What I know about the McNeil situation: part 2

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I think it's weird that there hasn't been an explanation.

i'm a psychic.

"Darius spoke with his family and together they decided requesting a release was in his best interest. While we are disappointed in this late decision, our role is not only a coach on the court but a mentor in life. We have decided to grant Darius a full release as we need to ensure we are representing his interests as a future student-athlete, regardless of institution. This decision is final. Go Cyclones".

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but how is the whole "hiring of AAU" coach a legal practice? Not "justice system" legal so much as NCAA legal?

Apr 19, 2006
The reasons Fred left for the Bulls:

1. 5 million per year
2. Top 5 NBA job
3. No more recruiting
4. 5 million per year
5. 5 million per year

He had to know this situation was coming and so he had to go out on a high note. I don't blame him for it, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know we were top heavy. So we would have to have a rebuilding year or two to get things squared away.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Actually, I think there are three options:

1. Unlimited release.
2. Restriction to Big 12 and teams on the schedule for next year.
3. Targeted restriction, particularly if funny business is suspected.

#2 should be the minimum. And likely #3 if the conditions call for it. We need our recruits to know that we are serious about building a program with top recruits.
From what I can gather (in 10 minutes of internet "research"), there is only a full release or no release. There is no formal ability to restrict where the recruit goes after being released. However, the NLI includes a recruiting ban that all other schools honor (in theory). The recruiting ban in particular can be lifted without releasing the NLI. At that point, the school can wait and see how the recruiting develops before deciding on whether or not to release the NLI.

In practice, it seems a school will simply make it known to the recruit and other schools that they are willing to release the recruit from the NLI provided the new school isn't fill in the blanks . They don't actually release them until the dust settles. And in theory, I believe the recruit could lie (or change their mind a second time), get released from the NLI, and then go to a "restricted" school. The catch is that a "restricted" school is very likely to honor the non-binding restriction made by the original school and not offer a scholarship to the recruit.

Note that conferences can have their own rules above the NCAA rules (e.g. as a member of this conference you agree that you will not give a scholarship to a recruit that had a valid NLI signed with another member of this conference within 2 years of said NLI). Breaking those rules would not be an NCAA violation, but a conference violation subject to conference penalties.

I think.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
From the way he makes it sound ( go look at the 247 thread) he was kind of forced into the situation. He says you don't know what went down and why this is happening and that he was all in for ISU. Could be a parent/family pressure thing which could explain why the mom was contacting Prohm.

"Kind of forced into it"...? What the heck is that implying? If something "went down" with us, isn't he going to save face and leak that reason out to somebody? Arent several posters indicating that he's implying it was our actions that caused him not to be "all in for ISU"? Why can't one of the parties just say 'what' the real reason is? Then we release him and move on.

SprintCyclone75

Jan 30, 2017
This is big time college athletics, if there was tampering then I wouldn't release him. If it's just cold feet/changed mind then sell the **** out of ISU and if he doesn't turn around grant the release and make sure it doesn't happen again

• Agree

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
"Kind of forced into it"...? What the heck is that implying? If something "went down" with us, isn't he going to save face and leak that reason out to somebody? Arent several posters indicating that he's implying it was our actions that caused him not to be "all in for ISU"? Why can't one of the parties just say 'what' the real reason is? Then we release him and move on.
The only reason he wants out is that Chris Walker was hired at Cal last month after previously working for UA (who sponsored McNeill's AAU program).

• Agree

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The only reason he wants out is that Chris Walker was hired at Cal last month after previously working for UA (who sponsored McNeill's AAU program).
And Walker is a Houston guy and has a ton of connections there. Might even know his family.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Call me a vindictive ahole but I see who cal is recruiting in the future and make a couple calls if he ends up going there
500full-the-untouchables-screenshot.jpg

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
He probably spoke to the McNeill family before officially being hired by Cal last month. Any charges of tampering aren't going to stick or be proved.
Then waited a full month to ask for a release? The NCAA might not consider to be tampering, but ISU can call it whatever they want. Even if he wasn't on staff yet, that doesn't make it any less shady. It just wouldn't be punishable by the NCAA.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron