One Dead in I-35 Accident near Ankeny

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Im from Boone and GTFO ASAP after high school. Hell I barely go there to visit family.

Do we know the name of said Boone man?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Im from Boone and GTFO ASAP after high school. Hell I barely go there to visit family.

Do we know the name of said Boone man?

Ankeny PD released it in their news conference, but I dont remember it right off the top of my head. The guy was 30, IIRC.

Edit: Person killed was 30 year old Alexander Koch of Ankeny. Driver of truck (who fled) was 45 year old William Phipps.

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
ankeny is a nightmare to drive through.

Sounds like an unusual way to get a traffic death (consecutive rear end collisions)

also, this part made me laugh

Shortly after the first collision, a second crash happened on the northbound side of I-35 near Exit 92 around 7:30 a.m.. Kroska said the driver rear-ended a vehicle after being distracted by the accident on the other side of the highway. No injuries were reported.

damn rubberneckers

The top of the vehicle looks shorn off. Is that because they had to cut the crash victim out?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Driver who fled was drunk, was barred from driving, and from Boone. He is being charged with his 3rd OWI. He rear ended the car where the fatality (to the passenger) occurred.
That won't bode well.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I was driving through the work zone last night when cars entered the one drive lane without even looking. I am surprised there weren't more accidents. Traffic was going 35 at the time.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Ankeny PD released it in their news conference, but I dont remember it right off the top of my head. The guy was 30, IIRC.

Edit: Person killed was 30 year old Alexander Koch of Ankeny. Driver of truck (who fled) was 45 year old William Phipps.

Thanks Chuck. Last name sounds vaguely familiar but I have been out of B-town almost 20 years.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The top of the vehicle looks shorn off. Is that because they had to cut the crash victim out?

Good question. I've see lots of these sorts of accidents in Chicago, but never seen a roof shorn off. Cutting it off makes sense. It is hard to imagine a car that passed the government safety requirements ripping off like that.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
3rd offense, and there was a fatality... IMO, one offense is bad enough. If you have a second its clear you aren't fit to drive and need some significant time "away." There should not be 3rd offenses IMO. (I know he didn't have a license, but that doesn't obviously stop people from driving). Prison would.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Good question. I've see lots of these sorts of accidents in Chicago, but never seen a roof shorn off. Cutting it off makes sense. It is hard to imagine a car that passed the government safety requirements ripping off like that.

The reports this morning were that they needed to use the jaws of life to extract people.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
that time a day though? My guess is no license, insurance, or had warrants out for them.

For those who are serious alcoholics, (like the type on multiple DUIs like this one) alcohol isnt just an 'at night' thing.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The reports this morning were that they needed to use the jaws of life to extract people.

Too keep a massive long story short, I witnessed a gruesome accident once, and helped with the jaws of life on HWY 30. You've got to be quick with that thing.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
They need ignition interlocks on everyone who gets convicted of drunk driving.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
For those who are serious alcoholics, (like the type on multiple DUIs like this one) alcohol isnt just an 'at night' thing.

I know people who work night shifts that go out with coworkers for a few drinks after getting off in the morning. They aren't getting hammered and then driving home, but early morning is the equivalent to evening for some people.

They need ignition interlocks on everyone who gets convicted of drunk driving.

I agree, honestly can't think of any reason not to require it. Make them pay for it, and if they don't want to they can take the bus.

acody

Nov 25, 2006

45 year old driving drunk at 6:00 AM. That man has some off the chart serious problems.

Help Support Us

Become a patron