New coach, new image

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
I do like when they let the fans vote on what they like, although last time they did that Chizik went to JP and pushed the I State logo even though it didn't win.

Edit: I found the old vote link, it wasn't a vote for the future main logo but for a specialty helmet for a game. I think this was the first use of the I State logo though. IIRC the scrip t Cyclone came in first by fan popular opinion. http://m.cyclones.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=1138775&DB_OEM_ID=10700&

Last edited:

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
"Ankeny tough"

Yes, this is the one I like as well.

I actually like Toledo's uniform set up. Clean logo, a couple matte helmet options. We need to do something.

I believe pinkel came from Toledo (not that Toledo is the common denominator I'm looking for here) but his rebranding of Missouri was amazing.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Same logo but new jerseys, alter the helmet a little, get rid of the dumb *** inflatable tunnel to run out on the field in. The AD should really be kicking themselves over not putting the tunnel between JTS and the lockeroom out on the field. That was as natural of an entrance as you can get but they didn't want to pony up the extra $100,000 to rerun existing infrastructure.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Our athletic department has a lot to learn about marketing. This idea we are going to be Nebraska is silly. In 30 years after Campbell retires and has won us a few national championships we can stand by the strength of our brand.

In the meantime, we need to be a fun and exciting football team and part of that is alternate uniforms in the current environment. I like the I State logo, but it doesn't mean you can't have a cyclone on the helmet. The nickname cyclones is totally unique in College sports and we should own and celebrate that. You say I State you could be talking about 3 different schools. If you say Cyclones, Iowa State is your only option. Look at both Okie State and Texas Tech. They have helmets with their Logo and their Mascots. It makes their programs seem cool.

Campbell needs to send the people in charge of gameday down to the SEC. To Georgia or Florida etc. to see what big time football feels like. The blow up tunnel, smoke on the water, sweet caroline are fine, but so out of date. Pollard has done an outstanding job with facilities, the two video boards, endzone, let's treat it like a big time environment, make the game an event that people can't miss. You can do this while still maintaining the commitment to families. You could also use country music, not just hip hop and still have a better atmosphere than songs from the '70's.

I really hope Campbell is a visionary and I will have to make it out to some games next year.

Reactions: t-noah

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I've lived in every corner of this country and our branding is not working. When I wear my I-State gear the most common thing I get is "oh you went to Illinois State? " and when I lived on the west coast "oh you went to Idaho state? "

And these are people that know sports. The reality is when you're out of big 12 country our logo isn't a national brand because Iowa isn't nationally recognized "I" doesn't cut it.

To me, that there is the most apparent logic that our I-State branding effort is a failure. I could personally go either way on the logo, this isn't my personal opinion. It's fact that people have no idea what it is.

Move lived in Big East/ACC territory, Pac12 territory, and SEC territory and you're simply wrong. Everybody who sees the I-State knows who it is. I'm Executive Platinum on American Airlines and I get comments about Iowa State on at least every other trip from my I-State jackets, ties, cuff links, bag tag, or whatever I might have with me at the time. I doubt that 19 out of 20 people even know that there's an Illinois State.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
The logo/mark is not going anywhere. It is solid.

Alternate uniforms and stadium atmosphere (music) is what needs to be looked at.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Move lived in Big East/ACC territory, Pac12 territory, and SEC territory and you're simply wrong. Everybody who sees the I-State knows who it is. I'm Executive Platinum on American Airlines and I get comments about Iowa State on at least every other trip from my I-State jackets, ties, cuff links, bag tag, or whatever I might have with me at the time. I doubt that 19 out of 20 people even know that there's an Illinois State.

This.

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
New coach makes us due for a new look. Let's burn the current uniforms and appeal to recruits with multiple combinations. Bring back the Cyclone to the helmet, our identity. A red bird is not a cyclone, and yet to hear anyone refer to us as "I-State". Happy to see Campbell has used multiple uniforms....if he's the guy.
Sounds like Hawkeye talk, the I State logo is a smashing success! I love it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Totally. It would be excellent branding to have the team of the most popular sport in the nation to have a completely different logo on the most visible part of the game (the helmet) than what the national branding logo is. Genius. Sign me up. Should make billions. NEZ here we come with that brilliant marketing scheme.

Take it easy Jamie. Just cause no one likes our boring uniforms doesn't mean you need to get butt hurt over your precious I-State logo. Here are a few schools that don't even use their logos on their helmet that are very nationally recognized. Alabama, Penn State, Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame. After I think about it you're right, no one recognizes those schools anyways...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I-State is the logo, not what you are supposed to call Iowa State. I find it odd at how many people don't understand that. The I-State logo is much more recognizable than other logos we have had.

A california surfer dude at a beach side surf shop yesterday recognized I State as Iowa State and asked if that's where I went to school. It was only a 2" tiny logo on the chest of a shirt. As a professional designer I would quickly bet my life that moving from whirlybird identity text to I State has done wonders for the brand identity of not just the athletic department but the entire university.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
attachment.php
'Cy'; and 'cyclone'.

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Take it easy Jamie. Just cause no one likes our boring uniforms doesn't mean you need to get butt hurt over your precious I-State logo. Here are a few schools that don't even use their logos on their helmet that are very nationally recognized. Alabama, Penn State, Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame. After I think about it you're right, no one recognizes those schools anyways...

I think there's a lot more evidence in this thread that people do like the I-State than they don't.

Personally, I like Swirlybird Cy the most. The one posted above is great. Once they took the blue out and the odd looking ISU out of it, I though it looked sharp. But it's not our main logo. The I-State is. And it'd be stupid to use a secondary logo on the helmet when trying to brand ourselves nationally (it'd be fine with alternate helmets, but our main helmets should be the main logo.)

And way to compare Iowa State to some of the most iconic and tradition laden teams in the sport. Because we're totally on the same level of national name recognition historically with them.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Same logo but new jerseys, alter the helmet a little, get rid of the dumb *** inflatable tunnel to run out on the field in. The AD should really be kicking themselves over not putting the tunnel between JTS and the lockeroom out on the field. That was as natural of an entrance as you can get but they didn't want to pony up the extra $100,000 to rerun existing infrastructure.

I don't get the hate with the inflatable tunnel and fog. I would have killed for that when I was playing! All we had was just walking down the east side of the Jacobson ramp which is about as boring as it gets.

I say we add fireworks that shoot off when the team comes through the fog onto the field (much like ASU does). That would be badass.

L

LincolnWay187

I am on board with changing some of the music, especially Sweet Caroline. I was fine with it years ago when I thought it was an ISU thing to play this every game....Nope! The Boston Red Sox and other sports teams do the same thing. When it's crappy song AND we don't "own it"...pass. Give me something unique at ISU.

Last edited by a moderator: