Downey has been kicked off ISU wrestling team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The Paulsons and the athletic trainer tried to rush into training that would only re-injure his rib. After sacrificing his body for the team last year, and seeing their results this year, he thought he might, for the first-ever time, look out for himself and his own chances at title this year, and try to ensure that he would be 100% for Big 12 and Nationals. At the beginning of his four game suspension (WHICH HE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED!), he was told by KJ and Pollard that he WOULD wrestle in the Big 12. How coincidental...on the day that Dresser announces that he's officially taking the new job and Paulson assumes the role of interim head coach (with KJ now out of the loop), Downey found out, via a TOM article on Twitter, that he's been kicked off the team. If this doesn't stink from the high heavens, nothing will. If Dresser wanted his scholarship for next year, all he had to do was speak with Downey. He had no plans on staying after he graduated, anyway. I can assure you all, you have not heard the last from us. They had four weeks to release Downey, but didn't. I bet if KJ and the Paulsons had a job on the line for next year, Downey would be at Big 12. What a bunch of behind the scenes back-stabbing sissies.

He successfully completed not competing for four meets. That doesn't mean he successfully completed the terms of his suspension. He openly admits he failed to hold up his end of the suspension. He just assumed the coaches wouldn't call him on it because they'd failed to do so in the past. Jackson is not blameless for that, but Pat is still an adult and made his own decisions.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Just because you complete a suspension doesn't mean you're going to participate, especially when you're continuously breaking team rules.
It should if you've been told by the AD and the Head Coach that you will be reinstated after the suspension and will be in the Big 12. AGAIN...comprehend what I wrote. HE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE SUSPENSION....NO ADDITIONAL RULES BROKEN!

• Creative
Reactions: CyDude16

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Wouldn't showing up to practice and actually doing some wrestling be an important part of being 100% for the postseason? What good is being fully healthy for the postseason if you are woefully out of wrestling shape?

Did he do additional things to break team rules during that "4 game suspension"? If he did, then he most likely broke the terms he agreed to for reinstatement, rendering the agreement void.

Also, what would have happened if they had released him in those 4 weeks you speak of? He'd be in the exact same situation as he is now, off the team with no shot of wrestling in the postseason.

1. Can't attend practices during the suspension.
2. For the second time, he successfully completed the suspension. No additional rule violations.
3. Other teams are already trying to pick him up. He would have had four additional weeks to accomplish this.

• Creative

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
If should if you've been told by the AD and the Head Coach that you will be reinstated after the suspension and will be in the Big 12. AGAIN...comprehend what I wrote. HE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE SUSPENSION....NO ADDITIONAL RULES BROKEN!

KukL9p4.jpg

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
There's no indication he asked for a release before yesterday. And based on his Twitter ISU granted him a release to any school other than those in the Big XII or non-conference schools that are on ISU's dual schedule next season.
SMH...why would he have asked for one prior to yesterday!? That's a stupid statement.

• Funny

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
He successfully completed not competing for four meets. That doesn't mean he successfully completed the terms of his suspension. He openly admits he failed to hold up his end of the suspension. He just assumed the coaches wouldn't call him on it because they'd failed to do so in the past. Jackson is not blameless for that, but Pat is still an adult and made his own decisions.
Dude, you're an idiot. No more peanut gallery ******** from you.

• Funny

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
1. Can't attend practices during the suspension.
2. For the second time, he successfully completed the suspension. No additional rule violations.
3. Other teams are already trying to pick him up. He would have had four additional weeks to accomplish this.

You think he would have gotten picked up by another school, and been allowed to compete by that school THIS SEASON?

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Was he really snowboarding with a broken rib? Or bum ankle? Or was that during the suspension? Is he healthy now? Physically, I mean.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014

FWIW, I'm pretty damn sure the coaches are aware PD3 is a talented wrestler who can win a lot of matches, and skill-wise, probably is the best wrestler in the room.

Athletic programs also have behavioral standards. CHARACTER standards. TEAM standards (i.e., don't talk **** about your teammates or coaches on public platforms).

As the sign in Jack Trice Stadium says, "Honor Before Victory". If PD3 goes D1 next year, he'll likely face an ISU guy at some point and may beat them. He's not being dismissed because of skill, he's apparently being dismissed because he can't follow the standards set for the wrestling team.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
SMH...why would he have asked for one prior to yesterday!? That's a stupid statement.
Guess for the same reason as to why would they release him or kick him off before seeing if he served and followed through with his suspension?

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
It should if you've been told by the AD and the Head Coach that you will be reinstated after the suspension and will be in the Big 12. AGAIN...comprehend what I wrote. HE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE SUSPENSION....NO ADDITIONAL RULES BROKEN!

This reminds me of when Jameel Mckay thought he was going to play after his 1 game suspension, but Prohm kept on suspending him to prove a point. And credit to Mckay, he seemed to understand things and changed his ways.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Downey didn't rape anybody, he didn't kill anybody, he didn't beat up a girlfriend, he didn't hurt anybody else. He's not a Long or a Marsteller. Nobody is doing anything but experiencing a little schadenfruede at the Downey family's complete and utter lack of self awareness. Nobody is wishing him any ill and I'm sure a lot of us will cheer for him if he fights in MMA. Hopefully he learns from this and figures out that "being able to win matches" isn't enough if he can't keep himself straight otherwise. He's got a lot of talent and it would suck to see that go to waste.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
This thread is almost as golden as PD3's Twitter. Nothing says "Hey, other D1 schools, pick me up!" like filterlessly cussing out people and coaches on social media. But who cares about maturity and personal responsibility, right?

• Agree
Reactions: NYWRESTLER94

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
The Paulsons and the athletic trainer tried to rush Pat into training that would only re-injure his rib. After sacrificing his body for the team last year, and seeing their results this year, he thought he might, for the first-ever time, look out for himself and his own chances at title this year, and try to ensure that he would be 100% for Big 12 and Nationals. At the beginning of his four game suspension (WHICH HE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED!), he was told by KJ and Pollard that he WOULD wrestle in the Big 12. How coincidental...on the day that Dresser announces that he's officially taking the new job and Paulson assumes the role of interim head coach (with KJ now out of the loop), Downey found out, via a TOM article on Twitter, that he's been kicked off the team. If this doesn't stink from the high heavens, nothing does. If Dresser wanted his scholarship for next year, all he had to do was speak with Downey. He had no plans on staying after he graduated, anyway. I can assure you all, you have not heard the last from us. They had four weeks to release Downey, but didn't. I bet if KJ and the Paulsons had a job on the line for next year, Downey would be at Big 12. What a bunch of behind the scenes back-stabbing sissies.
...But I thought Downey loved KJ so much? Why would he leave after this summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron