Music Mondays - One Hit Wonders

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Another Vanilla Ice memory.

I remember being SO ticked that a kid from down the street stole my Vanilla Ice - To The Extreme cassette.

Then a few months later everyone was trying to forget that they ever liked Vanilla Ice.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would have thought this song made it higher than that, too.

My neighbor across the street considers himself to be a big "Big Country" fan and has been to multiple concerts. I think he's probably the only one.

All I can think of is Bryant "Big Country" Reeves of Okie State and NBA fame. Eff that guy!

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Ok, a couple more...

Sylvia "Nobody" peaked at #15 on the Hot 100, #9 on Cashbox pop singles. It was a massive #1 country hit, ranking #2 for the entire year of 1982. She had a decades worth of country hits and won the ACM Female Vocalist award in 1983, but never charted another song on the pop charts.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood "Relax" reached #10. Americans really didn't get how nasty this song was (especially for the 'innocent' 80s).

Giant "I'll See You in My Dreams" reached #20. I loved this whole album in 1990. The lead singer, Dann Huff is today one of the biggest producers in Nashville.

The Shamen "Move Any Mountain" only made it to #38, but this was such a great radio song for driving in 1992.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This one's way out of left field, but I always liked it. My brother is 8 years older than me and he had multiple Kings X albums, so I was into them. This is the only single that had a big video and charted in the top 10.

And it's cool, so I'm sharing it with all my CF friends.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I always used to (and still would) watch the "100 One Hit Wonders of the..." shows on VH-1. It's interesting to see how someone else ranks stuff you're familiar with it. But I'm always that guy yelling at the tv, "That's not a one hit wonder!!! They had three other top 40 songs!" or something like that. But I was obsessed with American Top 40 Sunday mornings for years when I was a kid and bought Billboard every week for at least seven years in the 80s and 90s. I own about a dozen Joel Whitburn Billboard chart books just so I have easy reference to everything. Too bad I couldn't make a living off that hobby. It's one of my few true passions.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One of my favorite videos from late 90's early 2000's. Cool vibe and unique video.

Great song. I'd suggest listening to Cosmic Girl, Canned Heat, and Seven Days in Sunny June. All good songs, just never reached the height of this one iconic video.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Can I include a 2 hit wonder? Another of my FAVORITE videos from mid-90's. How many had Ninjas coming out to fight the band? Huh?

Obviously, they also had 'Lump', but this is a FAR better video.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp