NBA-D - Iowa Energy to get new name

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I'm putting this in OT vs Pro forum as this is probably more a Des Moines interest discussion vs pro sport/NBA. Admins feel free to move if you don't agree.

Looks like all the big dogs will be in Des Moines for the announcement. Pretty cool but can't help but think how much of a bigger deal it could have been for central Iowa if instead of Tom Thibodeau, it was Fred Hoiberg.

New "name, logos and wordmarks" are in order for the (soon to be former) Energy...

Please join us for a very special press conference on Tuesday, May 30th at 1:00 PM as the Iowa Energy, in partnership with the Minnesota Timberwolves, usher in a new era of Professional Basketball to Central Iowa:

What: Iowa Energy to unveil new team identity as affiliate of Minnesota Timberwolves.
When: Tuesday, May 30th at 1:00 p.m.
Where: Room 308, Community Choice Credit Union Convention Center on the Iowa Events Center campus: 730 3rd St. Des Moines, IA 50309.

Details: Minnesota Timberwolves Majority Owner Glen Taylor, Timberwolves Head Coach & President of Basketball Operations Tom Thibodeau, Chief Executive Officer Ethan Casson and NBA Development League President Malcolm Turner will be in attendance to unveil the new team identity of the Iowa Energy including: name, logos and wordmarks.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Energy has run its course. I suppose it makes sense with our wind energy industry but the e85 thing is kinda dead. I look forward to see what they come up with. Hopefully somewhat Iowa related still

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Energy has run its course. I suppose it makes sense with our wind energy industry but the e85 thing is kinda dead. I look forward to see what they come up with. Hopefully somewhat Iowa related still

Actually, I don't think it is any of that.

They just became affiliated with the T-Wolves. Makes sense that the parent club would want to market themselves within the new name and try and expand their fan reach.

Would love D-Wolves (i.e...Des Moines Wolves), but will probably be something like Iowa Timberwolves.

Reactions: Cyclones423

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

They just became affiliated with the T-Wolves. Makes sense that the parent club would want to market themselves within the new name and try and expand their fan reach.

Would love D-Wolves (i.e...Des Moines Wolves), but will probably be something like Iowa Timberwolves.

Iowa CornDogs

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015

Is D-wolves another name for a group of cougars?

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I understand a new franchise is coming in. I'm just saying its a welcomed change in my eyes. Never really cared for the name.

• Agree
Reactions: mb7299

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Iowa CornDogs
Did you say corndogs......
LSU-Fan-Corndog-Hot-Chick-Blow-Job-300x283.jpg

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I actually always liked the name Energy, however I think it's cool to be paired up with someone locally.

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
The whole D-Leage, errrrrrrr G(spot)-League is changing their names... Just kidding around with the G-League nickname.

Last edited:

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
What are the odds that they are named "Iowa Corn"?
Colors = Green and Yellow. Green shorts; Jersey is yellow with wide green side panels.
Logo = Large ear of corn oriented northwest to southeast halfway through a hoop.
Mascots = Farm family of four each carrying an ear of corn in their right hands. Mother and daughter wearing cotton print dresses. Father and son in jeans, boots, and baseball caps with brims pointed forward.
Fight song = Pop 'em, pop 'em
Salt 'em, salt 'em
Butter them up
and...eat 'em.
Alternative version referring to shucking prohibited.

Court floor is light brown with green and dark brown striping.
Center jump and free throw circles are light blue representing ponds.
Nylon cording on rims replaced with bottomless bushel baskets.
Court side seats are bags of seed corn (think bean bags).

Concessions include popcorn, caramel corn, corn dogs, corn whiskey, maize beer, candy corn, and sugar-frosted corn pops.

Give-aways include gallon jugs of E-85 or corn syrup with a packet of artificial maple flavoring.

str8cashhomie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 15, 2014
We've got the ICubs already, so whatever it is I'll still probably either call it the D-Wolves or IoWolves

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron