So much respect for Ben Jacobson

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
I don't know that he's done that bad of a job this year. They were expected to be down a bit this year. If nothing else, the big wins they've had this year were an aberration. They were picked to finish 3rd in the MVC after losing 3 starters, including the MVC POY. They're 1 game out of 3rd place. About what was expected.

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
As 88clone just said, I'm not sure I'd say UNI is underachieving this season. Coming into the year they were projected to finish 3rd. Right now they're a game out of 3rd place and 2 games out of 2nd place with 4 games remaining. Back in October I figured UNI would win 20 games and be a bubble team for the NIT, about where they project to finish right now. In my honest opinion, they overachieved in the non-conference schedule and have underachieved in conference play (the 4-game losing streak really hurt them -- no confidence and a few nagging injuries). UNI is honestly what I expected coming into the season, except I wouldn't have guessed they'd be 3-0 against Top 25 teams and I wouldn't have guessed they'd lose at home to Loyola and on the road to Missouri State, 16-11 overall though seems about right.

Last edited:

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
If I'm the Wisconsin AD, I make a hard push to get him after this season is over.

If I was the Wisconsin AD, I'd be pretty intrigued with how Gard has turned this team around. They started 1-4 and have now won 8 in a row, just won at Maryland.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
A combination of Washpun getting drilled and hurt in Hawaii and then 4 guys so sick that they were taking fluid IVs at halftime of three games would be the reason for the 4 game skid. UNI just wasn't deep enough to overcome that.

Playing best basketball of the year right now and an MVC tournament title wouldn't be a surprise at all. The NIT seems likely without winning in StL.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Greg Gard is doing a great job already. Wisconsin AD would be an idiot to hire Jacobson over Gard.

I think Wisconsin might make a play for Tony Bennett but stick with Gard if they don't get him.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! If this make you feel better you go for it. He gives a ton of time to both the United Way and Boys and Girls Clubs.

Also, UNI doesn't have baseball, so its pretty hard to have a head coach. If you mean softball, that coach has two little girls that are probably 7 and 9. So, are you insinuating that he's a child molester?

No actually I think it's the now Iowa coach Heller , I had zero reference that it was in the last few years . It was when they still did have more than a before 2009 and the program was cut . Wasn't there some charity golf tournament too that I remember hearing that he was suppose to be one of the bigger names at and he blew it off.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hahahahahahahahaha... please. I know Ben Jacobson and his family personally, this is the most insane accusation I have ever read. I would compare it to someone saying these things about Hoiberg... simply not true.

I have to think if he was an immoral person he'd have bolted for more $$$ somewhere else long ago.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Yeah, I don't buy this at all.

I know someone that worked in the UNI AD and had nothing but nice things to say about him and this person did NOT have nice things to say about Farley.

I know a guy that coached under Farley and would say how big of a jerk he was and how bad he even treated his coaching staff.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I know a guy that coached under Farley and would say how big of a jerk he was and how bad he even treated his coaching staff.

Yep. Farley is an extreme type A that is difficult to work for. No big surprises there.

Your stuff on Jake is absolute garbage and its not even a decent attempt at a troll job.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I just figured it out. Ben Jacobson (THE PLAYER) was engaged to Heller's daughter for a while but they broke up after he went to Europe to play basketball.

Still a horrific troll job.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Yep. Farley is an extreme type A that is difficult to work for. No big surprises there.

Your stuff on Jake is absolute garbage and its not even a decent attempt at a troll job.

lolol I don't even get what you mean or why your saying by I'm "trolling" lol just heard it from a bunch of different people up there . It's not something that I heard from one guy that doesn't like him or something like that . I'm not close to the program up there or actually care other about what they have going on up there. I just heard it from people up there that are not the type that talk about that stuff just to say random crap. Sorry I ****** in your Cheerios . Obviously you thinks he's great , good for you. I was just stating what seemed to have some truth behind it from the sources that have talked about it and told me various things about him over the years. Hopefully you have a better monday now that he like calling people out for what they have heard . So yeah I still have no personal respect for the guy sorry.