Blaze Pizza

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Their website says their oven is hot enough to finish the pizza in 3 minutes

I think that's about right. Time over that is just waiting if there are already too many pizzas in the oven.

So is this one going to be down by Principal Park/Science Center? That would be great location for one of these. A little more kid friendly than some of the other places in that part of town.

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
I think that's about right. Time over that is just waiting if there are already too many pizzas in the oven.

So is this one going to be down by Principal Park/Science Center? That would be great location for one of these. A little more kid friendly than some of the other places in that part of town.

Yes, it's in the building at the corner of MLK and SW 3rd which is also home to Fuzzy's Tacos, Guru BBQ, and 300 Craft and Rooftop. Just NW of Principal Park.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Same as Fired Pie in Arizona. Love that place. So much that I thought about bringing it to town. But definitely not going to try and compete with this franchise.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Their website says their oven is hot enough to finish the pizza in 3 minutes
A real pizza oven should be about 900 F and cook a pizza in about 3 minutes. That's why they are so freaking hot when you get them.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I would say ours took about five minutes. I suppose it depends on how busy they are.

I'd hope that time in the oven is not dependent upon the busyness of the counter ...

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
There was a Pizza Rev in place in a strip mall when we moved from St. Paul to Minneapolis a year and a half ago. A year later, Blaze opened within eyesight of the Pizza Rev. Pretty bummed as I was hoping for something different. They are almost identical. Sad thing was is that the Five Guys was located next door to pizza rev, and when Blaze opened, they also opened a smashburger right next door... So we can get a lot of pizza and burgers in our neck of the woods I guess...

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
There are a billion different chains of this kinda concept in SoCal.

KAGAVI INSIDER TIP: Our favorite is by far 800 Degrees. Only a few spots around Los Angeles. Two in Vegas now and Evanston, Illinois just opened. That's it--unless you count the handful in Dubai and Japan.

Nick

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2006
There's a bunch of Blaze locations in the Chicago area, along with 2 others, as people have mentioned: Pie Five, and MOD Pizza. Blaze and MOD are both fantastic - Pie Five is not very good.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Sounds like a good get.

This 300 MLK (Old Brewery) Building seems to be attracting a lot of business...and this Blaze will only add to the foot traffic. I was thinking it would take nice weather/games at Principal Park for people to find this place, but all the businesses seem to be humming along already. A lot of great patio space with many of these too....should be hopping this summer!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Blaze is pretty solid, and I'm a pizza snob who has had the best pizza in Naples, Rome, Florence, NYC, and Chicago.

I first had it about two years ago and thought the chain would be a guaranteed success. It's doubtful you could find a better pizza for 7-8 bucks.

Living in a bad pizza city like LA now...Blaze is actually above average quite easily and for a fraction of the price.

There are about an equal number of Pizza Rev and Blaze in LA. In my opinion Blaze is a ton better for people who like real pizza. The crust at Blaze is actually similar to the crust of a real restaurant pizza in Italy, or at least shockingly similar for what is basically fast food prices.

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
..and the best thing about Blaze, you never have to order a double!!

huh...wha??? Oh....nevermind. I guess we're talking about a different place.

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Where is this going to be in the 300 MLK building? I thought it was already full with Jimmy John's, Guru BBQ, Fuzzy's Tacos, Anytime Fitness, and 300 Craft & Rooftop.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The empty bay "behind" (i.e...west of) Fuzzy's.

There is another empty spot between Guru and Fuzzy's (facing 3rd) but it looks like work is being done on that spot too so something must be going there too.

Help Support Us

Become a patron