Mayor says goodbye to Ames, hello to Chicago

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
After thinking about this I'm ready to move on.

The team has been great. Fred has taught them well. If we take anything from his time here we as fans should be as classy and gracious as Fred has been.

You are forgiven Fred for not having the same dream as that of Cyclonenation.

Thanks for the memories.
Gracious? losing recruits and not coaching the last several months? That is called screwing your employer.

XLK9

Dec 31, 2009
Ames
Granted, I don't do Facebook or Twitter [so correct me if I'm wrong here], but I find it really amazing that we didn't hear a leak from the players on the situation. Obviously Fred was talking to them, but I haven't heard any of them break the news.

What do you make of that?

I know what my assessment is: They are hanging together during the whole media circus we have been going through for the past few days.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Gracious? losing recruits and not coaching the last several months? That is called screwing your employer.

fred-holberg-ncaa-basketball-big-12-championship-kansas-vs-iowa-state-850x560.jpg

7537162_G.jpg

XLK9

Dec 31, 2009
Ames

Dude, you need to sit down and take a few deep breaths.

This is simply the way of the workplace - the truly talented ones get the big opportunities and they move on. It happens every day in the work world - those of us who really liked them have to find a way to let them go and carry on without them.

I don't like Fred leaving, but I accept it.

I'm glad we got five years with him at the helm.

The big question is: What do we do next?

That will define us.

Last edited:

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
In two years all the progress will likely be gone and we may be happy to get 20 wins every few years.

isu83

May 5, 2010
It's funny these people say they decide if the mayor is the mayor. Freds the mayor. The end. Good luck and hope he is the next Phil Jackson.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
It's funny these people say they decide if the mayor is the mayor. Freds the mayor. The end. Good luck and hope he is the next Phil Jackson.

the people decide who's the mayor. It's Chicago's turn to elect.

that being said, he is THE Mayor.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Good luck getting internet votes for charities now.

In all seriousness, I am sad he is leaving but thankful for what he did here. Between his heart surgery and this opportunity, I think his timetable for coaching got a lot shorter. He always wanted to be an NBA coach, now he is (and making a crap-ton while doing it). I am happy he is filling his dream and helped us along the way.

Cheers, Fred.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

I get your anger. I was bitter and disappointed at first but I realized that the man in his heart wanted something different than the rest of us. Which he is allowed to have.

Also I know Fred would not do anything that would put the program in a bad spot. The sooner I came to accept this the sooner I was able to forgive him and move on to the next chapter. If you can't do this then you won't be able to truly enjoy what's next to come which could be unprecedented heights.

Maybe Fred's last gift is his demeanor and approach. We as Cyclone fans should take a little lesson from Fred and be able to roll with the punches with some grace and perseverance.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

Those recruits were going to be gone if he would have lied to them, they signed an LOI and then he left for the Bulls. And if I am not mistaken, there was a slight thing called open heart surgery that stopped him from coaching the last few weeks/months. But you don't seem like a person that likes logic so I don't expect you to agree with me.