Is Niang tired?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think GN just knows when he needs to be GN and when he can just let the team win games. I noticed that to start the second half he took the ball at the top of the key, beat his man and made a nice little floater. Kind of like, I could do this to you all game, but my other guys need to work on their shots. I just did that to remind you of who the man is.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He had 11 points and didn't shoot very well...I just thought it looked like there was a lid on the basket for him.

Makes 2-3 more shots and a couple of 3s and it's an average game for him.

Thought that inbounds pass was basically just lack of focus, and there were signs of that in the team late, but they pulled pulled through. Probably a good thing TCU was so aggressive late...that's something ISU will need to be ready for Monday night.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
He was gassed ,no question, don't think i have seen him have such a poor game, watch out Kansas

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
Really bad officiating job on Georges yesterday, a couple bogus fouls, but some of the traveling calls were worse.

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
I was at the game right behind the bench...Georges let the ref's whistles frustrate him, nothing more....Matt also had a terrible in bounds pass, it happens.....

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
A zone might not conserve energy as a whole, but it should conserve energy for players like Georges, who teams seem to attack every time down the court with the pick and roll. I also agree that it can usually take a team out of rhythm a little.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
The zone defense is also used to protect players in foul trouble, which we had a fair amount of yesterday.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
While a zone may not conserve energy on the whole it can help to spread out the workload. A guy who is guarding Forte, for example ( except for this year) has to expend a ton of energy because he is chasing him around a dozen or more screens every possession. This can be pretty important if you aren't deep.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
This the Niang version of the Royce doesn't sweat thread.

Not at all. Different things. The entire team seemed a bit out of it at the beginning of the game yesterday, and by the end of most of their games, Georges does looked gassed. And understandably so.

The closest we've gotten was "Burton looks disinterested" in another thread -- but it didn't have it's own dedicated thread so we haven't quite gone there yet.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I was at the game right behind the bench...Georges let the ref's whistles frustrate him, nothing more....Matt also had a terrible in bounds pass, it happens.....

What was going on between Niang and the TCU coach?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
While a zone may not conserve energy on the whole it can help to spread out the workload. A guy who is guarding Forte, for example ( except for this year) has to expend a ton of energy because he is chasing him around a dozen or more screens every possession. This can be pretty important if you aren't deep.

It shouldn't.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We were dribbling the clock out and they trapped and stole the ball from Monte. It was basically hey the game is over what are you doing.

I thought I saw Niang getting a little chippy with him earlier in the game too.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
A zone absolutely conserves energy, especially for guys down low. We aren't trying to be Syracuse and go balls out. We're just hoping to stay in decent position, get the opponent out of rhythm and encourage a deep shot. Niang will have to slide 3-4 times a possession. That is MUCH easier than hedging on a pick and roll and recovering to find your man. You guys have been listening to your middle school coaches too much. A zone allows guys like Niang to take a possession off. If it was our primary defense, you might have an argument.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron