Nikki Moody sues Bill Fennelly over Racial Discrimination...

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
So you really believe that this coach would not contact his friend who had coached this player for 4 years to check on his thoughts on the player prior to drafting her, but would immediately dismiss the player after the draft when that friend asked him to do it, making himself look like an idiot for drafting her in the first place. Yeah, I'm sure that is what must have happened.

And then get NO interest from any other team in the league.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
I may not have to advise top girls basketball players in SD that they do not want to play for that guy anymore. I contacted the coach of one player, and soon found out that she already knew enough to not consider it.

Edit: For those that are adding to my comment, I did not say there are a lot of D1 players from SD, I did not say I contact every player. If I heard of a D1 recruit that was possibly considering ISU, I would try to let them know. Has been only one so far.

For the long time Women's Basketball followers I can name 2 players from SD without much thought, Holly Bordewyk and Alexis Yackley. I remember this posters name and think this guy may have had ties to Yackley who transfered out after 1 year or it may have been ties to Anna Prins.

Last edited:

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
So you really believe that this coach would not contact his friend who had coached this player for 4 years to check on his thoughts on the player prior to drafting her, but would immediately dismiss the player after the draft when that friend asked him to do it, making himself look like an idiot for drafting her in the first place. Yeah, I'm sure that is what must have happened.

Did I say that? I just said it was plausible that fennelly initially said she was a great player albeit with an attitude. Then when she filed the eeo complaint he told his friend (not asked for retribution) and maybe and only if she was truly on the bubble with another player that played a factor into her being cut as a risk issue not a retribution issue. I highly doubt CBF would ask him to cut her because of it nor do I think he would do it if asked. I do think it is plausible it could have played a small factor in a decision to retain her, unlikely but plausable.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Right, the same coach and friend who no doubt had contact with BF before he drafted her in the first place. I'm sure a professional team would waste a draft pick just to do a collage coach a personal "grduge" favor.

I was somewhat surprised she was drafted. I would have been shocked if she had not been cut. In addition to the current year draftees the teams have big tryouts with past year draftees and overseas players. Anyone outside the first rounds is going to have a very tough time making these rosters. Moody and another guard were cut the same day that San Antonio signed Brittany Hrynko (a #19 pick that had been waived by Atlanta earlier). Hrynko didn't make the regular season roster either.

Last edited:

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
BF has been at ISU long enough for almost anyone to know his coaching style. Bob Knight was mentioned earlier - was there a kid in America who didn't know how badly he was going to be abused at Indiana? And yet lots of kids went there, and even more wanted to, because they knew 2 things: Knight would make them the best player they could be, and he genuinely cared about them.

I would argue Fennelly has those same characteristics. I believe he really does care about molding these girls into better people, and basketball is just a means of doing that. The feedback thus far is overwhelmingly in BF's favor.

And as for the poster(s) who said nothing good could come of this, I disagree.....if in fact BF is racist, or abusive, then a change would be a good thing. And if he's not, well, labels are tough, but I would imagine Bill is even tougher.

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
I would actually think getting cut from the WNBA could improve her financial situation if she has her degree.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Right, the same coach and friend who no doubt had contact with BF before he drafted her in the first place. I'm sure a professional team would waste a draft pick just to do a collage coach a personal "grduge" favor.

CBF is a great collage coach. I made this collage of him yelling slurs... not racial ones. So a collage of a college coach yelling slurs.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fennelly.jpg
    Fennelly.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 889

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
True. Unfortunately, this is usually driven by insurance companies, on the basis of it being cheaper to settle than to have a prolonged litigation. Many times defendants who want to fight are "encouraged" to settle in order to save money. Not sure in this case if a loss would mean an insurance company paying, or the University/tax payers.
So a million for Bubu and 300k for Nikki. At least we have MC and SP.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Brynn Williamson is such a mature, thoughtful, well-spoken young woman. I really trust her opinion on this more than anyone else, and her statement more than anything else confirms to me that this was a Fennelly/Moody issue - NOT a Fennelly/black athletes issue.

Last edited:

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
Some quick, general takes from the legal perspective -

- Fielder and Timmer is an excellent law firm. Quite possibly the best in the state at what they do. That doesn't mean that this case is good or bad, but Nikki will have as good of representation as possible. Also, they are likely getting paid on a contingency or % basis which means they think there is a good enough chance to get paid here that they are willing to risk not getting paid at all.

- The right to sue or ability to sue letter from the Civil Right Commission is standard fare and should not be interpreted as a validation of any claims.

- While it's of course about money, I doubt that either Nikki or her attorneys thought there was any realistic possibility that a settlement would occur without a lawsuit being filed, depositions being taken and, potentially a full trial. This isn't about getting a bluff called or thinking they could just write a couple of letters and get paid. Again, doesn't mean they're right, but don't think that they expected to get any sort of offer at this point. When the attorney signed on, they did it for the long haul.

- These types of cases are tough in general. To show that you were treated differently, because of race, and that that treatment lead to _______ in damages rather than something else is a tough mountain to climb. But again, this isn't a bad law firm and they've obviously thought of that and they're going to have more evidence than just Nikki going up there and saying what is written in the lawsuit.

Just close the thread after this explanation. There isn't all that much you need know other than this. My experience is that juries don't need actual damages in these cases. They don't like mean people or bullies. Also the fear of fee switching looms terribly to the extent its available. That means that 1% liability can make you pay the actual attorney's fees of the plaintiff. If the plaintiff gets 1 penny, F&T will collect a huge payday. I haven't reviewed it enough to know whether that's available yet or not honestly. F&T can run up a good bill. They are good at that. That being said. I don't know if the state has employment practices liability insurance, but in my experience that's what leads to settling these cases. Insurance companies get antsy, and jerk it out of your hands and pay. That's how my last one with F&T ended.

I did this work on the company side for nearly 14 years. Thank God I don't anymore. I have had good and bad cases with Fiedler and Timmons. The firm is as good as they come at this type of work. (Think Alfredo Parrish on the criminal side). It doesn't mean they have the facts to win but in my experience they don't chase little cases either. They can be and are picky about what they take so they believe they have a valuable case. They also know how to play work the media as well. Remember it's not about truth either. They are interested in painting a picture of a rabid racist using a handful of situations that easily could be taken completely out of context (or not) or that may or may not be supported by any corroborating evidence. All they have to do is to throw out the allegation and watch it burn. For me it was more like they just ran around the house lighting small fires, so you spent your time running around trying to put them out. However, when I trained on this topic, I always told my managers that even if they describe a situation grossly out of context, if it happened and your response on the stand is "yes but..." or you have to explain what the real context was around the conversation then you have lost, and you just don't know it yet. If you have to say "yes we banned her from the facility because... and no we never banned anyone else..." that's a problem, no matter how much she may have deserved it.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Again, the coach would be stupid to cut her because of the suit. He'd open up his team to getting sued as well.

If anything, I would suspect Fennelly was instrumental in San Antonio deciding to draft her. Then she was on her own to stick with the team. Success of his players in the WNBA reflects on the college coach with future recruiting. It behooves the coach to work to get his players a shot.

What will be interesting is where Brynn Williamson sides in this.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If anything, I would suspect Fennelly was instrumental in San Antonio deciding to draft her. Then she was on her own to stick with the team. Success of his players in the WNBA reflects on the college coach with future recruiting. It behooves the coach to work to get his players a shot.

Her quotes on Twitter or something make it seem like she sides with BF.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

She's already spoken out in support of coach I believe. I think someone posted a link earlier.