BREAKING: Cameron Lard cleared, will be here this weekend

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Glad this got sorted out, in the long run, pushing him back a year could be great for the program. With our lack of depth in the post, there was a 0% chance Lard would RS if he got here in time, now he basically has to be and we won't lose he and Young the same year. Having the scholarships a little more balance can hopefully avoid seasons like this year where we were replacing our top 3 frontcourt players.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
upload_2017-1-5_18-55-30.png

As of now with Lard seemingly online.

Still three to give, or four baking in a reasonable expectation of attrition or injury.

Going to be quite the line change into next year.

Then again, NWB, Long, Young, Lard, McNeill, Wigginton, and Lewis sounds like a Generation Prohm that could be really good in 2-3 years after some growing pains next year.

Reactions: heitclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Don't know why "growing pains" are always assumed, grad transfers have changed that dynamic completely.

This is the list of grad transfers to ISU since the first Hoiberg year...

Jake Anderson
DeAndre Kane
Bryce Dejean-Jones
Darrell Bowie
Merrill Holden

...which I would rate, in sequence...

a good wing on a bad team
simply awesome, an All-American
talented, but a world-class head case
a meh minute-filling 3.5
just lost his spot in the rotation

Kane is the exception. Anderson is probably #2 on that list. I loved me some Uncle Jake, but this has not historically been the deepest and most consistent vein for talent in the past five years. And this is before accounting for the fact that (1.) Fred was known for this and (2.) other teams have caught up to recruiting this market, which Fred previously went all Jonah Hill on and Moneyball'd us right back into national contention with transfers.

Prohm had plenty of PT to sell to posts this off-season and did as well as he did. I don't want to depend on this market for Big 12 ready posts. I am glad that Bowie and Holden are here, but I would rather we grow some of our own trees down low.

I am all for a hybrid roster construction at ISU -- history, from Orr on forward, says that ISU is going to have a mix of good high school recruits, JUCOs, and transfers when we are our best and competing for the conference and nationally. Willoughby, Cato, Tinsley, JVB, Christopherson, White, Babb, McGee, Clyburn, Kane, Nader, we all know the names of the good and great ones who wore something else before cardinal and gold. We are never going to be able to take top-tier high school talent out of the pond year after year. But there a lot of consistency issues in depending on grad transfers to fill out your front court rotation.

This year is a particular lesson towards that.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
This is the list of grad transfers to ISU since the first Hoiberg year...

Jake Anderson
DeAndre Kane
Bryce Dejean-Jones
Darrell Bowie
Merrill Holden

...which I would rate, in sequence...

a good wing on a bad team
simply awesome, an All-American
talented, but a world-class head case
a meh minute-filling 3.5
just lost his spot in the rotation

Kane is the exception. Anderson is probably #2 on that list. I loved me some Uncle Jake, but this has not historically been the deepest and most consistent vein for talent in the past five years. And this is before accounting for the fact that (1.) Fred was known for this and (2.) other teams have caught up to recruiting this market, which Fred previously went all Jonah Hill on and Moneyball'd us right back into national contention with transfers.

Prohm had plenty of PT to sell to posts this off-season and did as well as he did. I don't want to depend on this market for Big 12 ready posts. I am glad that Bowie and Holden are here, but I would rather we grow some of our own trees down low.

I am all for a hybrid roster construction at ISU -- history, from Orr on forward, says that ISU is going to have a mix of good high school recruits, JUCOs, and transfers when we are our best and competing for the conference and nationally. We are never going to be able to take top-tier high school talent out of the pond year after year. But there a lot of consistency issues in depending on grad transfers to fill out your rotation.

This year is a particular lesson towards that.

I'll take a Jake Anderson right now, great player who made winning plays.

Not a guy who fits the profiles because he truly was a "small forward ".

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Can't wait hear what Pete, Hines, and Birch have to write and tweet. Not really

Can't wait for the retrospective "what if Lard wouldn't have redshirted" articles from these hacks after the season is over.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
"...freshman post player has been 100 percent cleared academically and will be in Ames this weekend."

Is 100% cleared enough to remove the ISU nut cup?

We've moved past NCAA Lard watch but we still have Lard jersey # watch, Lard is on Campus watch, Lard is in Hilton watch and Lard Pregame Warm-Up Dunk watch. Long way to go yet fanatics.

Welcome Cameron.

Never, ever, ever, ever remove the ISU nut cup.

• Useful
Reactions: discydisc

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Not sure if posted somewhere else but her is some new footage "at least to me" of Cam.
Check out @CycloneSJ's Tweet:

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Not sure if posted somewhere else but her is some new footage "at least to me" of Cam.
Check out @CycloneSJ's Tweet:

I made that but didn't tweet it because I wanted to avoid being called creepy.

Both those games were from last year. They played against Advanced Prep. Advanced Prep had a ridiculous lineup so the competition shouldn't be a concern. Advanced Prep started

Trevon Duval: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/1139

Terrence Ferguson: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/477

Mark Vital: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/1233

Billy Preston: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/1232

Nysier Brooks: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/5095