Here's what I know about McNeil

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
That's different because his father was going there, like McDermott and Creighton. In this case, if he were to go to Cal it would be because his AAU coach tampered.

And to the people saying he shouldn't be blocked anywhere, he's just a teenager that changed his mind, etc. then I assume you think there's no point in a NLI? Whats the point of even signing that dotted line if you can change your mind the summer before you report to school with no consequences?

Now that you put it that way.... Is there a reason or even an advantage to have a signed NLI then? I mean if anyone blocks, all the gurus just splatter them negatively all over the place. And we know recruiting doesn't stop. So what's the point in having NLI's signed in the first place? Frustrating.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Are you implying Long is overhyped? Not trying to attack you, just curious if that's what you meant. If it was, I think it's too early to tell. He was dealing with an injury last year and was behind a bunch of really good guards last year.

Uh....it wasn't me who posted about the overhype. It was me replying in questioning why Gunnerclone felt that way.

• Optimistic
Reactions: dukeebear

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I feel like people felt differently when I said it was fair for Mount St. Mary's to restrict us from Elijah Long.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I feel like people felt differently when I said it was fair for Mount St. Mary's to restrict us from Elijah Long.

I didn't follow that but yes I think it's totally fair.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I assume most of you that are saying we shouldn't block any schools are also thinking it is unfair for Illinois State to block McIntosh for us, right? Or are you looking at grad transfers differently than incoming freshmen? Just curious.

I agree that while others do it, it probably isn't good publicity to block kids. But I sure as heck hope we get to find out the REAL reason for his decommiting and not just the generic 'an 18 year old changing his mind'. Can't believe how this happened immediately after the feature articles were written about him and how excited many were to see him. (Someone even claimed he'd start). Many of you are so good about saying "on to the next". Where I think its more of that 'nut cup' time than it was losing Juiston.

Blocking a grad transfer anywhere is ridiculous. Kid graduates, they should be able to go wherever they want.

I generally agree that players should be as free as coaches, but this is really late in the game for that to be acceptable. If it's an old AAU coach dragging him to a new job, essentially as a condition of his own employment, that's just wrongly taking advantage of the kid anyway.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
So what exactly is the point of the LOI anyway if players can just ask out and schools all but have to let them?

Maybe a signed LOI should be like transferring where its not up to the school; anyone can opt out but has to use a redshirt unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Now that you put it that way.... Is there a reason or even an advantage to have a signed NLI then? I mean if anyone blocks, all the gurus just splatter them negatively all over the place. And we know recruiting doesn't stop. So what's the point in having NLI's signed in the first place? Frustrating.
I think the only way to really prevent kids from getting out of their NLI's is to make a universal rule that once you sign that line you are basically "enrolled" and if you want to get out of your NLI then you are required to sit out 1 year. (like transferring)

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Here's the assistant who I'm almost sure CW is referencing... Chris Walker

http://www.scout.com/college/california/story/1769827-cal-reportedly-hires-chris-walker

"Early in his career, Walker directed the T-Mac All-Star AAU program, and has deep recruiting ties in Texas. Currently an on-air analyst for CBS, Walker also has a radio program in Houston."
Walker's last gig was working for UA before being hired by Cal last month. McNeill's AAU program was UA sponsored. Cal recently flipped from Nike to UA for their apparel deal.

Will be interesting to see if ISU blocks Cal in addition to all B12 schools.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Just playing devils advocate, what about a situation where a kid wants to play for a relative like McDermott. Would you block a kid from playing for his father?
Is Chris walker Darius father?
Cross that hypothetical when it happens.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I think the only way to really prevent kids from getting out of their NLI's is to make a universal rule that once you sign that line you are basically "enrolled" and if you want to get out of your NLI then you are required to sit out 1 year. (like transferring)
I don't mind that rule, but then you may have recruits just not signing a nli. Which is fine, except that would really drag out the recruiting process.