Has anyone heard rumors about Hickory Park closing ?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
HP's baby back ribs are good, not saying they are the best (I've had better) but they are good.

The ribs may be "good", but the brisket is like shoe leather. I have found everything there to be overcooked and dry by a little to a lot depending on what you order.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
On another note I wish they would bring back the beef ribs now that beef prices have gone back down. Not many places with good beef ribs.

Does anywhere in central iowa do good beef ribs. Beef Ribs at the Salt Lick in Austin are the greatest bbq ever. I'd love to get something even close around here.

I want to try smoking them myself but working my way up to it.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Does anywhere in central iowa do good beef ribs. Beef Ribs at the Salt Lick in Austin are the greatest bbq ever. I'd love to get something even close around here.

Not that I know of, but I haven't really looked that hard tbh.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I've bought frozen beef ribs from the ISU meat lab. They do cut them down the center to halve them. Turned out well on the smoker, tasted like a tender roast.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
This ^^^^^

Easier for students to borrow money than work while in school
Not just healthcare regulations, there are many other new employment regulations in the last 7 years
I am pretty sure the good serve staff makes more than $15 an hour in a busy restaurant like HP, not sure how tips are spread out to none serve staff

Don't know if it is still this way but when I was a cook there when I was at school, cooks made 8-9 $/hr. The wait staff made something like 3.50/hr plus tips. During slow times they made hardly any in tips however Friday nights or weekends they would make bank

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
The ribs may be "good", but the brisket is like shoe leather. I have found everything there to be overcooked and dry by a little to a lot depending on what you order.

They don't actually serve brisket. Look at their menu, its referred to as beef. I asked about it one day and was told the use tri-tip instead. Its the piece often found connected to top sirloin by a seam of fat. Extremely lean piece of meat and best served med rare like steak. Poor substitute for brisket, beef clod would be much better.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
You are high. When you leave ISU you can find a place like Battles in whatever town/city you end up in. You will never find another Hickory Park.

Battles may have better pulled pork (saucy southerner is my least favorite at Hickory Park), but the ribs at Hickory Park are among the best I've ever had. Add in the chicken, burgers, and ice cream and it blows battles out of the water.
you take that back

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I've heard from a few different people that Hickory Park is having a hard time keeping people working there and that the owner is sick of it and might be closing it or maybe even selling it . Has anyone else heard anything about it ?

I heard the owner is a candidate to be the executive chef for the Chicago Bulls and there was a private plane flight from Ames to Chicago. Per Travis Hines, an unnamed source stated the owner was tired of being "nickel and dimed" by Ames. I wasn't able to stalk the airports, so couldn't confirm yet.

The owner of Famous Dave, who announced that his general manager left for Hickory Park, stated "I think if you look in the next few months, it would become pretty obvious. And I'll leave it at that."

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I heard the owner is a candidate to be the executive chef for the Chicago Bulls and there was a private plane flight from Ames to Chicago. Per Travis Hines, an unnamed source stated the owner was tired of being "nickel and dimed" by Ames. I wasn't able to stalk the airports, so couldn't confirm yet.

The owner of Famous Dave, who announced that his general manager left for Hickory Park, stated "I think if you look in the next few months, it would become pretty obvious. And I'll leave it at that."

B-

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I went to the new battles (battlecry) location yesterday and while more expensive than it used to be it was really good. I haven't been to hickory park in a long time but I assume it's still really busy and loud. If the current owner can't make it I'm sure someone else could.

Check out Jimmy's in Boone. I haven't been to the new Battles, but I think Jimmy's beats the old Battles, and way better service.

I still love me some HP, but more for burgers and sandwiches. It's tough to beat it if you have kids, especially if you have a group of kids or a couple families together. Odds are everyone will find something they like and the bill is not bad.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Maybe they should allow girls to wear something other than relaxed fit cargo khakis.

Seriously though, its a college town with college kids working. There is no real commitment to a long term career at HP.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I stopped by for the first time in years when back in town for a wedding last weekend. Got the combination dinner, and it pretty much tasted like cafeteria food... I knew not to get it, but I forgot as it had been so long. Ribs were decent, by far the best item on the tray. Brisket was bland (clearly presliced and left to rest), pork loin was not good, chicken was dry (I remember the chicken being good, but this wasn't), sliced turkey was okay. Sausage was good, but too rich to eat the giant portion they give you. Sides remain pedestrian and cafeteria-like. Prices are incredible though.

I blame my selection (no room for ice cream!), and realize I should have gotten the ribs and chicken only... Sadly, nearly every bbq joint I've gone to since (I tend to only go to good ones) has been far better than HP...

I'll probably still keep going every now and then, but if Battles is an option, I'd head there first...

Meanwhile, GPP remains amazing in its own way. My kids had it for the first time and called it the "Pizza of cheese!" In fact, they chanted it for 30 seconds.

Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Are you really that bored with life that you have to be criticizing the title ..... People like that is why posting stuff is just not that fun anymore .....

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

'Name only' thread titles without leading to what the thread is actually about is not only misleading and unclear but basically imo is just click bait, which is annoying.

Haven't been to Hickory Park for years but it's a staple. I feel like I've read about other places in Ames opening up that are more interesting/better.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Check out Jimmy's in Boone. I haven't been to the new Battles, but I think Jimmy's beats the old Battles, and way better service.

I still love me some HP, but more for burgers and sandwiches. It's tough to beat it if you have kids, especially if you have a group of kids or a couple families together. Odds are everyone will find something they like and the bill is not bad.

Just ate at Jimmy's for the second time last week. After serving our meals, the waitress returned for what I thought would be the obligatory, "how is everything?" Nope ... seh left our ticket and asked if we wanted a box. The table wasn't clean, and no utensils were given ... we had to ask. So as far as service ... not the best. The food was not as good as Hickory Park's either.

Sorry, Jimmy's ... but it's the truth.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Exactly. I've heard this over and over. "Any ideas on how I can find good employees?" The answer is simple, and universal: pay them more. Supply and demand.

A crappy employee that makes $10/hr is still a crappy employee if they make $15/hr. Money doesn't make people better employees.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
A crappy employee that makes $10/hr is still a crappy employee if they make $15/hr. Money doesn't make people better employees.

Well first you fire the crappy ones and hire good ones whether at 10 or 15. Money doesn't make employees better but it does do a decent job at retaining employees.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My niece worked as a server at Hickory Park during college. Seemed to enjoy it a lot and grew to be good friends with the other servers. One thing that amazed me was that she was in training for at least a week in the summer, might have been two. Just seemed crazy because every waitress job I ever had, they just threw you into it. She was paid during training, so if you lose staff that is probably an expensive proposition.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron