Who do you want to avoid in the first two rounds?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Those 2 giants at Purdue scare me for a round 2 matchup.... Only as I see us getting in foul trouble...

They are about the most underutilized and/or under agressive 7 footers that I've ever seen. They don't want to dominate. I have no problem playing Purdue.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Hines who is not at all an Iowa State apologist, is a lot higher on this team that most of us are. I consider that a good sign.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Who do we want to avoid?
Eades, Higgins and O'Neill.

Last edited:

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
Just so we're clear, you understand you're talking about the winning 3 year stretch of basketball in the modern history of ISU, right? Since 1980, ISU has NEVER won more games in a 3 year span than they have in 2014, 2015 and 2016. That's both for the overall schedule and just the conference schedule. The only three year span in the same realm of productivity includes the 2000 and 2001 seasons, which were bookended with 15-15 and 12-19 seasons. So you're complaining about the best 3 year run of basketball any of us have ever lived through. If you expand it to 4 or 5 seasons, our current run looks even better.

Oh, I see. "Just so we're clear" then.

I'm happy with "just so we're clear." In fact, in fact, I'm delighted with clarity.

You're OK with NEVER making a Final Four. With only one Elite Eight appearance.
And you're "clear" with Iowa State basketball simply comparing itself against its own accomplishments, instead of, say...oh, I don't know, Kansas'.

That's a very convenient way to calibrate one's accomplishments.
It would be interesting if, every November, ever ISU fan were asked whether that way of being being clear was satisfactory to them.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
As we await Selection Sunday, who are the teams you've watched this year that we wouldn't match up well against in the first two rounds? North Carolina and Kentucky are the top two I want to avoid. Gonzaga is a sleeper with good bigs that would give us fits too, I think.

Any team that plays like Michigan St, Wisconsin or West Virginia. The refs almost always favor that style of play in the NCAA Tournament.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Oh, I see. "Just so we're clear" then.

I'm happy with "just so we're clear." In fact, in fact, I'm delighted with clarity.

You're OK with NEVER making a Final Four. With only one Elite Eight appearance.
And you're "clear" with Iowa State basketball simply comparing itself against its own accomplishments, instead of, say...oh, I don't know, Kansas'.

That's a very convenient way to calibrate one's accomplishments.
It would be interesting if, every November, ever ISU fan were asked whether that way of being being clear was satisfactory to them.

Feel free to show me where I said I don't want ISU to get to a Final Four.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
That woman with an adam's apple that has been following me around.

X0GbSeY.jpg

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
CF BREAKING NEWS: KU IS A "BOTTOMFEEDER". Lol.

Reading fail. The home win over KU isn't recent. Things have changed alot since then. The road games with WVU and KU were just moral victories, those are worthless in March. Looking good against OSU and KSU in Ames doesn't prove much. Been a long time since we beat a tourney team away from home, let alone two back to back.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
I don't know about "who I want to avoid playing"
But I'd like nothing more than playing Michigan St. somewhere closer to home, than in their backyard!
I hate them more than anything!!

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Reading fail. The home win over KU isn't recent. Things have changed alot since then. The road games with WVU and KU were just moral victories, those are worthless in March. Looking good against OSU and KSU in Ames doesn't prove much. Been a long time since we beat a tourney team away from home, let alone two back to back.

MW-DF380_bubble_ZG_20150211161118.jpg

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
Just so we're clear, you understand you're talking about the winning 3 year stretch of basketball in the modern history of ISU, right? Since 1980, ISU has NEVER won more games in a 3 year span than they have in 2014, 2015 and 2016. That's both for the overall schedule and just the conference schedule. The only three year span in the same realm of productivity includes the 2000 and 2001 seasons, which were bookended with 15-15 and 12-19 seasons. So you're complaining about the best 3 year run of basketball any of us have ever lived through. If you expand it to 4 or 5 seasons, our current run looks even better.

Not to be too nitpicky, but our record in 2013, 2014, and 2015 is a better 3 year run than 2014, 2015, and 2016. it is definitely the best 4 year run in our history.

Kinda amazing/frustrating that Georges worst w/l record will be his senior year, unless we make it to the elite 8 this year of course :)