Just laugh it off guys

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Can't blame the refs for an 11 point loss. Yeah they were physical and got away with a lot of contact but when the whistles aren't blowing in your favor you have to play smarter than we did. We turned the ball over 14 times which for us is a lot. Our shot selection was not the best, against that kind of defense you have to move the ball better and drive to create some open looks and too many times we stood around with the ball and tried taking the guy 1 on 1. When you have a good and athletic defensive team like that you can't play that 1 on 1 crap when you are undersized. I pretty much chalk it up that we are going to get killed on the boards every game and tonight was no different. We did not play smart on defense either, instead of trying to stay in front of our man and forcing tough shots we got too aggressive and made stupid mistakes.

I'm going to give credit where it's due, WVU has one of the toughest defenses in the country and I would hate to be the teams that have to play them in the tournament because if the refs allow them to play their game they are going to be a tough out. Let's not forget they had KU fans leaving the Phog with about 3 minutes left up 14 and somehow gave that game away but that is an elite team we played that we just don't match up well with.

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
I watched the 1st half and got plenty upset. Then, I had to listen to the 2nd half in the car. On SiriusXM, my only option was the "Home" feed, which meant the WVU homer announcers. If you think watching it is bad, try listening to their idiot announcers. "Thomas, got away with a walk there, brings it up the floor." "Devonte Burton, all over Carter, no call there." "Adrian with the block, and a foul is called, looked clean to me." On and on. Listening to that crap and knowing what was actually happening almost caused me to go full-on road rage mode.

Edit: Yes, they kept calling him Devonte. Not a spelling error on my part.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I'm going to give credit where it's due, WVU has one of the toughest defenses in the country and I would hate to be the teams that have to play them in the tournament because if the refs allow them to play their game they are going to be a tough out.
Thats the problem they most likely won't get refs who allow them to play like that. The Big 12 does itself a disservice by allowing teams to get away with this type of stuff during the regular season. Once Kansas and West Virginia aren't protected by officials they struggle to adjust.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm still blown away by the call that resulted in Prohm getting T'd up.

We were trying to remember if that was his first at ISU?

niangstermvp

Mar 1, 2014
I watched the 1st half and got plenty upset. Then, I had to listen to the 2nd half in the car. On SiriusXM, my only option was the "Home" feed, which meant the WVU homer announcers. If you think watching it is bad, try listening to their idiot announcers. "Thomas, got away with a walk there, brings it up the floor." "Devonte Burton, all over Carter, no call there." "Adrian with the block, and a foul is called, looked clean to me." On and on. Listening to that crap and knowing what was actually happening almost caused me to go full-on road rage mode.

Edit: Yes, they kept calling him Devonte. Not a spelling error on my part.
Just when I thought it couldn't have gotten any worse - what a nightmare.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Can't blame the refs for an 11 point loss. Yeah they were physical and got away with a lot of contact but when the whistles aren't blowing in your favor you have to play smarter than we did. We turned the ball over 14 times which for us is a lot. Our shot selection was not the best, against that kind of defense you have to move the ball better and drive to create some open looks and too many times we stood around with the ball and tried taking the guy 1 on 1. When you have a good and athletic defensive team like that you can't play that 1 on 1 crap when you are undersized. I pretty much chalk it up that we are going to get killed on the boards every game and tonight was no different. We did not play smart on defense either, instead of trying to stay in front of our man and forcing tough shots we got too aggressive and made stupid mistakes.

I'm going to give credit where it's due, WVU has one of the toughest defenses in the country and I would hate to be the teams that have to play them in the tournament because if the refs allow them to play their game they are going to be a tough out. Let's not forget they had KU fans leaving the Phog with about 3 minutes left up 14 and somehow gave that game away but that is an elite team we played that we just don't match up well with.
I agree with some of this. I think we played defense well, but were getting called constantly for things that WV got away with. It is pretty hard to play defense under those circumstance. I think we lost composure because of the terrible calls. That is what terrible refs will do to a team, make them lose their composure, then they have trouble shooting, making good decisions. They could have beat them if we could have somehow kept their composure. WV is not as good as their record. They get breaks from the refs in our conference and I am not going to speculate on why. They will pay for that in the post season. I said that would happen last year, and it did. I personally never thought this would happen but I despise them more than Kansas.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

If ISU was allowed to hold like WVU does its D would be better. Their D was crap when ISU's players got lose they were wide open for shots.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Here is a quote from a Huggy WVU fan BEFORE the game: Says it all.

Game tonight? Ehh.
I predict fouls, turnovers, THREE ball chuckin' and rim clanging.
Damn near unwatchable.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
If ISU was allowed to hold like WVU does its D would be better. Their D was crap when ISU's players got lose they were wide open for shots.

Agreed. Two sets of standards....one for WVU, one for whoever is playing them. You shouldn't have to overcome a different standard (of how they call the game) from the get go.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I'm going to give credit where it's due, WVU has one of the toughest defenses in the country and I would hate to be the teams that have to play them in the tournament because if the refs allow them to play their game they are going to be a tough out.
I see what you're saying, but I cannot give credit to a Huggins-coached team. The players do play hard - but that a$$hat of a coach does nothing but b**** and moan the entire time. His intimidation techniques and his brand of basketbrawl does a major disservice to the game. The sooner he gets out of coaching, the much better the state of Big XII basketball will be (that is, as long as Frank Martin doesn't come back to the conference).

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
WV is not as good as their record. They get breaks from the refs in our conference and I am not going to speculate on why. They will pay for that in the post season. I said that would happen last year, and it did. I personally never thought this would happen but I despise them more than Kansas.
I will - it's Thuggybear's ability to intimidate non A-list refs (and even some of the experienced ones). I'm actually less upset with the refs than I am in Huggins. Basketball is in a sad state when a coach believes he has to berate the refs in order to put his team in the best position to win - and it works with that bully, EVERY TIME against US! The fact that Prohm got T'd up tonight and Thuggs did not should tell a person all they need to know about the power structure in college basketball.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
We gave a great effort. Like someone said I would actually prefer to be on the opposite side of the big 12 tourney bracket from thuggy ball. Yes OSU and KU are tough but we match up better with them than WVU.