Diet successes

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I just ate a family sized box of mac and cheese. I don't think that adds anything to this thread, but thought you should know.
Man, you aint going to be able to **** for like a week.

Reactions: bos

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Come back in 5 years and there will be a whole need set of diets. South Beach, Atkins, Paleo, Baby Food, etc. If you don't want to be fat, eating fewer calories seems to work pretty well.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I lost about 30 lbs early last year by using My Fitness Pal and limiting myself to 1500 calories a day. Lost track and gained about 10 of it back the last few months, now trying to get back to just eating 1500 calories is rough...

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I never liked fresh veggies or fruits growing up, trying to force myself to find some I can tolerate. Never thought I would care but I realize my middle school boy metabolism won't last forever. I cut out sugar and sodium for the most part without trying too hard, never been a dessert or seasoning guy, give me my meats plain.

Finally feel like I need to make a few lifestyle changes health wise for exercise, food and beer consumption. Looking for a cheap treadmill and some adjustable dumbbells if anyone is selling.

I'll never give up pizza or pasta though, I can eat a lot of pasta.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Try the Red-Green diet plan.

duct-tape-over-mouth.jpg

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
A past employer utilized the "Naturally Slim" program for anyone that was interested, free of charge. I lost 20 pounds during the 10 week program and have pretty much kept it off now for 6 years. It is truly a lifestyle change not a diet. Why are there so many diets out there? Because they do not work long term. You have to commit to a lifestyle change and will have greater long term success.

The best part of Naturally Slim is you can eat whatever you want (in moderation) and continue to drink beer. Wine and sweets occasionally. Always remember that sugar is the devil.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm the type of person who has tried every kind of fad diet known to man, usually when I have some event that has snuck up on me. I've never had a weight problem, yes I could stand to lose 10-20 pounds, but here is what has worked best for me.

For short term:

Slow Carb Diet. This always works amazingly, and I've created a few recipes for during the week that are damn tasty and filling. For information on this, I'd start with this article from Tim Farris (my hero).

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2007/04...of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/

For Long Term:

The simple answer, moderation is key. Diet's are dumb. Use My Fitness Pal as it will keep you honest and you will see exactly what you are eating on a daily basis. Yes it can be a pain at times to log everything, but it helps immensely. Their new recipe builder is also amazing so I've started using it again.

If your a competitive person, try www.dietbet.com. Keeps you honest, makes you financially dependant on losing some weight. I've made a ton of money with this over the past 5 years. Pro-tip if you want to do this, play medium sized games. If you play 100+ most people are going to make it as the stakes are higher so it usually have a low payoff. If you play 20-50 dollar games, enough people will lose that you will normally double your money. You can play 3 games at a time.

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines
One thing I can't stress enough to people who are just jumping into diets and/or fitness plans with the aim of losing weight: Do Not Weigh Yourself Daily. Your body will fluctuate day to day, especially for women, and the progress will feel so much slower. Especially if you're trying to build muscle too -- your weight may not change much but your appearance will. There's no need to know your weight every single day unless you're a wrestler, boxer, or jockey. I currently weigh myself about every 10 - 14 days.
this isn't a good blanket statement for everyone. It's a personal preference. If you can't stand the idea of seeing that you body naturally weighs different everyday, then don't weight yourself everyday.

I use the "libra" app and log in everyday and i love seeing all the data points but the trick is to watch the trend line. As long as it's going down then I'm happy (when trying to lose weight). An alternative could be to get a WiFi scale that automatically logs the data but then you only actually look acts it once acts week and make sure it's progressing like you want.

In your example of logging every 10 days, what happens when you log today and get the bottom of a valley then next week log and hit the top of a peak? Depending how much water retained and your poop status, it could show +5lb.

I think figuring out what works for you is the best approach.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
That's fine if your only concern is weight. If you want to get yourself into great shape and truly be healthy, there's far more to it than calories.

not to mention your activity level plays a huge role as well. A healthy weight + desk job can still result in some unpleasant numbers at the doctor's office.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I lost about 30 lbs early last year by using My Fitness Pal and limiting myself to 1500 calories a day. Lost track and gained about 10 of it back the last few months, now trying to get back to just eating 1500 calories is rough...

not a big fan of MFP's calorie limits. It had me at 1200 which is not idea. I'm more a fan of the TDEE method. You find that, adjust the MFP calories to match, and go from there. And don't eat back the exercise calories with that method.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Come back in 5 years and there will be a whole need set of diets. South Beach, Atkins, Paleo, Baby Food, etc. If you don't want to be fat, eating fewer calories seems to work pretty well.

South Beach, Atkins, Paleo are all somewhat similar and have been around for decades. Limit carbs, healthy protein, adequate fats... I would say come back in 5 years to see how the scientifically proven methods that have withstood numerous research challenges are merely called something else. Keto diet was "invented" in the 30s as a way to treat epilepsy with success I might add. Protein diets since the turn of the century - at least written about since then. The only "new" diet is the traditional american diet. I mean they re-labelled the standard american diet as SAD and THAT'S been around since the 70s with the explosion of obesity and diabetes and other such things. I think you're just a fan of the marketing - not the science.

I KNOW you are being supportive of your fellow cyclone fans who have made, are currently making, or are trying to make, significant lifestyle changes. We all acknowledge your poop don't stink, but perhaps some understanding for those of us who's poop DOES stink?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I KNOW you are being supportive of your fellow cyclone fans who have made, are currently making, or are trying to make, significant lifestyle changes. We all acknowledge your poop don't stink, but perhaps some understanding for those of us who's poop DOES stink?

Calm down dude, I'm fat. Not a little chunky, fat.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron