North Carolina playing in Cedar Falls this Saturday??

ISUalum2012

Mar 24, 2014
If I'm the AD at UNI, I would schedule as many games as possible at UNC. If they're getting paid to go there, there is literally no down side.

CYdways432

Jan 22, 2015
Cedar Rapids
Was just looking over UNI's schedule, they play UNC, ISU, Wichita State 2x, and has the chance to play Oklahoma in a tournament. Pretty impressive resume for a mvc school. Weather permitting I may try and attended the UNC/UNI game this weekend.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This is actually correct. UNC offered home and home and Jake asked that another game be tacked on. Not only did UNI get the third game, its a guarantee game. So, in year 3 UNI is also getting a check that is well above market rate ($150k). With the way that UNI struggles to get games, home and away, it was a no brainer to get as many games as possible out of this.

Also, Paige requested that it be UNI rather than Iowa State or Iowa. He's already played both of those teams and he and Matt Bohannon played together on those Linn-Mar state title teams a few years ago.

Its just a really neat deal for everybody involved, its just horrible that Paige got hurt. I do expect him to start and play a couple minutes on Saturday. He was in uniform and warmed up last night.

BRAVO!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Ya'll don't know that snake Roy Williams very well. -a charitable coaching rewarding his Iowa-born player? Hardly

He comes back to Iowa to keep his name and profile relevant in this state, when the next Harrison Barnes/Nick Collison comes along

He'd prefer a healthy Paige but that's secondary.

HE recruited Woodbury to keep his Iowa pipeline going, even though Woody would be a bench warmer for UNC

So you are saying that he would play in Iowa if he had no Iowan on the team? Good try.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
UNI is in a tough place schedule wise as a upper level mid-major. They want to build a schedule good enough to get an at large bid, while at the same time not commit schedule suicide while having to have at least a few home games.

Its a balance that is really tough. Might have scheduled too tough this year, but probably didn't schedule well enough last year and it cost at least one if not two seed lines.

I wish we could play Iowa State every year and say screw Iowa. ISU is a better game year in and year out.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
UNI is in a tough place schedule wise as a upper level mid-major. They want to build a schedule good enough to get an at large bid, while at the same time not commit schedule suicide while having to have at least a few home games.

Its a balance that is really tough. Might have scheduled too tough this year, but probably didn't schedule well enough last year and it cost at least one if not two seed lines.

I wish we could play Iowa State every year and say screw Iowa. ISU is a better game year in and year out.

With the quality of the Valley going down since Creighton left, it makes even more sense for them to be aggressive about playing quality non-conf opponents, no matter the venue.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Give UNC credit as it'll be a tough game for them. They would have been better off playing Iowa if they wanted a better chance to win. No way in hell would Roy bring UNC to Ames.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How is getting an extra game with UNC a bad thing? I wouldn't be surprised if the second away game was UNI's idea. Home and home would have been a step down from the deal that they inked. Three years playing a perennial powerhouse is great for the program.

If I'm UNI, I schedule UNC as often in the non-conference as I can. It is great for recruiting someone t Cedar Falls and tell them, "oh yeah, we have a competitive conference and we play top-ranked teams like North Carolina, Iowa State, Kansas, etc."

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
Give UNC credit as it'll be a tough game for them. They would have been better off playing Iowa if they wanted a better chance to win. No way in hell would Roy bring UNC to Ames.

Really? Iowa did just beat UNC last year in Chapel Hill...

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Iowa pipeline?? Lol

Many coaches do this for their 4 year players. I actually think Iowa St should have done something similar for Niang.

And Prohm may want to do something like this for Monte next season. It may even be enough to persuade him to come back, if he's really on the fence about it.

Let's play @ Oakland or better yet, @ Michigan St.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Let's play @ Oakland or better yet, @ Michigan St.

If you're Iowa St, you choose Michigan St 10/10 times. I would go as far as a 2 for 1, two @Michigan St and one in Hilton.

There's no downside to playing at Michigan St. From a resume standpoint, a loss to them is equal to, or better than, a win at Oakland.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This makes perfect sense to me. My original point was that if UNI wanted just a home and home, they could of easily gotten it, and this affirms that. After getting more info on this, Ill back off my original stance that UNI was stupid for doing a 2 for 1 instead of just a home and home.

I'll go ahead and admit that UNI had more leverage in this than I assumed.
Well played, Panthers.

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
If you're Iowa St, you choose Michigan St 10/10 times. I would go as far as a 2 for 1, two @Michigan St and one in Hilton.

There's no downside to playing at Michigan St. From a resume standpoint, a loss to them is equal to, or better than, a win at Oakland.
I don't want to play MSU next year. They are going to be loaded.

CF_Cyclone

Mar 31, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA
Thats a good point. I guess I would point out the only downside is losing a potential home game, but they are likely to have a road game somewhere else anyways.

I don't think the potential home court game is as big of a deal for a UNI as it is for bigger programs. There are many games inc CF that are not sell outs anyway, and with an arena that holds around 7,000 they are probably going to make more money playing at UNC than at home.

CF_Cyclone

Mar 31, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA
This is actually correct. UNC offered home and home and Jake asked that another game be tacked on. Not only did UNI get the third game, its a guarantee game. So, in year 3 UNI is also getting a check that is well above market rate ($150k). With the way that UNI struggles to get games, home and away, it was a no brainer to get as many games as possible out of this.

Also, Paige requested that it be UNI rather than Iowa State or Iowa. He's already played both of those teams and he and Matt Bohannon played together on those Linn-Mar state title teams a few years ago.

Its just a really neat deal for everybody involved, its just horrible that Paige got hurt. I do expect him to start and play a couple minutes on Saturday. He was in uniform and warmed up last night.

Paige is good friends with several of the UNI players. In addition to playing in HS with Bohannon, he is close to Wyatt Lohaus and Jeremy Morgan from Iowa City.

cemarclone

Feb 6, 2014

Iowa State will never do a 2 for 1 schedule with anyone. Major programs don't do that.