Shows you are supposed to like - but don't.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I may have had more cases of trying a recommended series and liking it, compared to negative reaction to suggestions.

Off the top of my head:

* "Seinfeld" came highly recommended by a friend. It soon became my favorite show for the rest of the '90s (and in syndication). (As others have state, I understand "Seinfeld" does not have universal appeal. It's like realizing some people can't stand The Beatles).
* More a case of seeing critical acclaim, but not exploring a series until several years later: "Arrested Development." I started watching reruns and I got immersed.
* "Frasier" was recommended by same person who suggested Seinfeld. I found it worthy viewing, never truly became a fanatic, but I did follow it with some regularity for several seasons.
* Several years ago, a younger co-worker raved about "Modern Family," and since I had come to trust her taste in matters of TV & music, eventually I checked into it. Each time I've watched "MF," I got some good laughs, but I've probably seen only about 5 episodes. That's more a matter of my viewing habits than my opinion about it.

Edit: Misspelled Frasier the first time around.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Quite a few comments about "Big Bang Theory." I've had recommendations for that one (probably people sensing my level of geekism). I find some of the personal interactions among characters amusing, sometimes relatable, but the comedy doesn't resonate with me as a whole.

---> It's possible I just described 25 other sitcoms I found comically pleasurable through the years, but didn't command my interest.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The first show that came to mind for me was Breaking Bad. I watched the first whole season on Netflix and part of the second. Then just quit. I wanted to like it. But mostly, I found the whole I have cancer thing depressing. The tension never really pulled me in and I got bored with it.

Second is Modern Family. I just don't find any of the characters likeable. Or funny. The wife watches it while I look at the internet on my phone.

Third is BBT. We DVR it and I'll watch, but it's good for maybe a laugh an episode. Sheldon is just way over the top but at least the blonde is good to look at.

I will say that I love Always Sunny. Yeah, the characters are over the top, but it's not really the kind of comedy that tries to be realistic. I think that it is funny in a kind of "dirty Seinfeld" kind of way.

I do agree with another poster that this season of Archer has been very disappointing.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
The first show that came to mind for me was Breaking Bad. I watched the first whole season on Netflix and part of the second. Then just quit. I wanted to like it. But mostly, I found the whole I have cancer thing depressing. The tension never really pulled me in and I got bored with it.

Second is Modern Family. I just don't find any of the characters likeable. Or funny. The wife watches it while I look at the internet on my phone.

Third is BBT. We DVR it and I'll watch, but it's good for maybe a laugh an episode. Sheldon is just way over the top but at least the blonde is good to look at.

I will say that I love Always Sunny. Yeah, the characters are over the top, but it's not really the kind of comedy that tries to be realistic. I think that it is funny in a kind of "dirty Seinfeld" kind of way.

I do agree with another poster that this season of Archer has been very disappointing.

Disagree on quite a bit, but like to see your reasons. Respect. I tend to be someone that likes the HBO, AMC, Netflix etc. types of shows and hates most things on network TV. But Modern Family just gets me. I share a lot of traits with Phil. BBT, more meh on that, but we still watch it and get the occasional laugh. It's gotten pretty stale.

I was also the type of person that never thought Breaking Bad would be something I'd like. A show about crime, gangs, and meth? That's as far away from anything I've ever liked watching before. A friend convinced me to watch the first 2-3 episodes, then I ended up binge-watching most of the first two seasons over a long weekend. Couldn't believe that I could possibly like it. Now I'd put it in my top 4-5 favorite shows ever. I've been told that it moves slowly, but I guess I never really experienced that. Just got my dad into it - same thing, he'd been putting off watching it for years. Now he's texting me (not something we do often) because he just has to talk to someone about the last episode he watched.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Better Call Saul.... Wife and I watched the first episode and were left underwhelmed. But since it came so highly recommended, we invested another chunk of time to watch the 2nd episode. After the first 5 minutes of the second episode, we turned towards each other and said at the same time "I'm done with this show".

What shows have been recommended to you, and you put in a good faith effort to "get it" but just didn't?

99.9% of the shows Netflix recommends or suggests with their crappy algorithms. I always have to spend 15 minutes looking for something to watch, using part of my short 1 to 2 hour evenings when nothing interesting is on broadcast.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Love Seinfeld. I could see how someone young would not understand it with all the technology and so on. It's like me trying to like the Bob Newhart show that my parents loved. I just did not think it was that funny. Different times. I can still watch Seinfeld whenever it's on TV.

Shows I can't watch

Big Bang Theory
Most sports talk shows like Stephen A Smtih, Colin Coward or anyone else on it with a "Strong Opinion". Most of the opinions Colin Coward states are so dumb you know he is saying it just for a commercial sound bite.

The Bachelor
Any Housewife of whatever state
Any Kardashian show.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Anything with a laugh track. Can't freaking stand it, who are you to tell me what is funny? So, That 70's show is definitely out. I don't even like most late night talk shows, except Conan. Samantha Bee is terrible.

Also, I don't understand the love for the walking dead. Watched a few seasons of it and didnt change my mind.

Loved BB and like Saul. Mr Robot was dope. GoT, meh. South Park is about the only animation I will watch. Though, I have never really given Archer a fair chance.

Side note: currently watching The Leftovers on HBOnow and I'm really enjoying it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Definitely The Office. I watched through 4 seasons until I realized I was only watching it because everyone else told me how good it was. I won't lie, I liked seasons 2 and 3, but I couldn't take any more of Steve Carell's character.

After a while it was just the same stuff. Like yeah, we get it, he's really dumb.

I think the first 4 seasons of the Office were really funny.

After that, it just became unending "awkward" humor, which I can only take so much of, and the Jim/Pam thing started to wear on me. I recently started watching the first four episodes again, and I realized I don't like a single character in that show, even though I still find the early episodes funny.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonenation5

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think the first 4 seasons of the Office were really funny.

After that, it just became unending "awkward" humor, which I can only take so much of, and the Jim/Pam thing started to wear on me. I recently started watching the first four episodes again, and I realized I don't like a single character in that show, even though I still find the early episodes funny.
For me seasons 2 through when Michael left were the best. The first one people were still trying to figure out their characters, Michael in particular was totally different in season 1.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd put the Walking Dead and Mad Men as mine.

I've enjoyed both shows when I've watched them, but the Walking Dead has absolutely no end in sight, and in my opinion, dramatic shows need to have a somewhat finished story when they start. Mad Men is just too much a period piece for me to really get into religiously, although maybe I'll finish it up eventually. The fact that it's ended makes this more likely than me getting back into Walking Dead.

Timeline was also my ultimate beef with HIMYM. I had a less of an issue with the ending and more of an issue with the show getting drug out over 9 increasingly ludicrous seasons. If that show had been 5-6 seasons, it would have been pretty good.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
For me seasons 2 through when Michael left were the best. The first one people were still trying to figure out their characters, Michael in particular was totally different in season 1.

He becomes more sympathetic after Season 1, I'd say. He's just a complete clueless jerk off in Season 1, but that's where some of the best moments come from for me.

The Diversity Day episode where he's just an unhinged racist piece of crap is comedy gold. Same with the Basketball episode and his inability to shoulder any responsibility and behave in an objective, equitable manner.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Just from the first page:

Better Call Saul

Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad

giphy.gif

Better Call Saul
Breaking Bad was good, but not elite IMO.

tenor.gif

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I could barely get through a This is Us commercial without leaving the room. ****, I'd rather watch another 80s teen girl coming of age movie.
This is Us - my wife has been watching it lately and I happened to catch one episode with her. Some couple had triplets and one died at birth. They cried a lot, and I wished I was that dead trilpet about 20 minutes in. DO NOT WATCH, even to see how bad it can get. You've been warned.

On my personal list - BBT is no.1, Friends, every crime, law or medical drama ever. Duck Dynasty and the endless list of scripted "reality" shows that spawned from it.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'm very easy on shows and movies. I like to be entertained. This is Us is very good I think. I'm a 47 year old male that watched the first episode thinking it wouldn't be something I wouldn't like, kind of like Parenthood. But I was hooked right off the bat and believe that it's extremely well written and acted. Again though, I am an easy critic, life's too short.

• Friendly
Reactions: tzjung

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
First that come to mind are Game of Thrones, The Office, and Southpark. Probably should like all three but don't.

Game of Thrones: can't do torture, so that's out
Office: really don't like awkward comedy
Southpark: I just think it's really dumb and not that funny