Here's what I know about McNeil

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Is no news good news at this point? Good news in the sense that Prohm has him at the very least rethinking the situation?

Since Darius has made it public already that he wants a release, I was expecting that it would be granted the next day or two. The fact that there's been no official word, makes me think there's still a slight chance he stays. If his mind was completely made about leaving, even after conversing with Prohm, it would have been done by now.

I assume we'd try to first rerecruit him and then work through any details of the release. Plus, it's just been the weekend.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Did you miss the news last week that Kasongo was tossed out?

Kasongo, Carter, Ernst, Cooke.... all kids that have been forced out by Prohm.

Tossed out? Not quite.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yea thats totally untrue..Do you know how many kids CMC has tapped on the shoulder and said "hey lets find another place for U"? Probably 1/3 of the roster. Sometimes players realize wtih the coach that in order to play any minutes that another place might be better..Happens at nearly every single program. Prohm gave Carter a lifeline to another P5 school and gave him 2 years to develop and he didnt. ONe could say Kasongo the same. Ernst i think we just don't know the full story there. Cooke..well Cooke himself said he wanted to be at a place where he could play pg..he just isnt a big 12 pg.

Do you think Campbell is just playing favorites and telling guys to leave the program? Or is he letting them know that he sees that they are not committed to the process? I've talked to a few former players who feel like they got pushed out, but I think they just didn't want to work as hard or in the style that Campbell wanted.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So for the people that say, the University needs to release him regardless of the situation. I have one question, why does the athlete always get what he wants? I don't care about his age, he needs to realize that you can't just do as you please. This is a pretty crappy move to do this late in the year and he needs to understand that this really affects the state of this team.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
What did Donovan Jackson do that was similar to this? I must have missed that part of his recruitment.

I don't think he ever actually asked out, but he was thinking about it based upon a couple news articles.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
What did Donovan Jackson do that was similar to this? I must have missed that part of his recruitment.
I don't think he ever asked for a release, but he wanted to reevaluate his decision last May. He came on his official visit, talked with the coaches and players, and obviously decided to stick with Iowa St.

Fwiw, when I posted that, I thought there was still a chance McNeill could still stick with Iowa St. Doesn't look like that's the case anymore.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't think he ever actually asked out, but he was thinking about it based upon a couple news articles.

Thanks. I thought people were claiming that he pulled a McNeill with some other school. I remember him saying that he was doubting whether he really wanted to come to ISU. However, it doesn't seem like he had another opportunity that was drawing him away. So, his situation had some similarities, but also significant differences.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
So for the people that say, the University needs to release him regardless of the situation. I have one question, why does the athlete always get what he wants? I don't care about his age, he needs to realize that you can't just do as you please. This is a pretty crappy move to do this late in the year and he needs to understand that this really affects the state of this team.

The athlete does not, most definitely, always get what they want. This is a ******, uncommon thing to have happen. Release him and move on. No sense in punishing a kid to set a "precedent". This isn't going to become common at ISU because we let him go.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

You release him, not because you are giving him what he wants, but because you are doing what is best for your program. He isn't going to play here, thats pretty much a given at this point. Why take the bad publicity and give other coaches ammunition for going at your program with other recruits? Sure you can block him from other programs, but at the end of the day who comes out looking better? I guarantee you it will be the 17 or 18 year old kid who is going to be able to play the victim very well and not the 40-50 something year old decision makers of the university forcing this kid to "not be able to live out his dream."

This could have been pulled off 10-15 years ago with no issues but with social media now it is impossible for the university to come off looking good.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It does kind of suck because he seems like a kid that ISU pursued hard before others did and now somebody can swoop in late.

This is why you don't release him. You can't just set the precedent that you can nab our guys in May and have them ready to go in the summer. You also don't give recruits the idea they can hold their place here and then just leave if they want.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You release him, not because you are giving him what he wants, but because you are doing what is best for your program. He isn't going to play here, thats pretty much a given at this point. Why take the bad publicity and give other coaches ammunition for going at your program with other recruits? Sure you can block him from other programs, but at the end of the day who comes out looking better? I guarantee you it will be the 17 or 18 year old kid who is going to be able to play the victim very well and not the 40-50 something year old decision makers of the university forcing this kid to "not be able to live out his dream."

This could have been pulled off 10-15 years ago with no issues but with social media now it is impossible for the university to come off looking good.

This whole bad publicity thing is such ******** and so easily reasoned against. "Look at ISU, if you decide you don't want to go there in May, they won't release you" would be such a bad recruiting pitch because, first of all, a kid likely isn't thinking about committing and then taking a better option if possible. If they are, it's better to know that in the fall anyway so you get McKinley Wright or someone else who wanted to come here in the fold.

The other thing is these things hang around for about a week. It isn't like we pushed him out. ISU can't be the bad guy here. Maybe in March, but not now.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

I don't think anyone would use it against us in recruiting, much less successfully.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
This is why you don't release him. You can't just set the precedent that you can nab our guys in May and have them ready to go in the summer. You also don't give recruits the idea they can hold their place here and then just leave if they want.
Iowa St would have to eat the scholarship. Are you ok with that? What if a nice mid year is available, and Iowa St can't offer him a scholarship because McNeill's is being burned.

And there just isn't much precedence for this situation. I know it was mentioned Devonte Grahm was not released from his LOI from App St, but I don't know if a major program has ever done it.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
Iowa St would have to eat the scholarship. Are you ok with that? What if a nice mid year is available, and Iowa St can't offer him a scholarship because McNeill's is being burned.

And there just isn't much precedence for this situation. I know it was mentioned Devonte Grahm was not released from his LOI from App St, but I don't know if a major program has ever done it.

Well, we still have one more scholly. Eat McNeill's, save the last one for late summer or mid-year.

isu83

May 5, 2010
I'm sure the staff and university knows how best to handle this situation. At first glance I'd release him. But so many on here make very compelling arguments for not letting out of his commitment. There are so many ways to handle things in this day and age. I wouldn't wish what prohm has on his plate on anyone. I also feel that Prohm has done an excellant job in replacing Fred. This speaks nothing about him or his staff in anyway, manner, or form. This is hopefully a once in a lifetime situation.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

The athlete always gets what he wants?

Don't forget Prohm is making $2mil. Pollard makes $400k plus. Let's relax on letting a HS kid out of his LOI. Let him go. We have enough guys to play the next couple of years.