COLUMN: The Steve Prohm era has officially begun

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Great read CW. Still too pumped to sleep, so thanks for the insight.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Great write up. I know it's been said over and over, but Thomas was great tonight on defense. I've watched a lot of OU this year, and usually when Buddy wants into the lane, he gets there. Thomas was able to stay between him and the basket, without giving him room to jack up 3 after 3. Hard to believe we're giving credit for good defense on a guy that had 7 threes and 27pts, but when it's Buddy Hield, and it took him 23 shots to get there, I'll take it. For the record at least 3 of those threes came when someone besides Thomas was guarding him.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Also, crazy to think the fast break points were only 6-2. I would have never guessed that in a game between these two teams, but it's just a testament to how well these two teams know each other.

It also says a lot about Prohm's ability to coach. Kruger has the luxury of having coached and game planned against Iowa St and their players A LOT: Niang 9 times, Morris and Thomas 6 times, Nader and McKay 4 times.

Prohm has seen that explosive offense just once. Credit the players for stepping up their intensity as well.

Reactions: riceville98

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Prohm had a great game plan and the guys executed it. About the only thing I would have changed would have been to had the guys foul when Oklahoma was bringing the ball in after the Clones basket at 9 seconds. We had one to give and could have eaten up some more clock. But wow, what a wonderful game overall. If that is the only thing to complain about I'll take it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Great write up. I know it's been said over and over, but Thomas was great tonight on defense. I've watched a lot of OU this year, and usually when Buddy wants into the lane, he gets there. Thomas was able to stay between him and the basket, without giving him room to jack up 3 after 3. Hard to believe we're giving credit for good defense on a guy that had 7 threes and 27pts, but when it's Buddy Hield, and it took him 23 shots to get there, I'll take it. For the record at least 3 of those threes came when someone besides Thomas was guarding him.

Hield was just on fire last night from beyond 3. And it's not like we were playing poor defense on him - he was draining them with guys in his face, from well beyond NBA 3, and just taking advantage of us playing him over aggressively and getting an open look that way. Last night it was never "can we guard that guy?" from us fans; it was "can the guy miss a freaking shot already?" Credit to Thomas' defense. It has become one of his absolute strengths this year.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I actually thought it began somewhere during the second half run at Texas. Even though we lost that one, I sensed a change in the players' demeanor and the way they came together.

It's remarkable to me that Coach Prohm correctly identified and addressed the key issue with this team (quick shots leading to getting broken down in transition). Everyone in the world was just talking about bad defense, and I'll admit I was skeptical about his comments, but he was spot-on. We're never going to be world beaters there, but we took everything Oklahoma had to offer and still handed them the L.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Prohm is such a nice guy that he couldn't help but give but give Holberg credit last night. I wanted to tell him that it was HIS team and not Fred's that won that game last night. He's the one that wanted to be here and coach Iowa State, not Holberg.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Prohm is such a nice guy that he couldn't help but give but give Holberg credit last night. I wanted to tell him that it was HIS team and not Fred's that won that game last night. He's the one that wanted to be here and coach Iowa State, not Holberg.

You're shortening your life living with so much angry regret.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You're shortening your life living with so much angry regret.

Simmer down. I just think the poor guy has given Fred credit all year long and has compared himself to him in the media all year. He didn't need to do that last night. This is his team now and Prohm certainly wasn't blaming Fred in the media after Tuesday night.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Simmer down. I just think the poor guy has given Fred credit all year long and has compared himself to him in the media all year. He didn't need to do that last night. This is his team now and Prohm certainly wasn't blaming Fred in the media after Tuesday night.

Quoted for posterity.

Until we get upset again (which will probably happen), or we lose two in a row to any combo of teams (which will probably happen). I'm glad you said this because now maybe you can move on. I don't expect to see you on here whinging about how Fred left things and going all emo about Fred after every loss after saying this.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Quoted for posterity.

Until we get upset again (which will probably happen), or we lose two in a row to any combo of teams (which will probably happen). I'm glad you said this because now maybe you can move on. I don't expect to see you on here whinging about how Fred left things and going all emo about Fred after every loss after saying this.

Fred's team (roster), but Prohm's win.

She isn't wrong.

Last edited:

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
Prohm had a great game plan and the guys executed it. About the only thing I would have changed would have been to had the guys foul when Oklahoma was bringing the ball in after the Clones basket at 9 seconds. We had one to give and could have eaten up some more clock. But wow, what a wonderful game overall. If that is the only thing to complain about I'll take it.
I think he was yelling at Monte to do just that

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Regarding that tidbit of 3 teams in same state defeating No. 1 teams: How common/uncommon is that? Maybe it happens more frequently than it seems, maybe I don't pay attention to it, or I've not heard it mentioned that I can remember.

I can imagine it happening w/ North Carolina schools, for example ...

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I love the way we dictated the pace. If we would have been off to the races, this game would have been in the 90's easily and I'm not sure we would have enough left in the tank for that kind of game.

I think 70's to the mid-80's will be our sweet spot. Not too fast, but definitely not slow.