New Defensive commit

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Just have to say that I love the intensity that this staff is showing on the recruiting trail but I can't even imagine what this board would look like if we lost a coach we loved who then took almost every person on his staff with him AND then started taking kids who were previously committed to us.
No question that he's ALL IN though!

Guessing you'll get that feeling if MC has success.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Positive because he is getting three and four star guys, not a bunch of 2s like Rhoads, Rhodes, or Rhoades.

Where's the 4 star guys? I said this before but last years class had 4 guys that were rated higher than anyone we have coming in right now. That's not to say this staff isn't doing a great job; it's just to say the negative attitude clouded everyone's judgement on the types of guy the last staff was getting.

Toledo got in him early and had he not flipped Tennessee and others would have pressed. He was pretty committed to cambell and co. Scouts midwest analyst said he is the steal of the class.

I realize that and it's great but everyone acts like it's new and it's not. These are the guys that ISU has to get and I happen to think there is a bunch of them on the current roster. This is a Reggan Northrup or KCM type of recruit.

I hope no one took what I said as a negative toward what's going on. It's just interesting to me how the opinion changes when the reality didn't.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3629224/highlights/298234379/v2

Wow is my reaction from watching his film. He is a solid 250...no baby fat from the looks of it. Crazy quick off the line...not sure how this guy didn't have power 5 offers. Usually his size and athletic ability would get him a solid list of offers. I know it is just high school tape, but this is impressive

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
He'd to keep up with this staff. Love that size!

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
How good of a recruiting class will Campbell's staff get with time put in? This is just in a couple of weeks! Crazy.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Where's the 4 star guys? I said this before but last years class had 4 guys that were rated higher than anyone we have coming in right now. That's not to say this staff isn't doing a great job; it's just to say the negative attitude clouded everyone's judgement on the types of guy the last staff was getting.

I realize that and it's great but everyone acts like it's new and it's not. These are the guys that ISU has to get and I happen to think there is a bunch of them on the current roster. This is a Reggan Northrup or KCM type of recruit.

I hope no one took what I said as a negative toward what's going on. It's just interesting to me how the opinion changes when the reality didn't.
Don't let facts get in the way of premature and mislead expectations. To get kicked in the nuts one must have a wide stance.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

Yep. Rhoads killed it early in his recruiting career too iirc. Immediately brought in

4 star CB Anthony Young
4 star WR Chris Young
4 star WR Darius Reynolds
Knott, Klein, David Sims, others

Im still very excited for Campbell and the future of cyclone football. It's just some additional perspective

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012

I never said this was new. But I do have more faith that these guys will have less misses. But given the timing of them yeah they are good. Also I think people are excited because this staff has a great reputation as talent evaluators and I think most people felt that Rhoads and company were average in that regard. It's a new staff, everyone is entitled to hope and a big glass of koolaid.

TNT

Oct 4, 2015
I think people also need to remember that Campbell (IMO) has the better track record coming into this job than CPR did.

Matt Campbell came into this job being the MAC COY....has Paul ever had anything like that in his career? Don't view CPR as a COY anytime soon either. CPR was maybe COW (Coach Of Week - OSU game), but will never get COY award. Big difference.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

I have to disagree, reality did change. Campbell is doing exactly what he needs to do. Capitalize while he can on his new coach status and bring in solid recuits.

Rhoads current incoming class was going to be another bottom of the power5 class, with a few potentially good players and a lot of the same. Only time will tell, whether Campbell's recruits are any better, but I think a lot of the euphoria surrounding his recruits are two-fold. One is his adept use of social media, as his staff champions each player. And 2, new recruiting territory. I'll readily admit, I've grown wary seeing a flow of 2-star players from Texas that few others want.

Getting 3-star players out of Illinois, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania excites me, simply because they aren't picked over Texas players. Again, time will tell whether they are picked over Ohio, etc players, but you have to admit, someone trying something different than we've seen over the past decade plus, at least invites the thought of better results.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
It isn't about getting the 4 stars right now. I am more concerned with getting all the players on the team at a 3 star level first. I would much rather have a while team of 3 stars than a couple 4 stars worked in with a lot of 2 star type guys. Insert cheesy line...you are only as good as your weakest link. Having all 3 star type guys means when a lineman goes down we don't really miss a beat. Give us two years of that and the 4 star will start to become more frequent.

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com
Campbell just tweeted he got a pass rushing commit.
Iowa State has picked up a commitment from DE Eyioma Uwazurike, a source tells AllCyclones.com. Huge kid and former Toledo commit.

I am not an expert on all this, but this kid's name indicates to me that he is of Nigerian decent, like two of the other recruits in Campbell's class. In general (keep in mind, I'm saying in general), I've said for several years now that if ISU could establish the ISU brand within the Nigerian communities (the largest of which is in Houston) and Samoan communities, and stock our team with those kids to play defense, in the OL and at RB, we would be in great shape by addding the big 6'6" 280# Iowa kids and a solid QB recruit each year. Both the Nigerian communities and Somoan communities have a disproportionate % of kids playing in the NFL compared to any other group in our population. I am encouraged that Lou Ayeni and the rest of the Campbell staff understand this well given the recruits on board so far and the prospects on the horizon.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

Most of what you say is true. However, the previous staff had 6 years of recruiting to build to that class that was brought in last year, this staff has done this in 2.5 weeks. I think two things are at play here. First most fans are in love with the communication this staff puts out, it is cool to open twitter and see 7 different football coaches saying great things about a kid that committed to ISU. Never happened before. The second is very much related to the first. there appears to be a plan in place. Where in the past we were never allowed to see behind the curtain and so recruiting seemed random.

While we have absolutely nothing to do with the recruiting process it is nice that fans are treated as though they are apart of it, and we are allowed to celebrate with the coaches when they get someone they targeted.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I have to disagree, reality did change. Campbell is doing exactly what he needs to do. Capitalize while he can on his new coach status and bring in solid recuits.

Rhoads current incoming class was going to be another bottom of the power5 class, with a few potentially good players and a lot of the same. Only time will tell, whether Campbell's recruits are any better, but I think a lot of the euphoria surrounding his recruits are two-fold. One is his adept use of social media, as his staff champions each player. And 2, new recruiting territory. I'll readily admit, I've grown wary seeing a flow of 2-star players from Texas that few others want.

Getting 3-star players out of Illinois, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania excites me, simply because they aren't picked over Texas players. Again, time will tell whether they are picked over Ohio, etc players, but you have to admit, someone trying something different than we've seen over the past decade plus, at least invites the thought of better results.

So true

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I am not an expert on all this, but this kid's name indicates to me that he is of Nigerian decent, like two of the other recruits in Campbell's class. In general (keep in mind, I'm saying in general), I've said for several years now that if ISU could establish the ISU brand within the Nigerian communities (the largest of which is in Houston) and Samoan communities, and stock our team with those kids to play defense, in the OL and at RB, we would be in great shape by addding the big 6'6" 280# Iowa kids and a solid QB recruit each year. Both the Nigerian communities and Somoan communities have a disproportionate % of kids playing in the NFL compared to any other group in our population. I am encouraged that Lou Ayeni and the rest of the Campbell staff understand this well given the recruits on board so far and the prospects on the horizon.

Ya I agree. Been wanting to hit the Samoan communities harder for years. Not only do they offer all the positives you already addressed, they also have a really tough minded approach to life.

TNT

Oct 4, 2015
Most of what you say is true. However, the previous staff had 6 years of recruiting to build to that class that was brought in last year, this staff has done this in 2.5 weeks. I think two things are at play here. First most fans are in love with the communication this staff puts out, it is cool to open twitter and see 7 different football coaches saying great things about a kid that committed to ISU. Never happened before. The second is very much related to the first. there appears to be a plan in place. Where in the past we were never allowed to see behind the curtain and so recruiting seemed random.

While we have absolutely nothing to do with the recruiting process it is nice that fans are treated as though they are apart of it, and we are allowed to celebrate with the coaches when they get someone they targeted.

Well said.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com

I kind-of agree with you in principle, but your facts are wrong. On Rivals, Payne is rated a 5.7, which is the same as Demond Tucker - who was the only 5.7 in last year's class. So, your statement of 4 guys higher than anyone in this class is just false. Payne is better than all but 1 guy in last years class and if he ends up as good as Tucker then I think we're in good shape.