Running game....

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
That was 2 sacks for Drew Ott in less than a half when Iowa controlled the time of possession. His nose was broken and he sat out the rest of the game. Even when he did not make sacks he was in the backfield and hurrying plays. Despite being double teamed. Iowa state's offensive line is very makeshift. They will put 2 have to put 2 guys on him and try. That opens things up for Johnson to make plays. Iowa shut down a 2300 yard rusher, and a running QB saturday. The green cyclone running backs will not find any running lanes. Iowa will win the battle in the trench.

Ren and Stimpy say that you are an EEDIOT!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Wow.... listen to the excuses on here.... short fields, played vanilla, UNI stacked the box, and my absolute favorite was when someone actually tried to use our 3 runs it took to score from the 6 inch line as a positive for our run game because those shouldn't have really counted as carries. Ummm, no.... it is precisely the problem when it takes you 3 tries to go 6 inches on an FCS D line.

Now I will give you that our average yd per rush, after taking Sam's sacks out, wasn't too bad. It wasn't great though either, and probably should be more like 5 or 6 yds per carry against a smallish D line.

By the way, my biggest complaint about that near goal line stand was that we were 7 yds behind the line of scrimmage in shotgun formation AGAIN. I couldn't believe my eyes. Are we never going to learn? We literally had like 6 inches to go for the TD. Put Sam under center and sneak it and end it already. At least we didn't try to throw it and get it picked off there.... I would have lost my mind.
Saving it for the TCU game.

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
Another bonus this year for our Defense I thought our LB's looked quick, decisive, and always in good position. They shot the gaps quicker than we have seen in previous years. Some Contain was broken when the UNI QB scrambled on broken plays, but for the most part they were really quick on the edges and tough in the middle. Regardless I think Harris and Jones will be tough for Iowa RB's to juke or roll over. It's just a different mentality it seems for the entire Defense.

Last edited:

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We learned how to contain the second half. I'm not worried about stopping their run game, and defiantly not their pass game.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
What? I thought Campos was LT? Did I miss a memo?
Campos was #1 on the depth chart last week but Philbert saw most of the snaps there. Campos played LT the first two series then Philbert played LT until he crmaped up and Campos slid over to RT wher ehe and Dagel both played. When Philbert cramped up, Campos was at RT and Dagel came in and played LT.

Rhoads mentioned some things suffered due to the rotation we had at OT but said those things would get better as soon as the guys get acquainted with each other in practice this week.

After rewatching the game, Philbert is the best LT we have. Better pass blocker and did well in the run game but needs to improve a little.

I fully expect to see Philbert at LT more and more as the season goes on but that is just me.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
That was 2 sacks for Drew Ott in less than a half when Iowa controlled the time of possession. His nose was broken and he sat out the rest of the game. Even when he did not make sacks he was in the backfield and hurrying plays. Despite being double teamed. Iowa state's offensive line is very makeshift. They will put 2 have to put 2 guys on him and try. That opens things up for Johnson to make plays. Iowa shut down a 2300 yard rusher, and a running QB saturday. The green cyclone running backs will not find any running lanes. Iowa will win the battle in the trench.
Funny. I have seen many hoks state they were surprised that illinois state didn't give the LT help on Ott

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Funny. I have seen many hoks state they were surprised that illinois state didn't give the LT help on Ott

I just looked up the highlights BTN posted and he was being single teamed on all the defensive plays they included. In one a guard halfheartedly tries to pick him up after he ran inside on the LT, but the guard's initial assignment was to double the down lineman.

[video]https://youtu.be/Khvt7FojMcE?t=45s[/video]

Last edited:

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I don't think the question is "can we run the ball for 300+ yards on the Hawkeye D?" but rather "can we do enough running on the Hawkeye D to force them to adjust." .... and therefore set up the passing game.

2009ChEClone

Oct 13, 2012
Not impressed with our running backs, everytime there was a hole and one man to miss to make a big run they got wrapped up by a small defender.