Cincy and the Big 12

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I think if they did this split they would not put Oklahoma and Texas in the same division, they'd be the crossover rival though. Even with Texas down, they're a money maker and the conference is going to want OK/Texas in the football championship game every year.

It was rumored a while back that OU and UT did not want to be in opposite divisions because they didn't want to play twice in one year. I think that was from Chip Brown or Orangebloods but I could be wrong.

My point is more that I see two Texas schools in each division if the Big 12 expanded to 12.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
A double round-robin in a 12 school league would push conference play back before Christmas. That's 22 conference games. If you count backwards on ISU's schedule this year and see where conference play would need to start to fit in 22 games, it would be December 19 (the equivalent of the UNI game this season).

I imagine the 18 game schedule would stay in a 12 team league. Play everyone once and 7 of the 11 other teams twice. Maybe each school designates 2-3 conference opponents to play twice each season as protected annual home-and-homes.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Cincinnati and UCONN is making more sense to me than Memphis, which adds nothing beyond location. UCONN get a flagship, AAU school with a rich basketball tradition. It also is a nice fit for WVU and the Bearcats, if they're chosen.

North
UCONN
WVU
Cincinnati
ISU
Ku
K-State

South
OU
oSu
UT
TT
BU
TCU

or maybe, and I really don't like this at all ...

East
UCONN
WVU
Cincinatti
OU
oSu
TCU

West
BU
TT
UT
Ku
ISU
K-State

Last edited:

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I like your arrangement better. For football though I dont know if they would put all that power in the same division. Man what a Royal Rumble that would be.

No different then now or the SEC. I am sure SOS will be a factor. Plus then they get an "easier" conference championship.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Cincinnati and UCONN is making more sense to me than Memphis, which adds nothing beyond location. UCONN get a flagship, AAU school with a rich basketball tradition. It also is a nice fit for WVU and the Bearcats, if they're chosen.

North
UCONN
WVU
Cincinnati
ISU
Ku
K-State

South
OU
oSu
UT
TT
BU
TCU

East
UCONN
WVU
Cincinatti
OU
oSu
TCU

West
BU
TT
UT
Ku
ISU
K-State

They aren't AAU. If we want AAU the best available are Tulane and Rice.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

North
UCONN
WVU
Cincinnati
ISU
Ku
K-State

South
OU
oSu
UT
TT
BU
TCU

East
UCONN
WVU
Cincinatti
OU
oSu
TCU

West
BU
TT
UT
Ku
ISU
K-State

Memphis has fedex money and can bring the facilities, plus location is a lot better

They have had basketball history and football has been a lot better.

Cincy and Memphis would be a good group

TheBigAwesome

Jun 5, 2012
Conference expansion is about TV Markets, Conference Networks, and the TV Money generated for its members. Nothing more.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Really hope we dont bring BYU to the Big 12. But this would still work if we added Cincy and Memphis.

North
ISU
KU
KSU
OU
OSU
Cincy

South
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Memphis
West Virginia

I'd go east/west for divisions if Cincy and Memphis were added:

East Division

ISU
WVU
UC
UM
KU
KSU

West Division

UT
TT
TCU
OU
OSU
BU

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Memphis is not in the same league with UCONN as far as athletics, particularly basketball. Anyone suggesting that is smoking bad hemp. A city/commuter/small market school versus a flagship championship program in the northeast. This isn't even close.

NCAA Championships
11 -- UCLA
8 -- Kentucky
5 -- Indiana
5 -- North Carolina
4 -- Connecticut
4 -- Duke

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
All UConn needs is a 10 win football season and they'd be the Big 12 frontrunner. If UConn had the season that Houston just had, they'd already have an invitation.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'd go east/west for divisions if Cincy and Memphis were added:

East Division

ISU
WVU
UC
UM
KU
KSU

West Division

UT
TT
TCU
OU
OSU
BU

I honestly think, in this scenario, that the conference would split up the four TX schools into separate divisions. Keep BU and TCU together for their rivalry and then have UT and TTU in the other division.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Conference expansion is about TV Markets, Conference Networks, and the TV Money generated for its members. Nothing more.
Not anymore. With the new model we are seeing for television actual viewers are going to be more important.
Memphis is not in the same league with UCONN as far as athletics, particularly basketball. Anyone suggesting that is smoking bad hemp. A city/commuter/small market school versus a flagship championship program in the northeast. This isn't even close.

NCAA Championships
11 -- UCLA
8 -- Kentucky
5 -- Indiana
5 -- North Carolina
4 -- Connecticut
4 -- Duke
UConn has had more success, but they have also been in better conferences. I think they are both pretty equal, but Memphis is a better fit geographically.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
So:

Baylor
Cincy
ISU
Memphis
TCU
WVU

KU
KSU
OU
OSU
TEXA$
TECH

?

It would suck to not be in a division with KU and KSU, but I think that might be what would happen. Then both divisions would be guaranteed games with TX schools every year. You keep the OK and the KS schools together too.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

NCAA Championships
11 -- UCLA
8 -- Kentucky
5 -- Indiana
5 -- North Carolina
4 -- Connecticut
4 -- Duke

Agree, if the B12 expands (and I hope they don’t), UConn and BYU are the no-brainer choices over anyone from the commuter school conglomerate of Cincy, Memphis, Houston, USF and UCF.
My strong preference would be BYU for football only and UConn as a full member. You would get the “Extra Data Point” for FB (which I think is bogus anyway) and the B12 could then maintain the double round robin in BB with a 20 game schedule (replace the SEC game and play a game between Xmas and New Year’s like the B10 does). UConn is a state flagship school and provides the academic profile that the Presidents want and the TV markets to possibly make a conference network viable. I get the impression that BYU likes their WCC affiliation and is a better fit to remain there for everything except FB plus the eyeballs and academic profile they bring dwarfs that of the commuter school conglomerate.

Last edited: