2016 Rio Summer Olympics

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What is a drinking song? I've never understood.

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner

"The Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem of the United States of America. The lyrics come from "Defence of Fort M'Henry",[2] a poem written on September 14, 1814 by the 35-year-old lawyer and amateur poet Francis Scott Key after witnessing the bombardment of Fort McHenry by British ships of the Royal Navy in Baltimore Harbor during the Battle of Fort McHenry in the War of 1812. Key was inspired by the largeAmerican flag, the Star-Spangled Banner, flying triumphantly above the fort during the American victory.

The poem was set to the tune of a popular British song written by John Stafford Smith for the Anacreontic Society, a men's social club in London. "To Anacreon in Heaven" (or "The Anacreontic Song"), with various lyrics, was already popular in the United States. Set to Key's poem and renamed "The Star-Spangled Banner", it soon became a well-known American patriotic song. With a range of one octave and one fifth (a semitone more than an octave and a half), it is known for being difficult to sing. Although the poem has four stanzas, only the first is commonly sung today.

A "popular song" for a British men's social club = a song men sing when they're drunk off their arse. AKA a "drinking song".

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Considering I never went to the bar and sang songs specifically written for drinking how would I know what a drinking song is?

Have you never watched movies that have British men drunk off their arse? There are plenty of them out there. Just because you never participated in something like that doesn't mean you can't know what it is.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
that was fantastic. These girls are just out of this world. Loved Aly's floor routine. Watching the Chinese ones on floor right before really makes you appreciate how much better the US women are. Simone is unbelievable.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Ledecky and Lilly King both holding off those swimmers closing on them was so impressive.

Edit: I'm way behind.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Considering I never went to the bar and sang songs specifically written for drinking how would I know what a drinking song is?
Entertainment from the era before "sports bars" and canned music. Just because you've never done it doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere in the world. Ever heard of "Oktoberfest"?

Bier her! Bier her! Oder ich fall' um, juchhe!
Soll das Bier im Keller liegen,
und ich hier die Ohnmacht kriegen?

Loosely translated:
Beer here, beer here, or I'll collapse. (Hooray)
Should the beer remain in the cellar
while I'm here, fainting?

IIRC, the Irish have some pretty good tunes also...

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Did anyone else end up getting spoilers. I found that to be extremely irritating. I mean I completely get posting something right after it airs, but Sportscenter posted something well before it was on NBC. I understand when I'm behind on DVR but if I am watching the coverage live then I shouldn't be seeing spoilers.

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines
Did anyone else end up getting spoilers. I found that to be extremely irritating. I mean I completely get posting something right after it airs, but Sportscenter posted something well before it was on NBC. I understand when I'm behind on DVR but if I am watching the coverage live then I shouldn't be seeing spoilers.

Isn't most of the prime time olympic nbc stuff tape delayed stuff that happened much earlier in the day? If you really were watching live there would be nothing to spoil.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Yeah, heard on the radio that women's gymnastics won gold. Not that I was likely to watch, but for those who were, that would be irritating.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Isn't most of the prime time olympic nbc stuff tape delayed stuff that happened much earlier in the day? If you really were watching live there would be nothing to spoil.
As far as I know only the gymnastics is. Like I said the key is once it airs in the US you should be free to announce it. The problem is unless you went and watched it on the internet you couldn't have seen it yet.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
As far as I know only the gymnastics is. Like I said the key is once it airs in the US you should be free to announce it. The problem is unless you went and watched it on the internet you couldn't have seen it yet.

NBC nightly news announced the gymnastics team won right before NBC's coverage began. An odd choice by them.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I get that it sucks to find out early, but just because NBC chooses not to broadcast it live doesn't mean it isn't news when it happens.

• Disagree
Reactions: jkclone