Which Big 12 contender has the easiest remaining schedule?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The big 12 is too good this year to say OU can't drop a couple games to middle of the pack like ISU and KU already have.

I agree they're the favorite, but it's by a pretty small margin.
True, but I bet KU loses a couple more road games in the Big 12.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
As others have noted, OU is capable of turning in a stinker here or there. They remind me a LOT of ISU 2 years ago. If they are shooting well, they are fearsome, but if not, they are vulnerable. They could certainly lose a game or two vs one of the mid-tier teams on the road.

That said, I would rather be in their position than ours, schedule-wise.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
True, but I bet KU loses a couple more road games in the Big 12.

They could. Its just that I can think of KU struggling at some point in a season, only to see them turn it on and go on a tear. They have players, and the best coach in the league.

Dec 29, 2015
I still don't understand why the regular season is the big deal. The Big 12 tourney determines the champion. Only the winner gets an automatic bid to the NCAAs. Who remembers the NCAA team that had the best record going into the dance? Is there even a regular season trophy? Win the tourney. That is what really matters.

Uh no. 1 weekend event where the champ only plays 3 of the 9 other teams in the conference. Or a an entire season worth of playing 2 games against each. You are right, they tourney champ does give someone the auto bid, but it is FAR FAR FAR less important.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
If OU beats KU in Norman, I think they'll win the title. If KU wins that game, I think they tie for the title.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Very true, and they did just that last year.

They have done it almost every year. I recall a 3 game skid a few years back including their last home loss, and they still only lost 4* conference games that season.

*It was a ******* charge Smith

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013
I'm also in the camp that the regular season title is overrated. Yes, it would be nice to win obviously, but if the tournament is not as as important, then why does the tournament winner get the automatic bid? The tournament winner also gets the trophy, and each team member gets the all important ring.

Also, is there any other sport, college or pro, that puts so much emphasis on winning the regular season? The Golden State Warriors aren't getting the regular season title this year and neither are the Carolina Panthers. Because there isn't one.

In my opinion, KU is the Peyton Manning of the Big 12. That doesn't make their streak of 11 straight regular season titles any less impressive.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I'm also in the camp that the regular season title is overrated. Yes, it would be nice to win obviously, but if the tournament is not as as important, then why does the tournament winner get the automatic bid? The tournament winner also gets the trophy, and each team member gets the all important ring.

Also, is there any other sport, college or pro, that puts so much emphasis on winning the regular season? The Golden State Warriors aren't getting the regular season title this year and neither are the Carolina Panthers. Because there isn't one.

In my opinion, KU is the Peyton Manning of the Big 12. That doesn't make their streak of 11 straight regular season titles any less impressive.

To make both the conference tournaments and the NCAA tournament more exciting. It's entertainment, after all.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
What a day. People arguing that the Big 12 regular season is more important than NCAA Tourney. And that Big 12 Tourney is more important than B12 regular season.

So in conclusion:
Big 12 Tourney > Big 12 Regular Season > NCAA Tourney

ISU was the best team in the country the last 2 years then!

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I still don't understand why the regular season is the big deal. The Big 12 tourney determines the champion. Only the winner gets an automatic bid to the NCAAs. Who remembers the NCAA team that had the best record going into the dance? Is there even a regular season trophy? Win the tourney. That is what really matters.
YES! I don't understand why they bother to keep score in the non-conference either. It doesn't really matter who wins those games.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

The tournament winner getting an automatic bid is really more for the benefit of the mid-majors in the world. There are very few times where the winner of a power conference tournament wasn't getting into the tournament regardless. For the power conferences, the tournaments really just help/hurt their case in the seeding for the big dance. They also provide bubble teams one last shot of proving their case.

In response to your question about another sport being concerned with winning the regular season, the answer is no. But that is because no other sport has a tournament after the regular season where a loss doesn't end the year. Every other sport jumps into the playoffs (or a bowl) and losing a game/series means your season is done.

Again, I'm not bashing on the conference tourneys at all. I've been to several in the past and will be at Sprint again this year. They are a blast and we represent with fan support and success on the court. In the end, they are really just another stepping stone towards the bigger prize. And the results from the regular conference season have a much bigger effect on what seed you get in that tourney.

But I ******* still love winning the tournament!

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Saw this on a KU message board and gives the Conference %'s per Ken Palm. No suprise that OU is the heavy favorite. Alot can happen and there'll be some unexpected game results but it is a good snapshot of where the league stands going into Feb.
http://cjonline.com/blog-post/jesse-newell/2016-01-26/kus-odds-win-big-12-not-good

Advanced stats expert Ken Pomeroy to run the numbers Tuesday morning. Here is the likelihood that each Big 12 team wins or shares the conference title, based on 10,000 simulations.
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2010.34.58%20AM.png

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
I know people are in the "I just want KU to lose" boat but I would honestly rather have them continue to win it unless we personally knock them off. I know that is weird to a lot of people but that's how I feel about it.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010

I'd rather win the regular season and bow out of conference tourney in the first round.

Why do mid-majors continuously upset power-5 schools? Part of the equations is b/c their conference tourneys end a week earlier and their guys get 8-10 days to rest, polish, and prepare. Power-5 schools that go deep in their tourney play 3 or even 4 games in a row, then turn around and play in the NCAA tourney about 5 days later.

Dec 29, 2015
I'd rather win the regular season and bow out of conference tourney in the first round.

Why do mid-majors continuously upset power-5 schools? Part of the equations is b/c their conference tourneys end a week earlier and their guys get 8-10 days to rest, polish, and prepare. Power-5 schools that go deep in their tourney play 3 or even 4 games in a row, then turn around and play in the NCAA tourney about 5 days later.

The fact that people are arguing that a Big 12 Regular Season Championship is less of a big deal than the tournament championship is mind blowing. Like, do you hear yourself? Think. Just think about it.

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
OU can't stay this hot.... cannot keep shooting 60% from the three point land the WHOLE Stinkin' season. There is no way he is a Steph Curry and keep making turnaround, catch and shoot three's.

As a team? It cannot keep hitting over 50% of their three's either. That is bound to come to a halt, the law of averages says so.

Once they cool down, OU will look like a normal highly rated team. Right now, they look like an NBA team out there.

They may be good shooters, but really good shooter only make low 40% of their threes.....50%, 60%, that is astronomical.

Last edited by a moderator:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
OU could still trip up at home to KU or against Texas down the line....long season.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
I'm just hoping there is something on the line when we go to Lawrence at the end of the season whether it is us vying for the title or ending KU's streak.