RECRUITING: Michael Jacobson has committed

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
If we can get a couple top 100 guys for '18, we'll be in great shape.

SR: NWB, Shayok
JR: Solo, Jacobson, Long
SO: Wiggi, Lewis, Lard

Talent at every position. I think we could use a backup PG but we're pretty set other than that depth wise everywhere. Decent balance in the classes as well as Prohm was working towards.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
tumblr_ll7fdooep31qiggm3o1_500.gif

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
IMO, I think having Iowa kids adds more interest around the state. He said he's got lots of family and friends in Waukee, some of them might be Hawk fans that will now start watching the good guys.

I always think its nice when the hometown team has at least 1 hometown player.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I don't know much about Shayok, but it seems like Beverly, Brase and Jacobson are of the hard working, team player mentality.

I'm sure we could throw Shayok in that mix. You don't go to UVA if you don't want to be a hard working team player.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If we can get a couple top 100 guys for '18, we'll be in great shape.

SR: NWB, Shayok
JR: Solo, Jacobson, Long
SO: Wiggi, Lewis, Lard

Talent at every position. I think we could use a backup PG but we're pretty set other than that depth wise everywhere. Decent balance in the classes as well as Prohm was working towards.

Spinning that into positions...

POINTS -- Wiggi
WINGS -- NWB, Shayok, Long, Lewis
POSTS -- Solo, Jacobson, Lard

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Spinning that into positions...

POINTS -- Wiggi
WINGS -- NWB, Shayok, Long, Lewis
POSTS -- Solo, Jacobson, Lard
I wonder if we make a hard push for AJ Green? Not sure what other PG's we're looking at right now since I don't follow too closely.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I wonder if we make a hard push for AJ Green? Not sure what other PG's we're looking at right now since I don't follow too closely.

Just looking at that, my priorities would be...

-- backup PG for Wiggi/PG in waiting for if and when he goes pro
-- a wing shooter... still need to work on that
-- another post... Race Thompson would work lovely

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

The staff has already been pretty aggressive in recruiting Green not sure the really would ramp it up any more.
But if you want discuss a player choosing a program mainly due to a coaching connection hard to see AJ spurning UNI.

ISU just offered Lathm Sunday, pretty similar player to McNeil IMO.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Jacobson did have 9 points and 7 rebounds in a win vs Purdue this year. That would've been nice to have.
I think Jacobson's numbers would have been much higher if he didn't get that foot injury. He's going to be a much higher producer over next two years assuming he stays healthy. Great looking shot and can hit the three.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Jacobson did have 9 points and 7 rebounds in a win vs Purdue this year. That would've been nice to have.

I love Solomon to death and think he is going to be a good one for us.

Here was his stat line against Purdue this year, however...

upload_2017-5-23_18-22-32.png

20 minutes, made one FG and drew one foul, 2 rebounds, forced 2 turnovers

Not his best night, to say the least. Monté and Naz being cold that night from 3PT hurt, too. Glad to see two of our Wisconsin players went out on very high notes, however.

Jacobson, in their win against Purdue earlier in the season...

upload_2017-5-23_18-23-11.png

23 minutes, four FGs and drew one foul, 7 rebounds (including 5 on the offensive glass, most likely for himself given he missed 6 field goals), 2 assists, forced a turnover

If we had that kind of production against Purdue in Milwaukee in the same 20 minutes that we game Solomon, then we would have won that game in March. These are not even staggering numbers, either, just "average big man starter in a major conference" kind of stuff.

Jacobson would have been critical depth behind Niang and McKay two years ago and likely a starter for much of the season last year, if not the whole season depending on how Solomon developed, and that gritty guy down low and on the boards that we have missed for 2-3 years now. I would have killed to have had him as a #6 or #7 man the past two years.

I love the pickup. I can only imagine he will be better with 1.5 years to get fully healthy, hit the weight room, have some better coaching, and go hard in practice.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

A high school Point Guard, Wing Scorer and Tall/Athletic Post would all seem to be priority one. That would create class balance, so ISU is in more of a reload mode. After that we can take the best HS kid or fill a need among JUCO or transfer.