Bourbon

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
1. Cedar Ridge - liquid Iowa gold.
2. Buffalo Trace - similar to cedar ridge but cheaper.
3. Eagle Rare - aged 10 years and smoove like butta
4. Makers Mark - sweet
5. Evan Williams - $15 and the only bourbon I use for mixing. Surprisingly good on the rocks too though.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Woodford Reserve if I'm drinking it neat. (Whiskey stones, not ice cubs. Don't want to water it down.)

Maker's Mark if it's going into an Old Fashioned.

There are no other acceptable ways to drink bourbon.

It's actually recommended that you put a splash of water or a small ice cube (whiskey stones CAN be bad if they make your scotch cold as it can do the opposite and seaze up the flavors) in with your whiskey. It helps release the aromas and flavors.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I usually stock up when Hy Vee runs sales on the "good stuff". Have a couple bottles of Woodford Reserve right now. Surprised no one has mentioned Knob Creek. Really used to like that stuff, but they priced themselves out of the market. Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark are both nice. Tempelton Rye has never impressed me.

Read a good article a year or so ago suggesting that most of the differences in high end Whiskey is mostly marketing, so don't think they are probably any better than what I am already drinking.

I know it's not Bourbon, but have really developed a liking for some of the Irish and Canadian Whiskeys.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I just inherited a bottle of Old Mr. Boston Brand American Whiskey. Anybody know anything about it? Looks like the distillery closed in 1986, per Google.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Everything
That Buffalo Trace Distillery handles... BT, WL Weiler Reserve, Eagle Rare, Sazerac Rye, Blanton's, EH TaylorJR.... Luv all of them....!!!!

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Not adding much to this other than to say I love this thread. Buddy has a huge bourbon collection so I've tried most but sitting at a bar Evan WIlliams is my go-to. Curious what everyone thinks of all the flavored varieties? They are good for trying to introduce someone else to the flavor IMO but not something I drink more than one (double) of at a time.
Jack Honey and Evan WIlliams peach are 2 of my favorites.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Speaking of whiskey stones do people really have good luck with those? I got a set and keep them in the deep freeze and really don't notice a huge difference.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Speaking of whiskey stones do people really have good luck with those? I got a set and keep them in the deep freeze and really don't notice a huge difference.
I think it's one of those things that snobs use, but isn't really noticeable.

ISUalways

Jul 16, 2014
State of Iowa
My favorite which is hard to come by and cost good money is 20 year old Orphan Barrel. Taking a close second place in single barrel 4 Roses.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I sampled some amazing (and amazingly expensive) bourbons when I was bartending at the Broadmoor Hotel in Col. Spgs. but Maker's Mark and Knob Creek are my go-to's for bourbon's that are affordable and accessible. Maker's Mark if I am going to have it mixed. Knob Creek if I just want to enjoy it over a glass of ice.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
My favorite which is hard to come by and cost good money is 20 year old Orphan Barrel. Taking a close second place in single barrel 4 Roses.
There's a new restaurant in downtown Des Moines that has several offerings from Orphan Barrel. It's the first time I've seen it on a menu. Looking forward to trying it soon.