Congrats Tom Herman!

HiltonSouth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2010
Kansas City
Congrats to Iowa State's former OC Tom Herman on his National Championship and now his new head coaching job at Houston! Cyclone Nation loves you!!!

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
127.gif

:jimlad:

HiltonSouth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2010
Kansas City
I thought he only coached up to the Sugar Bowl?

No, they said he's been pulling double duty ever since he accepted the job. Spending the majority of his days working on the Ohio State game plan for last night and a couple hours a day working on Houston coaching duties.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
No, they said he's been pulling double duty ever since he accepted the job. Spending the majority of his days working on the Ohio State game plan for last night and a couple hours a day working on Houston coaching duties.

That must of changed after the Sugar Bowl because during that have they said it was his final game with OSU.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Urban will win again next year with his new plug and play OC.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
Yeah, any OC will be successful with the quality of the offensive line at OSU. There is a reason the RB ran wild and the QB had all day.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
That must of changed after the Sugar Bowl because during that have they said it was his final game with OSU.

This was a poor job of explaining by ESPN, because I remember hearing it during the Sugar Bowl as well.

They said something along the lines that "He is done at Ohio State after tonight and will be making his way to Houston to become the new head coach, unless they go to the National Championship."

They didn't put much emphasis on if they beat Alabama, probably because no one expected them to.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Yeah, any OC will be successful with the quality of the offensive line at OSU. There is a reason the RB ran wild and the QB had all day.

I said this last year when a similar topic about Tom came up. Obviously, you can screw things up if you are a terrible coach, but OSU has guys that just flat out make plays. There wasn't anything special about the design of the offense, block, hit the holes, throw the ball a mile accurately and if no one is open, go ahead and run for 20 yards.

Our offensive woes lie deeply in our offensive lines inability to push the defense out of the way and sustain blocks. We definitely don't have what OSU has as far as talent goes, but I think a lot of people would be surprised how much better we would be with just a few improvements on the offensive line.

Cycho1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 18, 2008
Barrington Hills, IL
So how many former ISU coaches won a National Championship now?

McCarney @ Florida w/ Meyer
Gene Cheesesick @ Auburn
Tom Herman @ OSU w/ Meyer

Anyone else? Didn't Mack Brown, Jimmy Johnson, and Pete Carroll spend time at ISU?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Herman made a brilliant move in his career, going to work for one of the best minds in CFB history. Now that he's on his own, will be interesting to see how he does.

Apr 19, 2006

Gene Cheesesick @ Auburn

Anyone else? Didn't Mack Brown, Jimmy Johnson, and Pete Carroll spend time at ISU?

Yeah all three of those guys were in Ames at one time.

I wonder if we could have a charity challenge where all those coaches would come back to coach at ISU for 4 years to get ISU on the map! One can dream can't they!

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009

Gene Cheesesick @ Auburn

Yes. Johnny Majors. HC here, HC for Pitt.

Also Earl Bruce won 4 Big Ten titles after he left here.