went inside the bag at all. If he did, it wasn't by much. The throw hit him in the other leg on the foul side of the bag. Was it the home plate or 1st base ump making the call? The first base ump had zero view to determine if he was an inch or two inside the bag.
The home plate umpire called it and called it immediately. He gave us one at the end and we got the win so I'm over it