Hilton's Floor Shaking

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
The Kansas game in Tinsley's last year was cool. Jake Sullivan was crazy that game.

The loudest I've heard as mentioned on here was 2004 texas, 2015 oklahoma, and a few others

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I've sat in roughly the same seats since the early to mid 90s (lower balcony) and all the games mentioned were notable and the volume has been pretty consistent. But there are definitely different types, some are just consistent noise throughout others really build and sometimes it just kind of explodes out of silence or nervous energy.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyguy94

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
There are several game clips I never tire of watching. Both the 1992 OSU and the 22-0 comeback against OU are high on the list.

Even with the edited version, OU game is a good example of "Hilton Crescendo." Sometimes, a game is mundane, but a gradual build-up of noise & emotion for players and fans occurs. Then, noise and chaos ensues.

Reactions: CRcyclone6

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I was at the 2013 game against Iowa where we trailed pretty much the entire game only to come back and win as Gesell choked away a couple free throws at the end. I just don't quite remember it being as loud as Aaron White described in an interview I read that he did for BCDivide that got posted yesterday. Anyone else remember the floor shaking that night? Here's some highlights below and it doesn't seem that nuts but it's always louder when you're actually there.

While true Iowa led much of the game, the narrative I have seen written several times is that we trailed the entire game and only had a chance to win it at the end because of Iowa mess ups. I think that is revisionist history if you go back and look at the game. If you watch the game, we were down 7 at half, were creeping closer during the first 10 minutes or so of the second half, then went ahead midway through the half. Iowa came back and got the lead up to 5, then the Clones took it. In the end, ISU outscored Iowa by 10 in the second half. It was a good ballgame, but we were clearly the better team in the second half.

http://scores.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=400498300

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
I think the Okie State game is the winner but don't overlook January 14, 1984.
Double OT victory over Iowa. My 1st game, a month from being 12. Ronnie Harris' 2nd dunk & place went absolutely bonkos. Cyclone Fanatic ever since.

Was at the LaFester game. Iowa came in highly rated with Armstrong, Marble, & that bunch. Was electric from the start. Everyone realized LaFester was hot, but right before half people were scoreboard watching seeing how many he was going to have by halftime. His last 3 or four scores of the half the crowd was progressively louder. Buzzer sounds & he had 32 at half I believe. Grayer's 20-something points (think 26) were his most quiet ever.

Played Missouri that season around Christmas & it was on ESPN. LaFester had big game scoring-wise & that was a raucous crowd. Most memorable part was the sign in the crowd "Fa La La La-Fester!"

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Was wrong on the Fa La La LaFester sign. Think that was at the Iowa game (Dec 19th). Remember during the Mizzou game at Hilton later in the season they showed clips of the Iowa game & that sign. Also looked & Iowa was 7th & ISU 20th. Then Coach Orr & Assistsnt Coach Close going at it after the end in OT. Classic

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis

I remember watching this game on television. I can't be the only Cyclone Alum who held student season tickets for three years (when i was a student) who was remembering a game that happened years earlier, Cyclones ahead by one with only a few seconds left, the other team's (perhaps Missouri) star player, an 80+% foul shooter, made a drive to the basket, needed to make 1 to tie, 2 to win, and unbelievably missed BOTH because of the noise and floor shaking in Hilton. So when I saw nearly the same situation on Television with Darwyn Alexander I knew what was possible. That magic was that it actually happened again.

There were so many years between Johnny Orr basketball, and Hoiberg uptempo basketball, I think in those years, fans somewhat forgot how to be so noisy (or their numbers were low enough, they couldn't get too noisy). During the Orr era, I remember it was one of my special pleasures to shut up for a second or two in the middle of the screaming, just to feel the vibrations of the floor.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
I was setting in the lower NE parquet section right where the ISU team comes out in the 92 OKIE STATE game and the concrete floor was vibrating under our feet from the noise Seems to be the loudest we have ever heard and felt Other game come close but that s the first time I ever felt the floor vibrating

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
I was at the OSU game when I was 12 and have been to many others since, including the Texas game, and Iowa games. The Iowa game was loud, but that OSU game was the loudest I have ever heard Hilton. It was amazing.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A game I don't think was mentioned, and I experienced only through radio: 1988 vs. Missouri ... crowd noise was extremely loud, even from the beginning of the game, it was at times hard to hear Pete & Eric over it. It must have been nuts being there. Anyone remember being at that game? Am I remembering it correctly?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
They weren't very nice to Mitch McGary either, but that was tame compared to Pierce. Best jab at an opponent EVER though, was the coordinated Cyclone Alley flop when they introduced Marcus Smart at that last game. :D

I think about the Cyclone Alley flop every time I see Marcus Smart playing for the Celtics. That event was organized by our own Cynado if I recall correctly. And against the wishes of the Cyclone Alley Central Committee. It was indeed majestic!

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Does anybody know anything about the construction of Hilton? I know that the Jack Trice upper deck is built to move to relieve structural stress. Is that also true of the Hilton floor? Or might it just be the result of the basketball floor essentially being a set of interlocking puzzle pieces laid on a concrete slab that might reverberate?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I think about the Cyclone Alley flop every time I see Marcus Smart playing for the Celtics. That event was organized by our own Cynado if I recall correctly. And against the wishes of the Cyclone Alley Central Committee. It was indeed majestic!

Do you have video of the flop (Cyclone Alley of course, EVERYONE has already seen a Smart flop!)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron