Want to have dinner with Brands?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That was a pretty quick way for them to raise some money for their wrestling club.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
  • Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: HGoat and NWICY

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Yes. As well, they raised over 100k for the HWC since Dresser got Zadick, Metcalf, and St. John.

Started April 1st.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/hwc-102-115-raised-goal-100k.186609/

Say what you will, but they feel a bit threatened.

They no doubt do!

My bro is plugged into these things and he says their poorly run and funded wrestling club is no longer a dirty little secret. It is now front and center as a problem. Sounds like they have gotten things moving in the right direction in a hurry.

Thank goodness for the Coach Dresser so we will not fall further behind--just the opposite!!!

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Dinner with Brands?
I don't think he uses utensils...'ll pass.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
They no doubt do!

My bro is plugged into these things and he says their poorly run and funded wrestling club is no longer a dirty little secret. It is now front and center as a problem. Sounds like they have gotten things moving in the right direction in a hurry.

Thank goodness for the Coach Dresser so we will not fall further behind--just the opposite!!!

Jeez, I guess he was right. Iowa lured Mark Perry away from the #1 assistant job at Illinois to coach the Hawkeye Wrestling Club. Fun times are ahead in college wrestling.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Jeez, I guess he was right. Iowa lured Mark Perry away from the #1 assistant job at Illinois to coach the Hawkeye Wrestling Club. Fun times are ahead in college wrestling.

I think they were feeling the heat a little bit after PSU's dominance at NCAAs again this year, tOSU's coming facility upgrades,plus our coaching changes and recommitment to wrestling. We've started a bit of an arms race.

I've always liked Mark Perry, and having him around their program will be beneficial no doubt. I do think it is a little weird he is the HWC head coach, as he didn't wrestle freestyle at all post-college, although he was very good when he did wrestle freestyle in HS and College.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I think they were feeling the heat a little bit after PSU's dominance at NCAAs again this year, tOSU's coming facility upgrades,plus our coaching changes and recommitment to wrestling. We've started a bit of an arms race.

I've always liked Mark Perry, and having him around their program will be beneficial no doubt. I do think it is a little weird he is the HWC head coach, as he didn't wrestle freestyle at all post-college, although he was very good when he did wrestle freestyle in HS and College.
I thought the same thing about Perry and coaching FRECO. I wouldn't think he is the best option for coaching the club. I'm sure they are thinking the benefits for Hawkeye wrestling will far outweigh any shortcomings in coaching FRECO.

Reactions: HGoat

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

He may not have wrestled it much himself (post grad) but he's been coaching freestyle for nearly 10 years with success. It isn't any more weird than hiring a guy who's never coached before and paying him big money to run our club program. And that's not a knock on Metcalf--I'm very, very pleased with that decision and hire.

I think the Dresser hire and rise in financial commitment at ISU was as big of a catalyst to the changes in Iowa City than any other factor.