Release: SCHEMATIC DESIGNS FOR SOUTH END ZONE PROJECT RELEASED

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Part of the increased cost may also be for the ribbon board around the stadium as I see it is mentioned in the BOR agenda item.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Yea hopefully they can scrape together some more funds for the greenspace/parking/traffic phase so it gets done right.

I agree with this. But, I have to wonder at this from the linked document (Page 2, last paragraph.: following Board approval of the schematic design, additional items were discovered that require an increase in the budget." Some of that certainly should have been known prior to design shouldn't it? Additional secondary steel for the new scoreboard and adding a fascia/ribbon board?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Well that probably also included things like bridges\tunnels that arent cheap.

Good point. Since its at least a year off, I'm sure JP is looking for additional donations. Too bad the football team continues to not justify the support.

CYTruck

Jan 3, 2010
I would love it if they could put the ribbon board in a mode that makes it a decibel meter.... to encourage the crowd.
The louder the crowd... the farther up the ribbon board the lights will go......
Would really be cool during the "Cyclone" "Power" exchange... we could get a reading on which side is louder...
really get the crowd messing with the lights and such... could be pretty cool especially during night games..

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
And this with the addtional "instant winter weather" costs. The video says they are on schedule, too. I hope we go without and big rain events during the project. In the video they show two workers carrying an I-beam - the way they hefted the thing it looked made of aluminum alloy.

Once they get up out of the ground the rain isn't as big of a deal. They'll lose a day with the rain but it's not several days like you'd lose with on ground construction.

Oh, and that beam was aluminum. The highly technical name is Alumabeam.

Yeah, i hope this insanely early cold isnt going to put any delays on construction. Im no expert in construction but i know that there are projects around here (like the Alice's Road\Grand Prairie Parkway extension) that have been put on hold until spring due to the early arrival of winter.

The cold and snow might make things a little more painful but they can still pour concrete in winter. We're doing it on my job in NY and I've seen them do it before at ISU.

cyclonefreak5

Sep 25, 2010
Ames
And this with the addtional "instant winter weather" costs. The video says they are on schedule, too. I hope we go without and big rain events during the project. In the video they show two workers carrying an I-beam - the way they hefted the thing it looked made of aluminum alloy.

Those beams are for the deck shoring and are only temporary. Once the concrete is poured and cures, they get removed.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Anyone have any idea where the project is relative to schedule? I would think with the overall favorable fall weather (limited precip/decent temps) we should be ahead of schedule.

Also, will they be doing concrete work on the upper level over the winter, or will that have to wait until temps warm up?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Anyone have any idea where the project is relative to schedule? I would think with the overall favorable fall weather (limited precip/decent temps) we should be ahead of schedule.

Also, will they be doing concrete work on the upper level over the winter, or will that have to wait until temps warm up?

They havent stopped with concrete yet even during some of our colder days, so i imagine that will continue. Looks like they just poured a large section of concrete today even.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Pollard tweeted that he is "amazed" by the progress, so I suppose that's good

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Second level columns now being framed up . . .

So that deck is down now, and they just poured this morning, that's the main level ((2nd level/floor) of the club - correct?

That steel getting put up is for the roof and scoreboard support (I'd imagine), right?

2.jpg

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

According to this they are 16% complete.

cyclonefreak5

Sep 25, 2010
Ames
They have 4 steel columns set already today. Steel erection should fly--lots of progress over the next couple weeks.