Time to start listening to coach

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It's time for Prohm to assert himself with this team for the sake of this team. WTS...it is ridiculous that Carter isn't getting some minutes inside. McKay can't play this many minutes all season. The reason he isn't blocking shots like last year is because he's exhausted. Losing Naz just really hurt this team. Idk..I'm upset too but we won a ton of games last year right at the end and by a basket or two. This year it's not falling. Guys we are literally a couple three pointers away from being 15-1 right now. Seriously.
It goes both ways. I'm sure this was your motto all football season.

EatemupISU

Oct 19, 2006
Ankeny
Yep...Niang bleeds for this team.

Niang and Thomas are playing their guts out.

It was always the case that this team was going to rise and fall by player leadership. You can argue whether Prohm should've been more of a tough guy from the get-go, but I don't think these guys were going to respond to that after Fred, who was the ultimate player's coach. Like it or not, this is Fred's team and we won't really get a true feel for Prohm-ball until next season.

If Monte and Jameel don't take the losing personally then we are going to flame out in dramatic fashion. It has been written about multiple times how Steve has brought Georges in almost as an assistant coach. I wonder if there is some resentment from Monte about that arrangement, because he just doesn't look bought in right now.

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa
Well I would ask the coach on why Burton was not playing the last 10 min (regulation and OT). Especially the final play, why not have 5 guys on the court that can shoot the 3 versus 4?

I think he gave Georges too much power at the very beginning by treating him like an assistant coach versus a player.

Too bad Cooke looks like a shell of himself or coach could sit Monte's butt down until he listens.

That was my thought exactly. When we need a three, why is McKay on the floor?

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I feel bad from Prohm. This season was over-hyped, starting by Hoiberg on his way out. The same Hoiberg who left nothing in the cupboard for the next few years, by the way.

By all accounts, Prohm is a good guy. And he is going to get blasted by the idiotic part of the fan base who think anything less than a Final Four this year is disappointing. Fred wouldn't have lived up to those expectations. No one could have with this team.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Prohm has point guards in the NBA, right? I don't get the disrespect for him. Maybe he fed it by letting the guys have their way on offense at the beginning of the season.

First sign of adversity and they lose control, go isolation, and quit passing. Prohm can't make them get out of it, they have to play through it.

It was nice to see Thomas taking control aka Naz in the huddles, starting some communication. He needs to step it up to Deandre Kane levels, and beat some of the others to the ball, just like he did. Naz is too nice, and it seems that Monte might be a little bullheaded about it.

clone96cr

Apr 11, 2006
Cedar Rapids
That was my thought exactly. When we need a three, why is McKay on the floor?

McKay or Burton, it doesn't matter. Niang was taking that shot, nobody else. With 3 seconds left, not enough time to find someone else even if well defended. When you need a three on the road like that, you are going to your best guy, period.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I think these players need to get together, sit down, and have a good old fashioned playas only meeting. Figure this **** out between each other. They've got a chance to do some special things, but right now, they're looking like an NIT team.

Last edited by a moderator:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Except on defense. If my wife comments on you getting constantly beat on defense and she doesn't know **** about bb then you have issues.
Why would someone that doesn't know **** about basketball be a good source of accurate analysis?

troyisu

Jan 13, 2011
Waukee
The veterans on our team have no respect for Prohm

That was evident to me after the ESPN guys commented on how Prohm and the staff wants Nader to drive to the basket and create rather than settling for mid-range jumpers. I don't know how many times these last few games I'll leave the room for a minute, come back to the room as Nader is taking a fade away 16 footer. That is terrible shot selection for him and he continues to try them at a high rate...frustrating to watch.

If that continues, I'd sit him in place of Burton. It seems Burton has the team first mentality that a few of the guys just don't right now...

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
tires-churn-300x171.png

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Prohm has point guards in the NBA, right? I don't get the disrespect for him. Maybe he fed it by letting the guys have their way on offense at the beginning of the season.

First sign of adversity and they lose control, go isolation, and quit passing. Prohm can't make them get out of it, they have to play through it.

It was nice to see Thomas taking control aka Naz in the huddles, starting some communication. He needs to step it up to Deandre Kane levels, and beat some of the others to the ball, just like he did. Naz is too nice, and it seems that Monte might be a little bullheaded about it.

Monte wasn't exactly a team-first guy last year.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Why does Nader continue to shoot threes? Especially with the score that close that late in the game. I can see if we have a huge lead.... go ahead go for it, use the time to work on it and get better, but the dude continues to threes at critical points and, aside from the cinci. game, it is killing us. It is a, damn near, 70% guaranteed turnover.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Except on defense. If my wife comments on you getting constantly beat on defense and she doesn't know **** about bb then you have issues.

The thing is that Niang can play decent defense. He did it last year against KU in the Big 12 tourney championship. The team as a whole just doesn't value defense, and in order to be successful this year, they need to value it.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
my fear is that we might be listening to coach. (insert dark ominous music)

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Just goes to show you that when teams start losing, fans start LOOKING for things to ***** about. There are plenty of legitimate things to ***** about without getting mad at Niang for his post game comments. What's he suppose to say? "We won't get it figured out" ??

Stay positive, get back in the gym, and figure out how to play team defense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron