What I know about the McNeil situation: part 2

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
Paging Jakolby Long... This is only potentially concerning regarding future recruiting efforts, not on-the-floor performance next season. I'll see you out, Darius.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
It is difficult to have any confidence in Robinson's recruiting ability. He's been on an ISU bench for 5+ years, and who has he secured? Chris Colvin?
What irritates me is that is the mentality that a chosen 8 (6 guards) play every game regardless of deficiencies, fouls, matchups, player development, or fatigue. The other players sit out all season. When a forward goes out, he is replaced by a guard - doesn't matter that we are terrible at rebounding or defending the paint. It is no wonder Ernst, Carter, and Kasongo have left - they are guaranteed no playing time in a guard oriented system. We had 3 outstanding guards last year that made that system functional. Now, we are left with very few bits and pieces.
Jackson will have to play 40 minutes a game.

Apr 19, 2006
Turning over nine scholarships in one off-season is too much for anybody.

Prohm might have to rebuild this the old-fashion way after last year and this off-season.

Assuming he can. The next year or two might be on the rougher side.

But, hey, football is on the upswing! :D

This is another reason I think Hoiberg left for the bulls. He knew this year was coming with the scholarships being so lopsided. Just a tough situation for any coach.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I understand what you mean here but personally this recruiting staff has been a disappointment. And I saw that feeling very confident that Wiggington (obviously), Lewis, and Lard will be an awesome core for us in the years to come.

I get it; we don't play dirty, we won't play dirty, yada yada yada. But at some point we gotta pay to get some coaches on the staff that aren't going to lose the vast majority of these types of weird shady battles. You just NEVER hear of Iowa State doing well in these types of situations. It feels so easy to poach our recruits or convince them not to sign with us.
Are you suggesting they start paying players to come here, or hire family members and AAU coches?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
All those spots to fill and two HS kids and two plan C's as grad transfers.

Oh and the I'm doing what's best for my family thing is BS. He's just doing what is best for his old AAU coach thinking he can be a day 1 starter. I definitely think you don't release him and you make him transfer and sit out a year. You can't let kids do that 3 weeks before they are supposed to be here.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Did something actually go wrong between him and the staff or is he just trying to put the blame on ISU so he has a "reason" for going elsewhere?

This question is exactly why I posted that I'd hope we at least would get the honest truth why. Obviously we won't. You say he replied that our staff knows why, something about then "things hit the fan". Someone else posted that nothing changed on ISU's end. It may not be a right, but it's human nature to want some explanation. Otherwise things like "did we ask him to redshirt', 'did we promise him a bigger role earlier to get his recruitment', 'did someone tamper', among other speculations out there to try and make sense of this at such a late time. I bet a vast majority are going to say it was because of our pursuit of Elijah Brown or other grad transfers on the perimeter, so he felt recruited over. Others will just say move on.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Only thing that really makes sense to me is that he felt we were trying to (or are trying to) recruit over him at his position. Maybe was informed of the mystery recruit? At this point, I'm hoping that is the case so that we have a good replacement plan.

That would be my best guess as well. I would assume he knew he had a bit of a log-jam in front of him as it is, and may have caught wind of us going after another guard. Who knows...

Stanz just did a piece on this guy-- did he get any sense he was disgruntled? I haven't been on the board this weekend and I imagine this has been addressed, but I haven't seen anything on it.

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006
The net effect of this is really just to push long term stability down the road. McNeill was probably not going to be the difference maker next year, and the following year we'll have Shayok joining the mix, so I don't think we're set up in a scenario of having one terrible season just because we lost one good recruit. This just makes getting 3-4 quality high schoolers in the 2018 class that much more important. We need to get out of this cycle of relying on grad transfers to fill critical positions, and we won't be able to do that until we can fill up the pipeline more with longer term guys.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
All those spots to fill and two HS kids and two plan C's as grad transfers.

Oh and the I'm doing what's best for my family thing is BS. He's just doing what is best for his old AAU coach thinking he can be a day 1 starter. I definitely think you don't release him and you make him transfer and sit out a year. You can't let kids do that 3 weeks before they are supposed to be here.

I'm typically pretty against transfer restrictions, but this situation is an entirely ***** one. The kid was supposed to be here in 3 weeks. We've recruited with this kid's commitment in mind for the last, what 6 months? He signs an LOI, and there is no apparent change of position from the school regarding his commitment. He really left our staff in a lurch here.

If he wants to follow his AAU coach, great. But I'd restrict the **** out of him going there this year.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
What was the situation with Diallo's AAU buddy? IIRC it was a similar thing where we hired a former coach and we couldn't sign him for a couple of years. So we were out of his recruitment unless he reclassified.

Am I completely off base or does anyone else remember the specifics?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Did I ever mention on this board that Darius used to DM me after all his games basically begging me to tweet his stats so he could retweet them? Well because of that I thought he owed me some answers lol.

Me: "Darius, are you going to explain why you aren't coming to Iowa State anymore?"

Darius: "No need to. They know why !!!!"

Me: "Well what happened? I thought you were excited about coming to Ames?"

Darius: "I was until things hit the fan!!! I'm doing what's best for me and my family now."

My guess? Seeing that we whiffed on a few transfers, maybe the staff asked McNeil to redshirt? Would have been good to help class balance and allow him to put on some weight. Just a guess based on nothing concrete really, just spitballing here.
I'm not exactly sure what his replies mean. Unless he has some sort of blood feud with Hans Brase or Jeff Bevery, GTO's theory does make some sense.

I guess the other explanation could be that he saw ISU recruiting all these transfer guards and felt that this would mean ISU didn't think he was ready to play very much right away and this was a sign of disrespect to him. (Sorry about the run on sentence).

Realistically, looking at ISU's guard situation, he would be probably be the 4th, 5th or 6th guard (depending upon how they use Lewis and how good Long is). It sounds like he may actually start at Cal and there are more opportunities to participate in protests.

Being an optimist, I'll take this as a sign that Long looks pretty good to the coaching staff.

Reactions: GTO

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
What was the situation with Diallo's AAU buddy? IIRC it was a similar thing where we hired a former coach and we couldn't sign him for a couple of years. So we were out of his recruitment unless he reclassified.

Am I completely off base or does anyone else remember the specifics?

Yakwe

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman