12/16 - 12/17 Snowstorm?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
But what if the name of the winter storm was Winter Storm Ditka?
Winter Storm Ditka, 32. Da Bears, 176.
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: wxman1

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
How can any common person even know what to expect at this point. If you pay attention to one forecasting channel or site, it changes by the hour. If you look at a bunch of different forecasts at one time those forecasts are all over the place.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Here is how it works:
1. Despite only having a civilization crippling snowfall once a decade in Iowa it will be predicted that there will be a civilization crippling snowfall.
2. Everyone will rush to the store and buy 1 month a food despite already having 3 weeks of food in their pantry and despite that if there was a civilization crippling snowfall it would only cripple civilization for 48 hours at most.
3. All my neighbors will be up at the butt crack of dawn frantically shoveling and blowing their driveway despite having absolutely nothing to do all day.
4. After clearing their driveway they will immediately drive to the grocery store and buy some things despite having just bought 1 months of food 36 hours prior.

Last edited:

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Here is how it works:
1. Despite only having a civilization crippling snowfall once a decade in Iowa it will be predicted that there will be a civilization crippling snowfall.
2. Everyone will rush to the store and buy 1 month a food despite already having 3 weeks of food in their pantry and despite that if there was a civilization crippling snowfall it would only cripple civilization for 48 hours at most.
3. All my neighbors will be up at the butt crack of dawn frantically shoveling and blowing their driveway despite having absolutely nothing to do all day.
4. After clearing their driveway they will immediately drive to the grocery store and buy some things despite having just bought 1 months of food 36 hours prior.
Civilization and Crippling are the only words I saw the whole time reading this post.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I took a meteorology course at ISU, so, naturally, I'm an expert...

I know that meteorologists are working with empirical models that are imperfect. These models are based on parameters that are changing by the minute. So, I don't fault meteorologists for being "wrong" persay. Really, they are communicating what is most likely to occur, but often they communicate in terms of "this will happen." So, people get upset because the meteorologist told them it would be sunny, but their BBQ got rained out.

My question to those in the field or more knowledgeable than I: is there a site or tool that shows the confidence level of the various paths that the layman can have access to? I've seen something similar for hurricanes, but I haven't seen anything for snow storms.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I took a meteorology course at ISU, so, naturally, I'm an expert...

I know that meteorologists are working with empirical models that are imperfect. These models are based on parameters that are changing by the minute. So, I don't fault meteorologists for being "wrong" persay. Really, they are communicating what is most likely to occur, but often they communicate in terms of "this will happen." So, people get upset because the meteorologist told them it would be sunny, but their BBQ got rained out.

My question to those in the field or more knowledgeable than I: is there a site or tool that shows the confidence level of the various paths that the layman can have access to? I've seen something similar for hurricanes, but I haven't seen anything for snow storms.
I took that class too. Got a lot of newspaper reading in.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
have a party Sat night across town I want to go to so it'd be great if it's done by midday Sat. Wondering when it's supposed to start. I'd be ok with having to go home early on Friday.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Actually I think that you can tell that computer modeling is getting a lot better with more powerful computers and some improved understanding. They have nailed the timing of this storm 16-17th from at least 7-10 days out. That is impressive. The exact tract and temperature obviously proves to be harder and what matters to more people because they only see what happens in their area.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I took that class too. Got a lot of newspaper reading in.

As I recall, you got extra credit points for doing forecasts yourself. Naturally, I would go to the NWS website and put in their data for my forecast. You could do one forecast a day for the entire semester and it got you at least 1 extra credit point just for submitting and even more if you were actually right. When we got to the final, I needed a 7 out of 180 points to keep the A I already had. The class was fairly educational and the severe storm stuff was cool. My TA was Kai Johnson-Omara who is now the weather guy for KCRG, in Cedar Rapids.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron