Just laugh it off guys

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonefan710

Oct 19, 2012
I'm right there with you, I generally cheer for other Big 12 teams in the tourney but I just cant morally do it for West Virginia anymore. I hope they get bounced by Winthrop as a 14 seed.

Agreed. WVU is the only big 12 team I don't cheer for in the dance.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
  • Informative
Reactions: kentkel

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm still blown away by the call that resulted in Prohm getting T'd up.

We were trying to remember if that was his first at ISU?

Yeah that one was brutal, NWB got mugged and even the ESPN guys agreed that Prohm had a reason to be upset. I find it comical that 3 people disagree with my post that the refs were the difference in an 11 point loss. Let's take off the Cardinal and Gold colored glasses on a Friday night where several of us at this point have had a few beverages by now (myself included) and see that we let WVU dictate the style and pace of the game and did not make the adjustments needed to take control of the game ourselves.

We hear it's all about the "paths" in the NCAA tournament seedings. Well if we get matched up with any teams that can press and guard the perimeter like WVU can we are in trouble because we have no inside game on offense and if the 3 is not falling for us we are in trouble against teams that can finish around the rim and make us take tough shots. That's just the honest truth. I think we are also match-up nightmares for a lot of teams too but we aren't balanced enough to match-up against teams that are far superior to us where we are weak

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Yeah that one was brutal, NWB got mugged and even the ESPN guys agreed that Prohm had a reason to be upset. I find it comical that 3 people disagree with my post that the refs were the difference in an 11 point loss. Let's take off the Cardinal and Gold colored glasses on a Friday night where several of us at this point have had a few beverages by now (myself included) and see that we let WVU dictate the style and pace of the game and did not make the adjustments needed to take control of the game ourselves.

We hear it's all about the "paths" in the NCAA tournament seedings. Well if we get matched up with any teams that can press and guard the perimeter like WVU can we are in trouble because we have no inside game on offense and if the 3 is not falling for us we are in trouble against teams that can finish around the rim and make us take tough shots. That's just the honest truth. I think we are also match-up nightmares for a lot of teams too but we aren't balanced enough to match-up against teams that are far superior to us where we are weak
Our 3s have to fall regardless of who we play at this point the in the season.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

You will see, once the tournament rolls around, this is not good defense. It is beating the other team down on the court with so many fouls that the referees who officiate these games normally, don't call them like they are. Get a fresh pair of eyes on this team and the "great" perimeter defense will lead to foul outs and another Huggy Bear palpitation.

And yes, the referees can influence an 11 point game. If they would have called half of the hand checks alone, none of WVUs backcourt would have been around for most of the second half.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
have to resist saying too much...about this terribly officiated game right now....

after watching the second half that officiating team should not officiate another big 12 game. Until the big 12 actually steps up and fires someone for sub par officiating, then nothing will change. In terms of that game, nobody will ever convince me that those officials are not intimidated by Huggy.... Next in our conference is actually Underwood.... those dudes scare those officials and they get calls!!!!

Anyhow, going to bed... that game sucks hope those fricking hillbillies enjoy that cuz they gonna have another early exit like every other year when that game is played and officiated out of those hills and its called as basketball is supposed to be called.... That bully has found a loophole... commit 60 fouls cuz they not gonna call 30.......maybe our officials should review the rules. A hand check or the use of a hand to impede the offensive player is a foul..... read the rules cuz their player use their hands more then anyone i've watched all season and i watch a lot of bball!!!!

I'm out - hope wvu gets what they asking for...

Reactions: niangstermvp

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Wait about 8 months and that might happen.

That might be welcoming, but what will our inexperienced backcourt do against that crap next season, when our seniors had a hard enough time and really got beat up. It gives me nightmares just thinking about it.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
That might be welcoming, but what will our inexperienced backcourt do against that crap next season, when our seniors had a hard enough time and really got beat up. It gives me nightmares just thinking about it.

Bring it on.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I had recorded the game and started watching mid-way through the second half when we were down six. I watched for about literally 30 seconds and in that time, they called Monte for holding or something (the ESPN guys basically said it was perfect off the ball defense) which was his third foul, and they called DJ for bumping a guy on the perimeter. Looked fairly tame. At that point, I just fast-forwarded to the end, because if that's how they were calling it, I knew we were screwed.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
When the announcers showed videos bragging up WV defense on Monte and was a video with some guy holding Monte by the waste as he runs it was already a foregone conclusion who wins.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Do other leagues have their West Virginias? Ever since I can remember the Big 12 seems to have their privileged teams. I will say though, the refereeing this year except for this game has been pretty good.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Do other leagues have their West Virginias? Ever since I can remember the Big 12 seems to have their privileged teams. I will say though, the refereeing this year except for this game has been pretty good.
Some Iowa fans will tell you that Michigan State does the same thing. I don't watch enough of them to know if that's true or not.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This quote from Naz says it all for me:

“I thought Nick got hacked pretty hard,” said Naz Mitrou-Long, who scored 22 points. “We’d been pushing Nick to do stuff like that all year. As athletic as he is, he gets nailed and no call happens."

It wasn't just that he got cheated out of a foul, its precisely that everyone wants Nick to be more aggressive like that, and when I saw him rise up and go for the dunk I was so excited for him. But then when he gets body fouled, HARD, and there's no call, that really sets you off. So happy that Prohm did what he did, because I was begging for a T out of him after it happened.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
You will see, once the tournament rolls around, this is not good defense. It is beating the other team down on the court with so many fouls that the referees who officiate these games normally, don't call them like they are. Get a fresh pair of eyes on this team and the "great" perimeter defense will lead to foul outs and another Huggy Bear palpitation.

And yes, the referees can influence an 11 point game. If they would have called half of the hand checks alone, none of WVUs backcourt would have been around for most of the second half.

It wasn't that we were getting mugged, we knew that was going to happen. Its the fact that it didn't go both ways, if they don't want to call anything that's fine, but it needs to be on both sides. I don't know how many ticky tack fouls we got nailed for but it was a lot. There is no way that any game between us and WV we should have more fouls called than them. Its happened I believe 4 games in a row.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
All I can say re the HillBillies from the Mountains of West VA....is.....that the Big 12 must have been beyond desperate when they invited them instead of Louisville.......Typical incompetence from the Big 12 Conference

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
This quote from Naz says it all for me:

“I thought Nick got hacked pretty hard,” said Naz Mitrou-Long, who scored 22 points. “We’d been pushing Nick to do stuff like that all year. As athletic as he is, he gets nailed and no call happens."

It wasn't just that he got cheated out of a foul, its precisely that everyone wants Nick to be more aggressive like that, and when I saw him rise up and go for the dunk I was so excited for him. But then when he gets body fouled, HARD, and there's no call, that really sets you off. So happy that Prohm did what he did, because I was begging for a T out of him after it happened.

Prohm also said they he didnt say anything deragatory towards the refs when he got his T. Then later in the game you see Huggins screaming at the refs "Thats ****ing b*****t" and the refs just ignore him.

• Agree
Reactions: JJ4ISU

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Huggins is by far the most despicable coach in the conference and I will say, his fans are just like him, and his players also take on his personality. Even the refs get their minds perverted by the atmosphere. It reminds me of an orange leader and his minions.

• Winner
Reactions: cymac2408