WBB Recruiting

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
With Billy recruiting the model seems to be "upgrade." Madison Baier and Sofija's may be rarer in the future going by a quote from this article: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...all-making-massive-recruiting-gains/94286314/

“They’ve (Texas kids) got to get past a lot of Big 12 schools for us, and we’re not trying to take that second- or third-tier kid and just get by,”

Wise watched videos of Hilton Coliseum, spoke to players about the gameday atmosphere and even scanned Iowa State message boards.

“I read a few comments — that was pretty cool,” Wise said. “That’s another thing that made me realize, 'Holy cow, they really care in Iowa.'”

Moore said the strong potential of the 2017 and 2018 classes, combined with Carleton’s experience, could make for a lethal future combination. The scenario reminds him of the 1998-99 Iowa State squad that went to the Elite Eight.

Just need a Welle type post and we are set. :)

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Bride is not a lefty is she?
By God she is both! Bride shoots with either hand!

She's the No. 1-ranked junior college player in the nation by All-Star Girls Report.

"There's not much she can't do," said Bret McCormick, scouting director for All-Star Girls Report. "She's a great passer; she can rebound — she'll rebound out of her area; she shoots it well; she can score with either hand inside. She has a lot of tools."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...asketball-player-chooses-iowa-state/95849846/

Reactions: Buster28

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
There is more AAU action in Ames this weekend. This is a NCAA live period tournament so figure lots of coaches will be there tomorrow.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Today at the AAU tourney The Iowa Nike Attack team took on the Nike North Tartan team out of Minnesota (2 of just 32 Nike teams in the country).

North Tartan team features Zoe Young of DM Valley who according to the first article below from a few years back she had offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan State and Louisville before she even played a high school varsity game.

The second article says that she probably has offers from 30 schools.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/12/04/basketball/76779910/

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...girls-basketball-national-spotlight/98332198/

Iowa Nike team won the championship 71-58 and Joens had a monster game probably scored at lest 20 points.

I saw representatives from the following schools: Bill and Billy were there as well as Creighton, Drake (HC), Omaha, Nebraska, Missouri, Oklahoma, Iowa, Milwaukee, Gonzaga, South Dakota State.

A player from the Iowa Nike team to keep an eye on is Caitlin Clark, a West Des Moines Dowling Catholic freshman. She has good size for a PG, great ball handling skills and can shoot from way downtown.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
T
A player from the Iowa Nike team to keep an eye on is Caitlin Clark, a West Des Moines Dowling Catholic freshman. She has good size for a PG, great ball handling skills and can shoot from way downtown.

One college coach said that Clark has a chance to be a top 5-10 recruit nationally by the time all is said and done.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My co-worker's 8th grade niece (Sophia Capes) talked with by a Kstate coach last weekend. It's crazy how early this starts anymore.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
It starts especially early for girls/women. Not so much with the guys.

we hear a lot about "relationships" "first offer" etc. referenced with WBB recruits. Staff put so much time into it. I know BF has said he has changed his strategy to not focus too much on one or two players as he did in the past after losing out on Taylor Greenfield, but is more balanced. I seem to recall that he said that staff attended over 100 of Kiah Stokes bball and vball games....that is a LOT of time if you figure they are doing it for probably 5 -10 players at a time.

Makes it so frustrating when other can just swoop in and snap up a recruit who blows up to elite level.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
It would have to be frustrating to spend immense amounts of time on a Stokes or a Greenfield and then lose them in the end to the glamour of UConn or Stanford.

I can't comment on BF and staff's recruiting strategies because I simply do not know how they do it or what their focus is. I do know they put out offers to girls as early as 8th or 9th grade based on what they see at Cyclone camps, AAU tournaments, referrals, etc. Certainly, at this stage its all based upon the potential they see in a player and not what the player has actually accomplished.

Based on my years of watching girls basketball, both high school and college, some kids are as good as seniors as they were as freshman...at both levels. They have to be "coached up", certainly. But, perhaps more importantly, the player has to be entirely committed to getting better and better each and every day. The learning, the conditioning and the skills improvement should never stop IF they truly want to excel. Basketball players are made in the off-season. The ones who get better and better from one year to the next are the ones who have put in the time and the hard hard work in the off-season. Finding the individual who is willing to put in the work, every day, is perhaps the greatest challenge for this staff or any coaching staff, for that matter.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
It would have to be frustrating to spend immense amounts of time on a Stokes or a Greenfield and then lose them in the end to the glamour of UConn or Stanford.

I can't comment on BF and staff's recruiting strategies because I simply do not know how they do it or what their focus is. I do know they put out offers to girls as early as 8th or 9th grade based on what they see at Cyclone camps, AAU tournaments, referrals, etc. Certainly, at this stage its all based upon the potential they see in a player and not what the player has actually accomplished.

Based on my years of watching girls basketball, both high school and college, some kids are as good as seniors as they were as freshman...at both levels. They have to be "coached up", certainly. But, perhaps more importantly, the player has to be entirely committed to getting better and better each and every day. The learning, the conditioning and the skills improvement should never stop IF they truly want to excel. Basketball players are made in the off-season. The ones who get better and better from one year to the next are the ones who have put in the time and the hard hard work in the off-season. Finding the individual who is willing to put in the work, every day, is perhaps the greatest challenge for this staff or any coaching staff, for that matter.

Kids at 14/15 may have different life goals at 17/18. Many who love it while they are young, lose interest as they get older, don't adapt to D1, and only do it to get a scholarship. The Bridgets of the world are rare. Just look at ALL the time and financial investment into development Jadda and her family put in, and see her walk away.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
USA TODAY announced their American Family Insurance ALL-USA Minnesota Girls Basketball Teams. Players were selected based on their athletic achievements from the 2016-17 season. Madison Wise and Rae Johnson made their respective state teams. Some of these sponsored awards are sorta comercial BS but these two are pretty much on any of the two states all-star lists regardless of who is making/selecting the list.

Madison:
http://usatodayhss.com/?p=101190450

Rae
http://usatodayhss.com/2017/2016-17-all-usa-minnesota-girls-basketball-team

Only freshman on the Minnesota list, Paige Bueckers, supposedly has had an ISU offer since last year when she was in 8th grade.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Kids at 14/15 may have different life goals at 17/18. Many who love it while they are young, lose interest as they get older, don't adapt to D1, and only do it to get a scholarship. The Bridgets of the world are rare. Just look at ALL the time and financial investment into development Jadda and her family put in, and see her walk away.
Regarding your initial point, Jadda was also our hardest worker off the court, regarding conditioning and being "serious" about college basketball. She lead others, those not so "serious," by example. That's what makes her loss all the more significant.

• Agree
Reactions: gizzsdad and C.John

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Regarding your initial point, Jadda was also our hardest worker off the court, regarding conditioning and being "serious" about college basketball. She lead others, those not so "serious," by example. That's what makes her loss all the more significant.

I think you would have to be on the coaching staff to know if that was the case (I am not and do not know). I think it is unfair to the others to assume that anyone works harder than the rest. My GUESS is that Bridget puts in as much time as anyone as she has VERY high aspirations for her basketball future.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I think you would have to be on the coaching staff to know if that was the case (I am not and do not know). I think it is unfair to the others to assume that anyone works harder than the rest. My GUESS is that Bridget puts in as much time as anyone as she has VERY high aspirations for her basketball future.
Yes, this is what coaches have told me. It's not a guess.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
View some films of Smith: and http://www.hudl.com/profile/6737090/brittney-smith

The likelihood of a top Orlando player coming to Ames? If you read her bio it is hard not to see Smith at a blue blood program, but who knows. So far UCONN has not come calling (since they have the #1 recruit in 2018 already and more).

I wouldn't jump to "blueblood recruit" since I don't think anyone has her on any national recruiting ranking lists. Even Florida lists of players have her as unranked even in that state. Not saying she might not be good but certainly hasn't caught on. Late bloomer maybe.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

To be fair Jadda put in her 4 yrs. Yes she had a yr of eligibility left, but she put in the time and effort and fought through injuries. Personally I was disappointed to see her go as I'm sure the staff was but I harbor no ill feelings about her leaving.