Game of Thrones Season 5

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I've seen some outrage about the Meryn Trant scene.

I always remind people who are in outrage this is a fictional show depicting a fantasy time where things were not always candy and roses.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well then... would.

cleaning2.252203032_std.jpg

Reactions: 4VR4CY

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I've seen some outrage about the Meryn Trant scene.

I always remind people who are in outrage this is a fictional show depicting a fantasy time where things were not always candy and roses.

If it did depict candy and roses and glossed over things that make you mad, it wouldn't be a successful show. It would be a cancelled network sitcom.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
As do I. I assume Dany will have a kinship with Drogon, and someone else will control the other 2. One being bran, the other.... who knows, maybe Tyrion :jimlad:

The Dragons of old had riders so at some point they should get some. Tyrion is one of the most well read people in Westeros, aside from the Maesters, and in particular he is fascinated by dragons. So realistically he could be by sheer knowledge of them. Dany has had no access to the literature he has as he has travelled all over the seven kingdoms and stops in the libraries wherever he goes.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
If it did depict candy and roses and glossed over things that make you mad, it wouldn't be a successful show. It would be a cancelled network sitcom.

George RR Martin doesn't write about heroes. We are used to our leaders depicted as them so it is tough to handle the sheer evil things that sometimes good characters will do.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
George RR Martin doesn't write about heroes. We are used to our leaders depicted as them so it is tough to handle the sheer evil things that sometimes good characters will do.

It's also much more realistic. Real people make huge mistakes and betray their "friends".

If Robb Stark had succeeded and won the War of Five Kings it wouldn't have been realistic.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm amazed at the grasp you guys have on the names of the ancillary characters who almost never get referred to by name. I frequently have to google names in this thread and then go "Oh, that guy".

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Reading the books has helped me with remembering the names more than I did before.

yeah, the little genealogy trees and appendices that GRRM puts at the end definitely help. I still get confused by some of the Targaryens. Half of them are 5 letter names that start with "Ae". Hard to keep track.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
This kinda stuff is what needs to bring people back to reality that are angry with a show. It's not real, remember that. The last 3-4 weeks of dealing with the "I'm offended" club on reaction/podcast/blogs has been insufferable.

I think you miss the point of some of the backlash. I think people understand it is fictional, duh. My issue is that I watch the show to be entertained. Personally, I don't find vicious stabbing of a pregnant woman, burning/screaming of young child, or repeated rape scenes to be entertaining. Maybe others do.

If they were necessary to the story, maybe it is fine. But a number of people find some of these scenes as gratuitous violence just for the sake of shock value. There is a line between being edgy and being over the top. There are a number of ways Shireen could have been sacrificed without the screaming of a young child burned alive. The Harpy were burned alive, and that was fine (and fictional). Not sure why is not OK to respect the opinions of some people that feel the show could be just as successful without some gratuitous violence and misogyny.

And lol, I have read a number of people defending some of these scenes with the response, "well, that is how women were treated back then". Uh, fictional.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
As do I. I assume Dany will have a kinship with Drogon, and someone else will control the other 2. One being bran, the other.... who knows, maybe Tyrion :jimlad:

Actually, according to fan theories, the other two dragon riders are supposed to be Tyrion (assuming that the Mad King Aerys raped Joanna Lannister and as a result impregnated her with Tyrion, which is part of the reason why Tywin hates Tyrion so much, not just the fact that he's a dwarf that killed his mother during childbirth - in fact, that's why Tywin tells Tyrion he has a "right" to the Lannister name because he "can't prove otherwise" - that would make Tyrion part Targaryen and part Lannister) and Jon Snow (if R + L = J is true - that would make Jon part Targaryen and part Stark)

So...
Danerys (Targaryen father/Targaryen mother)
Tyrion (Targaryen father/Lannister mother)
Jon (Targaryen father/Stark mother)

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I hate it when people say "that's how women were treated back then." My response is usually, "Really, tell me about how life was back when there were dragons and white walkers. I'd really like to know."

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm amazed at the grasp you guys have on the names of the ancillary characters who almost never get referred to by name. I frequently have to google names in this thread and then go "Oh, that guy".

I have very little memorized - I reference Wikipedia or ASoIaF Wiki quite often.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think you miss the point of some of the backlash. I think people understand it is fictional, duh. My issue is that I watch the show to be entertained. Personally, I don't find vicious stabbing of a pregnant woman, burning/screaming of young child, or repeated rape scenes to be entertaining. Maybe others do.

If they were necessary to the story, maybe it is fine. But a number of people find some of these scenes as gratuitous violence just for the sake of shock value. There is a line between being edgy and being over the top. There are a number of ways Shireen could have been sacrificed without the screaming of a young child burned alive. The Harpy were burned alive, and that was fine (and fictional). Not sure why is not OK to respect the opinions of some people that feel the show could be just as successful without some gratuitous violence and misogyny.

And lol, I have read a number of people defending some of these scenes with the response, "well, that is how women were treated back then". Uh, fictional.

Replace "back then" with "in the GRRM universe" and I think you're on to something. The books and the show constantly remind us, on nearly every page, and in nearly every episode that this is a cruel and brutal world that this story takes place in, especially if you are a woman. As a story, it doesn't conform to traditional story telling tropes, so why would anyone expect its world to conform to our world's societal norms? The show has never given us any reason to expect anything but brutality and cruelty. Sitting here, 5 years into this brutal, cruel story, and suddenly getting offended by its depictions of violence toward a child and rape of a main character, neither actually shown, I might add, reeks (see what I did there?) of johnny-come-lately-ism. The show has had its cards on the table since episode one.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

I hate to break it to you, but there were a lot of young women burned at the stake for witchcraft.

And the point of the violence and rape is to show how truly awful some of these characters are. They've actually been more tactful than expected. The scene with Sansa showed as little as possible and was particularly impactful because of the tremendous acting of Alfie Allen.

If people can't handle it, don't watch. HBO won't miss you and it is pretty pointless to go on a tirade about it trying to get HBO to change it. They won't.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I have a fix. Don't watch it.