Most Underrated Movie

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Of course, I can’t choose only one. I narrowed the list as much as I could

Most of these comedies. Not a deliberate decision. A few got awards/nominations and decent critical acclaim, others are off-radar. So it’s a mixed bag.

(No order)

Best in Show
Once
Head
Flirting With Disaster
Defending Your Life
Slaughterhouse-Five
Take the Money and Run
Crazy, Stupid Love
Say Anything
Top Secret!
Coal Miner’s Daughter
Primer
Lucas
Burn After Reading
My Cousin Vinny

A few already mentioned that I might've included: The Jerk; Back to School; That Thing You Do!

Defending your life is a solid movie

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
Less Than Zero - 80's Robert Downey Jr addicted to drugs and James Spader as the manipulative drug dealer/pimp.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
61*

First saw it when I was like 12, and it's always been one of my all-time favorite sports movies ever since. I'm also a Barry Pepper fan; he rarely gets big roles, but he's good at what he does.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
'True Romance' is #1 on my list of favorite movies. It doesn't get much better than the scene with Hopper and Walken. And no one could've played the pimp better than Gary Oldman.

But Willem Dafoe wasn't in it.
That threw me off too.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Most underrated movie is Office Space. Did not show up on any of AFI's lists when they did their Top 100 lists. Not even on the any of the nomination lists. That is over 1700 movies and Office Space did not show up on any of those lists.
Can't pass it up when I'm flipping thru channels.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
agreed...But he is in some great movies.

Dance with Wolves;
Untouchables.
Field of Dreams
Bull Durham
JFK.

He surrounds himself with much better actors in these movies--which props him up

Speaking of Costner-- "A Perfect World" is underrated...... He stars with Clint Eastwood among others
He did his best acting job in "The Big Chill." He played the dead guy.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I have to add "Twelve Monkeys" and "Ladyhawke" to my underrated list.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I very rarely see it mentioned or discussed, especially for a decent recent movie, so I guess that qualifies Kingsman: The Secret Service. If you are looking for a serious whodunit spy movie, this is not for you. If you're looking for a Westboro-type church that, with the aid of sinister technology, murders itself, heads of bad guys exploding in plume of fireworks to Pomp and Circumstance, and Scandanavian princesses that want to get "****** in the *******", then this movie is for you.

This was one of those movies I went into with high skepticism and low expectations. In fact, I pretty much expected it to be terrible. With that said, it was one of those where I walked away thinking not too bad. Granted, I'd hardly call it the best movie ever or one of my favorites, but at the same time, I did enjoy it.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
The Jerk and Slap Shot

My two all time favorite movies. I'm still amazed at how many people have never heard or seen both of them.

I also have enjoyed having Prime and Netflix as they have a good selection of movies I've never really heard of or have heard of but never watched. Some I really like and some I shut off about 30 minutes into it.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
agreed...But he is in some great movies.

Dance with Wolves;
Untouchables.
Field of Dreams
Bull Durham
JFK.

He surrounds himself with much better actors in these movies--which props him up

Speaking of Costner-- "A Perfect World" is underrated...... He stars with Clint Eastwood among others

I actually liked him in For the Love of the Game also.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
There are quite a few listed here that I wouldn't have considered 'underrated'. If these aren't some of the top comedies of all time, then they are certainly underrated:

The Jerk
Office Space
Princess Bride
My Cousin Vinny
O Brother Where Art Thou

A couple that I think are underrated that are my personal favorites:
Shawn of the Dead / Hot Fuzz
High Fidelity
The Ladykillers
The Fifth Element

Latest posts

Help Support Us