Geniuses/Engineers of CF, is a huge Water Cyclone possible?

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
It's been a couple of weeks since the two Jack Trice-related ISU rebrand stories popped up on our site. One of the proposed ideas was to have an ISU Museum possibly located in the north end zone of Jack Trice with a giant window displaying a manmade tornado effect (a la Mercedes Benz museum), visible to the crowd and national TV audience:

[video=youtube;DvK8D0VNumQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvK8D0VNumQ[/video]

Browsing the internets today, I came across this water fountain thing on Imgur. File is too big to embed, so CLICKY HERE to see the .gifv file. Here's a still image:

attachment.php

Random thoughts: Has anyone priced a five-story aquarium recently? Could animals swim around in that safely? I wonder how long it would take to get this movement up to speed if moving a large amount of volume. Would the power requirements be cost prohibitive and what else am I missing here?

Imagine an end zone with an actual Cyclone spinning--talk about something unique and a great way to stand out from other schools by burnishing the SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY parts of the ISU seal.

Attachments

• Unknown.png
    Unknown.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
http://www.moviemagicnow.com/#!create-a-tornado/crlx4[video]http://www.moviemagicnow.com/#!create-a-tornado/crlx4[/video]

This is what we need. That would be sweet.

Even has the how to build it (on a much bigger sCale of course). Throw a long horn, a Jayhawk, herKY mascot, or could just change it out each week that would be oregonesque!
Put a lcd screen behind it for lightning. Could turn it on flashing with sirens after a touchdown would be sweet after touch downs and in pre game!

Last edited:

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
One with a fan in the ceiling and dry ice in the floor that you can walk through wouldn't be bad either. Might cause some issues for the ladies though.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Random thoughts: Has anyone priced a five-story aquarium recently?

I'll try running this by my HOA. They get a little surly about people putting free-standing sheds in their backyard for lawn equipment, but they may let this slide.

Edit: I know this was addressed to geniuses and engineers, but I posted anyway.

Last edited:

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
It would have to be so well done to not be a laughingstock/super cheesy. Or else it would be like the Marlins Home Run thing

sculp.gif

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
We can't even afford a press box.
Have ti give the press a reason to come. If you build it they will come, hence new projects order:
1. 50 foot vortex aka "water cyclone"
2. Press box
3. Giant cyclone slide out of pressbox.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
This would be cool to have in Hilton or the Sukup Endzone (maybe both and get a deal).

I'm not an aquarium architect, but I have stayed at a holiday in.

Attachments

• TerribleAquaDrawing.jpg
    TerribleAquaDrawing.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 49

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
This would be cool to have in Hilton or the Sukup Endzone (maybe both and get a deal).

I'm not an aquarium architect, but I have stayed at a holiday in.

Wouldn't have to be huge, a mere 1 story high would suffice. Something alumni and kids could enjoy. Would get a lot of pub for any broadcasted sporting event. Could also have a few 'special' fish sort of like lancelot and elaine...

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Last time I priced them, it was roughly $1 Mil a pop. I was going to have 10 put in my backyard but opted to go with the private island instead.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Based on thread title, I disqualify myself from commenting.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
If we're going to put fish in it could they be sharks so it's a sharknado?

Could even get some with freaking laser beams.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron