Friday OT - Boycott!

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
I respect your stance regarding Chick fil a. I used to be same way with businesses, entertainers, etc. that I did not agree with politically. I actually like their food and their service is second to none for fast food. For those reasons I will actually go to Chick Fil A. Your right, KFC has slipped a lot.

I stopped worrying about patronizing (or not) these entities for this reason: Every place you go to spend money, will have people that work there that are disagreeable politically. It's just not worth the effort to skip out on a good meal, concert, movie, etc. just because the other people believe differently. Life's too short.

Go Clones!!!!

So you are actually inclusive and above petty political opinions. Quite the concept.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Hy-Vee quit being the helpful smile in every aisle and have converted to increasing profit margins. I watched as more and more select offerings were replaced by Hy-Vee brands. I was always quite willing to pay a premium for the selection and service I wanted. I did try to express my feelings but they were not helpful. Then, when I gassed up my car and the $0.62 fuel saver credit I had registered only $0.47 - I've not set foot in a Hy-Vee since.
I will almost guarantee this is your fault because you didn't use them in the 30 days they last for.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I will almost guarantee this is your fault because you didn't use them in the 30 days they last for.

Could be on the fuel saver side. If so. that just further makes my case that the doesn't value the customer in a way I'm willing to pay a premium for. I'm willing to pay for it if I'm treated in the manner I pay for.

And also, I won't shop at Hobby Lobby or eat at Chick fil a. And damn their chicken sandwiches are good.

Reactions: Angie

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Could be on the fuel saver side. If so. that just further makes my case that the doesn't value the customer in a way I'm willing to pay a premium for. I'm willing to pay for it if I'm treated in the manner I pay for.

And also, I won't shop at Hobby Lobby or eat at Chick fil a. And damn their chicken sandwiches are good.
What??? Because you can't follow the rules it's HyVee's fault? If you don't want to shop at HyVee fine but the amount of people that get mad about Fuel saver issues is ridiculous especially when it's their fault. Consumers need to realize that the "customers always right" is a lie. If you want to treat the workers respectfully and listen then they will generally do everything they can to help you.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Verizon. We were with them for 6 years and always had terrible customer service both via phone and in store.

We wanted to start cutting back on some monthly bills and ended up switching to cricket about 8 months ago. I'm still dealing with Verizon on a constant monthey basis as they keep trying to get money out of us. Each month they claim a different reason for charges and I have to walk them through everything again on why we don't owe them ****.

Then they always say charges are dropped and we won't see any more bills and every month is comes back. They also say they will send email or text confirmations saying we have no balance and are fully disconnected but they never do. I just record the calls now to play back for them.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
What??? Because you can't follow the rules it's HyVee's fault? If you don't want to shop at HyVee fine but the amount of people that get mad about Fuel saver issues is ridiculous especially when it's their fault. Consumers need to realize that the "customers always right" is a lie. If you want to treat the workers respectfully and listen then they will generally do everything they can to help you.

Hy Vee uses that fuel saver card to guide people to first buy, and then buy the products they want us to buy - more profit. In many instances I made buying decisions based on fuel saver. Call me a dupe for that if you want, but if it really is the policy to take those away after 30 days??? That's not about the customer always being right in any form and was NEVER my argument. It's about Hy Vee limiting their liability. That's an arbitrary decision made by the organization just for that purpose and IMO clearly shows that it has slipped from the ranks of companies that I USED to believe could call itself a customer oriented organization - that has nothing to do with the customer always being right. The focus has slipped too far toward incremental profits - on the backs of its customers. And in fact its brand. Smacks of the gift card industry.

That said, you focused in on what I called the last straw. My primary grievance was the proliferation of Hy Vee branded products instead of the selection of better products - for which I also stated I was quite willing to pay for. I was the rare person that reached out and expressed my thoughts - gave them a chance to keep my business - and they blew me off. I was an inconvenience.

I'm only one customer - but I spent about $100 a week there. Customers add up. And since you apparently work for Hy Vee, you might pass that on. Hy Vee has lost it's perch at the top of the customer satisfaction hill - in real terms. Perception will follow. I'm quite sure the profits right now look incrementally better but my bet is it doesn't last as more people like me have experiences like I did. Not $0.15 on a fuel saver card - that cost me about $2.25 total.

Oh... And I won't buy Barilla pasta anymore either. The simple fact is I demand better from the businesses I patronize. And I'm quite happy to pay for it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
That said, you focused in on what I called the last straw. My primary grievance was the proliferation of Hy Vee branded products instead of the selection of better products - for which I also stated I was quite willing to pay for. I was the rare person that reached out and expressed my thoughts - gave them a chance to keep my business - and they blew me off. I was an inconvenience.

I guess I've never noticed their lack of brands. Everything I buy they usually have their store brand and then a couple other options. My wife loves cooking and she drives an extra 5 miles and passes by Fareway and Price Chopper so she can get the specialty items that the other two don't carry.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I guess I've never noticed their lack of brands. Everything I buy they usually have their store brand and then a couple other options. My wife loves cooking and she drives an extra 5 miles and passes by Fareway and Price Chopper so she can get the specialty items that the other two don't carry.

I really didn't mean to go on a diatribe against Hy Vee. Out of all the things I've posted in this thread, that was the only one that was about what I considered to be a shift in a business model and away from what I'm willing to pay for. Those on the right will consider my other positions political, but I consider them a matter of moral conscience.

That said, I will be political this weekend. My V-Day purchase will be from Nordstrom. It's a one time gesture though. We'll see if they can earn future business. I've never shopped there.

I used to LOVE Hy Vee. I would drive several miles to shop there despite having a Price Chopper a half mile from my home. And I'd pay more to do it. But I watched the selections change, and what I perceive to be the business model changing. I simply won't pay a premium for that.

This morning I went to WalMart. Spent $66. Then I drove to Fareway and spent another $41 on meat. Bigger week than normal at those prices. Probably would have been $120 or so at Hy Vee. But after my groceries were bagged at Fareway, two young kids had all of my three bags and were going to carry them to my car for me. Of course I chastised them - in fun - for assuming I'm an old man that can't carry three bags. But the fact is, it's their business model. If it had better selection and bigger stores, I'd do all of my shopping there. And be willing to pay a premium for it.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Hy Vee uses that fuel saver card to guide people to first buy, and then buy the products they want us to buy - more profit. In many instances I made buying decisions based on fuel saver. Call me a dupe for that if you want, but if it really is the policy to take those away after 30 days??? That's not about the customer always being right in any form and was NEVER my argument. It's about Hy Vee limiting their liability. That's an arbitrary decision made by the organization just for that purpose and IMO clearly shows that it has slipped from the ranks of companies that I USED to believe could call itself a customer oriented organization - that has nothing to do with the customer always being right. The focus has slipped too far toward incremental profits - on the backs of its customers. And in fact its brand. Smacks of the gift card industry.

I'm only one customer - but I spent about $100 a week there. Customers add up. And since you apparently work for Hy Vee, you might pass that on. Hy Vee has lost it's perch at the top of the customer satisfaction hill - in real terms. Perception will follow. I'm quite sure the profits right now look incrementally better but my bet is it doesn't last as more people like me have experiences like I did. Not $0.15 on a fuel saver card - that cost me about $2.25 total.

Oh... And I won't buy Barilla pasta anymore either. The simple fact is I demand better from the businesses I patronize. And I'm quite happy to pay for it.
I have issues with things HyVee does but the 30 days is very clearly stated with the fuel saver stuff. As someone who has worked in customer service industry I see people get mad at the workers who can't control that stuff. It irritates me because I remember being yelled at for stuff I can't control.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I have issues with things HyVee does but the 30 days is very clearly stated with the fuel saver stuff. As someone who has worked in customer service industry I see people get mad at the workers who can't control that stuff. It irritates me because I remember being yelled at for stuff I can't control.

That was never my argument. I hope you've figured that out by now. A 30 day expiration policy - rules or not - is designed to screw the customers and improve the bottom line. Iam not willing to pay a premium to a company that employs that type of policy. And Hy Vee is VERY premium priced.

And no, I certainly didn't read the fine print of the fuel saver card in the interest of saving $2.25. I simply expected common sense and customer friendly - you know, friendly smile in every aisle - type of approach from Hy Vee.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron